A few questions regarding Meg's products

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile A few questions regarding Meg's products

Hi everyone,

I know that this subject has been brought up numerous times. I have searched and because of the amount of information that is out here, it would take quite awhile to look through all of it.

Anyways, I am planning on ‘graduating’ from just waxing my vehicles with Turtle Wax to using either Mequire’s or Zaino’s line of products. I have a few questions that involve using the Meg’s line.

From reading several posts, the proper procedure would be the following:

1. Wash (using the 2 bucket method) and evaluate the paint condition
2. Clay if needed
3. Wash again to remove clay residue
4. Use #9 to remove the swirls
5. Polish (I plan on using NXT)
6. Polish again
7. Top with #26

My questions are this…. In order to maintain the shine between waxings, is it required or recommended to use for example NXT car wash and a detailing spray? If so which product(s) should it be? While reading up on the Z line, they say that Z6 should be used after each wash to bring the wet look back out.

Also when it comes to rewaxing, I assume that I can just do steps 5-7 shown above.

Finally, what are you guys (and gals) using as a tire dressing that will last? It seems that Amour All gives the dark wet look for only a couple of days.

Thanks in advance for your input and any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Turtle wax gel is some awesome crap! Use the applicator it comes with and you get a nice even coat on the whole tire. And it won't "sling" off like other stuff.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by tiny1
Hi everyone,

1. Wash (using the 2 bucket method) and evaluate the paint condition
2. Clay if needed
3. Wash again to remove clay residue
4. Use #9 to remove the swirls
5. Polish (I plan on using NXT)
6. Polish again
7. Top with #26

My questions are this…. In order to maintain the shine between waxings, is it required or recommended to use for example NXT car wash and a detailing spray? If so which product(s) should it be? While reading up on the Z line, they say that Z6 should be used after each wash to bring the wet look back out.

Also when it comes to rewaxing, I assume that I can just do steps 5-7 shown above.

Finally, what are you guys (and gals) using as a tire dressing that will last? It seems that Amour All gives the dark wet look for only a couple of days.

Thanks in advance for your input and any suggestions are appreciated.
Well, here's my take on a full detail using a PC/G100 (every 6 months or so):

1) Wash - using a good quality wash like Meguiar's Gold Class or NXT wash and 2 buckets!
2) Clay if needed
3) You can skip this wash/rinse if you're wiping up your detailer / clay lube well.
4) #80 (my preference) as a cleaner/polish, with a Meguiar's 8006 pad on speed 5. Since it has diminishing abrasives, it really polishes nicely.
5) Some people like to do #7 here for extra gloss. IMO you can go right to NXT or #21. Easily applied with the PC/G100 using a 9006 pad on speed 3. Do 2 coats, waiting 30 minutes or so between coats, just for ensuring complete coverage - not for topping. Since NXT has some slight cleaning abilities, I think it's pretty hard to layer NXT. You can try to top with something like #26, but you'll have to wait at least 24 hours for the NXT to cure before you do so. For me, I just don't have enough "kitchen passes" or consecutive good days to make this a reality.

[Realize that there is a difference between polish and wax - #80/#66/#83/#9 are polishes, NXT/#26/GC/#16 are waxes]

Between waxes (which you should put on every 4-6 weeks or so) wash with a high quality wash like NXT and go over it with something like NXT spray wax for some extra "pop".

When it's time to wax again, you should be able to just rewax with NXT (again, it has some slight cleaning ability).

For tires, I like Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss - lasts a long time and is pretty easy to apply with a Tire Swipe.

Just my $0.03 -

Old 03-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_04Roush
1) Wash - using a good quality wash like Meguiar's Gold Class or NXT wash and 2 buckets!
2) Clay if needed
3) You can skip this wash/rinse if you're wiping up your detailer / clay lube well.
4) #80 (my preference) as a cleaner/polish, with a Meguiar's 8006 pad on speed 5. Since it has diminishing abrasives, it really polishes nicely.
5) Some people like to do #7 here for extra gloss. IMO you can go right to NXT or #21. Easily applied with the PC/G100 using a 9006 pad on speed 3. Do 2 coats, waiting 30 minutes or so between coats, just for ensuring complete coverage - not for topping. Since NXT has some slight cleaning abilities, I think it's pretty hard to layer NXT. You can try to top with something like #26, but you'll have to wait at least 24 hours for the NXT to cure before you do so. For me, I just don't have enough "kitchen passes" or consecutive good days to make this a reality.

[Realize that there is a difference between polish and wax - #80/#66/#83/#9 are polishes, NXT/#26/GC/#16 are waxes]

Between waxes (which you should put on every 4-6 weeks or so) wash with a high quality wash like NXT and go over it with something like NXT spray wax for some extra "pop".

When it's time to wax again, you should be able to just rewax with NXT (again, it has some slight cleaning ability).

For tires, I like Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss - lasts a long time and is pretty easy to apply with a Tire Swipe.

Just my $0.03 -
That's pretty close to my twice-a-year detailing routine, although I use #7 Show Car Glaze followed by one coat of NXT and one coat of #26 Carnuba.

I also do a "touch-up" wax once or twice in between my full details using a single (or double if I have the time and am ambitious) layer of #26 Carnuba.

Works great and it keeps my vehicles looking great year after year!

Quick Reply: A few questions regarding Meg's products