Turtle Wax Ice

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 03:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was probably one of the most disapppointing, overly hyped product I have ever tried. The consistency is like water, and after applying it, you'd be hard pressed to see or feel any difference on your paint. I actually bought it because it said you can use it one rubber and plastic trim without any white residue. It did practically nothing to restore the black trim. I'm sticking with Stoner's Trim Shine for my black pieces.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:40 AM
Originally Posted by hawaiisvt
This was probably one of the most disapppointing, overly hyped product I have ever tried. The consistency is like water, and after applying it, you'd be hard pressed to see or feel any difference on your paint. I actually bought it because it said you can use it one rubber and plastic trim without any white residue. It did practically nothing to restore the black trim. I'm sticking with Stoner's Trim Shine for my black pieces.
That's why I tried it...the trim. No difference I'll probably throw mine in the garbage.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hawaiisvt
Whoa.... let's be fair where it's due... it's not a product that is made for black trim pieces. I'm not defending it's performance but, I think it'd be safe to assume that the reason that 'trim' is even mentioned is because ALL of us will get a bit of 'overlap' on to a trim piece or two when we're applying a coat of wax.

But, then again, your commentation about the paint -- well, I think that's VERY valid... Maybe they spent their product development budget on packaging rather than R&D.

RP

Old 04-06-2006, 10:41 AM
yeah i bought some like a month ago and havnt used it since the first time... i wasnt too impressed and like someone said before... i could hardly tell any diffrernce in my trucks shine... so all in all... i probably wont buy that product again

Old 05-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Don't throw it away

Originally Posted by lariatf150
That's why I tried it...the trim. No difference I'll probably throw mine in the garbage.

Read the package. They will give you your money back with just a little effort on your part. I have a friend who bought a bottle and tried it on hie Miata. I'll have to admit it did a great job. Now he's used all kinds of stuff to get it to shine with lackluster results until he used ICE. I'm keeping a eye on it to see how it fairs. Right now it looks almost new and you would have to have seen what he started with.(no shine at all). My .02 worth

Old 05-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah I think they just mean that it won't leave resdue on plastic not it will polish it. I do think I am gonna try it just to see. I have always used meguiars (sp) but I am gonna try this stuff.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Posted this on the other Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic thread as well

I tried the Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Polish. Used it on my paint, a very small area of plastic trim, and on some of the rubber on my truck. I used it in the direct sunlight, on pretty warm surfaces, and it was 92 degrees outside. I did this to test out their claims of "apply it to all exterior surfaces of your car including rubber moldings, plastic trim, door handles, and headlight and tail lenses. .......you can apply in direct sunlight or on a hot surface with no negative effect whatsoever." I feel that it did as they claimed, and is very comparable to a lot of the other products I have tried that have the normal heat / sunlight / harming plastic restrictions. It left a good shine and reflectivity. As for durability and if there truly is no residue on the plastic / trim, I will just have to wait and see. I was not really afraid of the name Turtle Wax, but was a bit confused as to wether it was a polish or a wax and how they said in their add that it was a syntheitic carnuba. I believe you should never be afraid to try new things and I am glad that I tried this product. But the proof is in the pics

Good shine and reflectivity

No wax residue on the black trim or plastic

Old 05-24-2006, 10:50 AM
I used the Turtle wax Ice on my wifes Matrix and it did a very good job, it was easy to apply and easy to buff off. I also applied it to the black plasic and it did a great job on it, it deepened the black and shined it nicely. I don't know how long it will last, but it was easy to use and did what was expected.
Just watch how much you use, the smaller the amount on the pad the better. I used less than half an ounce to do the whole car. I will use it on my truck after I clay it, hopefully it dose as good a job on the red color of my truck as it does on the lighter gold color of the Matrix.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Moderator &

