Clay bar question....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay bar question....

I know the benefits of using a clay bar on older paint or one that has defects....my question is...could my '06 F150 benefit from the use of a clay bar....my truck is Aspen green and I would like it to "pop". Any suggestions on brands and procedures would be appreciated....thanks....

Old 04-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Indeed your truck will benefit from the clay treatment, even this soon. If I remember correctly, RP bought his new truck and clayed it as soon as he got home and the clay bar looked as if he clayed an old truck of some sort.

As far as brands go, Meg's seems to be the brand of choice around this joint, and its great. Just be sure to wash your truck probably before and after you clay, then you might wanna do the Meg's 3 step procedure.

**If I'm wrong someone correct me**

Old 04-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Slamma is right on pace with what I'd recommend.

My truck was shipped by rail... this, in turn, IMO, contributed to a severe rail dust issue on the paint. Add to that the fact that the stealership where I purchased is located next to a MAJOR railway (that serves Cinci to Louisville) and I had rail dust issues.

I, litereally, trashed a clay bar on my first go at my truck...

Remember though, clay is only one step in many to properly prep your painted surfaces. Clay, in and of itself, will not provide any protection, swirl / cobwebbing removal or depth -- it's simply an abrasive cleaning mechanism.

Take the proper steps to properly prep your vehicle -- it will set you apart from the rest.

RP

Old 04-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Typically, I will use Meguir's #9 swirl remover/ prewax cleaner to rid of most swirls and even industrial fallout. Once that's done, then I clay to make smooth. Remember to get all the spray wax off even if it means lightly reapplying to rid of already dried stuff. Clay bars make smooth. Then I wax with Nanowax from Eagle one. So basically I mix Meguir's, then Mothers claybar, and follow up with Eagle one. Trust me, you won't regret using any of these. Really though, unless you have to, it's alot of work. When the swirls start happening real bad, then it's time. I usually wax 2-3 times a year because I don't have the time to do it 4-5. Run your finger over the paint light, and if you feel crap in the paint, clay time.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Will Clay help with water spots on myb lack paint, or am I screwed?

Old 04-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SlammaJamma
Will Clay help with water spots on myb lack paint, or am I screwed?

There are a couple of different types of water spots... some etch into the paint, others will sit on top of the paint.

For the latter of those two, yes, clay can help. For the earlier of those two, no, clay won't do jack-diddly-doo.

Quick Reply: Clay bar question....