Turtle Wax Ice

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turtle Wax Ice

I just saw a commercial for this. It's some kind of wax. It looks really cool. Anybody ever heard of this or used it? Thoughts?

Old 04-04-2006, 04:01 PM
I saw it today as well and was wondering the same thing. Says you can put it on in direct sunlight. Makes me wonder if it's even really wax.

Old 04-04-2006, 05:31 PM
MJN
I was wondering the same thing, saw it in the store last weekend and it looked like water.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:34 PM

I think it's more of a polish than a wax. The infomercial had me convinced it was the best thing out there for my truch though.
But seriously, I wonder how that would work on my finish. I'm thinking about claying it when I get a chance and then maybe just applying that stuff.
Where's RockPick when you need him?

Old 04-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by tardman91
I think it's more of a polish than a wax. The infomercial had me convinced it was the best thing out there for my truch though.
But seriously, I wonder how that would work on my finish. I'm thinking about claying it when I get a chance and then maybe just applying that stuff.
Where's RockPick when you need him?

Take one for the team and do a write up on it.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
RP is here and actually saw your post 4 minutes after you posted -- long story short, he didn't know anything about this product and thus, went to do some research.

His research yielded very very very little information and thus, he didn't report back on his findings.

After a bit more research tonight, I'm still a bit reluctant to offer an opinion but, it has some merit to investigate further.

From what I can tell, it's a WAX (ie: protective coating) that doesn't contain wax (hence, making it a synthetic). But, it's not a 'synthetic' in the truest form of 'synthetic' wax (like the current paradigm of Zaino, NXT, and Synwax). This is a bit different.

I don't think it's going to offer much, if any, help to those of us who fight swirls and such as I don't think it's chemically or abrasively aggressive.

I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say... I don't plan on buying a bottle though.

RP

Old 04-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Well, I read RP's threads/replies like a priest reads the bible. Throughout my readings I have come to one conclusion....This guy knows his stuff. (no i haven't read alll 17,000 of his posts). Unless someone has a really good write up with major about this product, I won't be buyin it either. I'll stick with Meg's and zymol for the moment. But, that's just my $.02.

~..Josh.

Trending Topics

Old 04-05-2006, 06:29 AM
Originally Posted by SlammaJamma
Well, I read RP's threads/replies like a priest reads the bible. Throughout my readings I have come to one conclusion....This guy knows his stuff. (no i haven't read alll 17,000 of his posts). Unless someone has a really good write up with major about this product, I won't be buyin it either. I'll stick with Meg's and zymol for the moment. But, that's just my $.02.

~..Josh.
I agree!!!

Kevin

Old 04-05-2006, 07:32 AM
The fact that the label says "Turtle Wax" is enought to keep me away from it...

If I want to waste $8, Ill go give it to one of those "Will Work For Food" guys that won't work for food.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Moderator &

Well, I certainly won't discount it because of a Brand Name but, I do concur to a certain extent in that their reputation is a bit lower than some. In all fairness though, the Turtle Wax Platinum wasn't a horrible product -- not my favorite but, not bad.

Old 04-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by SlammaJamma

~..Josh.
I appreciate that Josh. That's very nice of you to say.

One thing to remember -- way above and beyond what I say -- try some products and see how they do for you. Different people will always get different results and thus, have a different perception about individual products. For me, I'll be up front and honest about things and, even though I might sound like a 'Ra-Ra' guy for Meguiar's, they do have some lousy products too! Trim Detailer, for one -- it smells like vomit, smears, streaks, runs, and is pretty awful (so much so that I didn't even bother giving it to my neighbor -- I just tossed it). Read someone else's opinion of it and they'll sing it's praises like it is the second coming. It's all subjective... definitely live outside the box on occasion and try new things...

I tried out a product that is receiving some raves across several detailing sites yesterday. It's a product from FK1 that is called 425 Ultra-Slick Poly Wipe Spray Detailer. It claims to have some 'anti-static' properties and thus, it has me interested.

My first impression -- eh... it's okay. I've been told by other members here (SSCULLY) and elsewhere that use it to avoid quick judgment so, I'm going to see it out and test a few things before I really pass an opinion. One definite bummer to FK's stuff is that it's almost all sold by bulk so, to try something, you have to shell out $40ish for a gallon. The 425 was closer to $30 so, based on the raves I was reading, I gave it a whirl...

RP

Old 04-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Exclamation Only for rubber, etc?

I looked at the info for this product on their web site. I don't see any mention of PAINT. It says only rubber, plastic and vinyl trim.

If that's the case, this MAY be perfect for my Advance Cover bed cover and the rubber trim around windows and the plastic bed rail covers. I can't use regular amor all or similar products in these area because it streaks down the side of my black truck when it rains! Perhaps this Turtle Wax Ice is the answer???

Maybe they are saying specifically rubber and so on to let you know it can be used on THOSE surfaces too...and the painted surfaces was implied from the start without mentioning it? Any thoughts? I'm willing to give it a try. My plastic trim and rubber is looking pretty rough these days.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:55 AM
I just bought a bottle of the Ice "Spray Detailer" and will try it out. The bottle says it's for a shine in between waxes...so it's not meant to be used as a wax. The guy at the parts store said customers have been saying good things about it. I mainly want to try it on my bed cover and plastic trim - not the paint. Although it does mention spraying it on body panels, so it is for paint too.

Not sure if there's an Ice product that IS meant to be used as a wax...I didn't look to see.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by lariatf150
I just bought a bottle of the Ice "Spray Detailer" and will try it out. The bottle says it's for a shine in between waxes...so it's not meant to be used as a wax. The guy at the parts store said customers have been saying good things about it. I mainly want to try it on my bed cover and plastic trim - not the paint. Although it does mention spraying it on body panels, so it is for paint too.

Not sure if there's an Ice product that IS meant to be used as a wax...I didn't look to see.
This is a 'Detailing Spray' type of product and thus, should be used as such. In short, you'll use this type of product to remove very light smudges, very very light dust, and very light 'problems'. Don't expect it to provide much protection because, it's not really meant to serve that purpose.

Like many of the other 'Quick Detailer' products on the market, this product is meant to provide a lubricating media between your ultra-nice microfiber towel and the paint. Additionally, this type of product is commonly used as clay lubricant as well.

RP

Old 04-05-2006, 11:03 PM

When I get around to it I want to clay my truck. Then maybe I'll try and put this Ice stuff on it. Can't hurt to give it a try.

Quick Reply: Turtle Wax Ice