I think the bottom line is that, like it or hate it, it's a product that is helping to push the industry towards a product with minimal to no residue on plastics. As we all know, the auto makers are using more and more plastic to accomplish what metals used to accomplish. Plastics, in and of themselves, are different beasts to deal with on the exterior of a vehicle and thus, seeing a product like this coming down the pipe and hitting the shelves can't do anything but help this sector of the detailing market.... that's just my opinion as a guy who hasn't tried it and probably won't -- I'll stick with painter's tape for now.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:37 PM
Speaking as one of the guys that loves Meguiars, I am very glad to see this product hit the market. It was long over due. I know from my own experience and the ton of post on sites like this one that many many people have ruined their plastics and rubbber with other very popular products. I'm hoping this maybe the solution, if not at the very least it is forward thinking. Don't be afraid to try something new.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:20 PM
I applied ICE to my new Stang, and it gives it a nice shine:

Old 05-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wild Bill

SHOW OFF nice stang

Old 05-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Quackaddict
SHOW OFF nice stang
LOL, thanks!

Old 05-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
I appreciate that Josh. That's very nice of you to say.

One thing to remember -- way above and beyond what I say -- try some products and see how they do for you. Different people will always get different results and thus, have a different perception about individual products. For me, I'll be up front and honest about things and, even though I might sound like a 'Ra-Ra' guy for Meguiar's, they do have some lousy products too! Trim Detailer, for one -- it smells like vomit, smears, streaks, runs, and is pretty awful (so much so that I didn't even bother giving it to my neighbor -- I just tossed it). Read someone else's opinion of it and they'll sing it's praises like it is the second coming. It's all subjective... definitely live outside the box on occasion and try new things...

I tried out a product that is receiving some raves across several detailing sites yesterday. It's a product from FK1 that is called 425 Ultra-Slick Poly Wipe Spray Detailer. It claims to have some 'anti-static' properties and thus, it has me interested.

My first impression -- eh... it's okay. I've been told by other members here (SSCULLY) and elsewhere that use it to avoid quick judgment so, I'm going to see it out and test a few things before I really pass an opinion. One definite bummer to FK's stuff is that it's almost all sold by bulk so, to try something, you have to shell out $40ish for a gallon. The 425 was closer to $30 so, based on the raves I was reading, I gave it a whirl...

RP
Hey RockPick,
Thanks for referring me to this website.
btw I went to a local pbe shop and they had finish kare's 425 detailing spray I was checkin it out and the owner really loved the stuff and gave me a sample, I tried it out and was like, "nothin special, and definately not as much gloss as Last Touch" So I went back later that week and let him borrow a full bottle of Last Touch from me, a week later, I came back, a whole shelf where the FK1 425 use to be was stocked with Last Touch and he liked Last Touch way more, and he gave me a new bottle cuz he used all that I gave him, although I refused he insisted.
In other words, if you haven't tried Last Touch, RockPick, this is one I think you'll be impressed with. (it's a detailing spray that gives results that stand out more than others)

And as for the Turtle Wax ice.
As someone said, "If if ain't broke, don't fix it."
I would try others but I doubt it'll exceed my expectations like what I already have has done.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Moderator &

I was actually using Last Touch before it was on the market and, I have to disagree. But, before I explain, let me say that I consider these two products to be different in use -- Last Touch has a slight 'cleaning' tense to the product whereas 425 is a sealant (ie: no cleaner). I don't use 425 if there's a ting of dust or slight roadspray or similar... I use LT or, more likely, Poorboy's Spray & Wipe.

Last Touch, to me, is very smeary and falls WAY short of it's predecessor Final Detail. 425 is pretty good but, still not my favorite from a 'spray sealant' standpoint (even though I used it last night following a wipe down with Spray & Wipe). 425 will often yield a 'shadow' look but it soon dissipates after a day outside. One thing is for sure, the 425 darkens the look of the paint -- the anti-static properties are definitely there but not 'strong' -- in short, you'll still end up with dust on the finish but, in my opinion, not as much.

In this realm of products, I still like 4-Star UGE over them all - although, again, it's more of a gloss product and not a QD cleaning product...

RP

Quick Reply: Turtle Wax Ice