Bought used '04 F150 and A/C stinks? Any Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bought used '04 F150 and A/C stinks? Any Help?

i just bought an '04 F150 last weekend and last night it rained extremely hard last night. when i went to get in the truck this morning... it stunk really bad! it smelled like something got wet and just sat in the truck all night long... that moldy wet smell. i felt around the entire truck... on the carpet, on seats, under seats, behind the dash from the floor, and the headliner. i didn't feel anything wet. when i turn the a/c on the smell gets stronger and i'm pretty sure that's the source of the smell.

any ideas why this stink would pop up outta no where?
i haven't smelt it all week long... could the rain have caused this?
please, any help would be greatly appreciated. also, if you know of a product takes smells out of a/c's then please let me know or provide a link. thanks again.

- Jason

Old 04-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Old 04-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I have had that problem on several vehicles. It seems that what happens is the air intake for the A/C system gets flooded with water, which causes mold and mildew to grow inside, giving you musty smelling air everytime you turn on the vents.

That mildewcide spray that OnBely posted is what's used to kill the mold and (hopefully) eliminate the odor. You "spray" it into the air intake area of your system with the A/C running full blast and it "sucks" the product through the vents, hopefully solving your problem.

I've found that now that I have a garage for my vehicles, I've stopped having the problem. I always had to deal with it when I lived in apartments and had outdoor parking.

Sometimes I've tried the mildewcide spray and had great success, others not -- good luck!

Last edited by ddellwo; 04-22-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:17 PM
i have a remote start system on my truck and have left the ac set to comeon when the truck starts.. if i leave it set that way and then it rains i have smelled the moldy stuff .. but when i leave it off and it rains it doesnt do that... so im thinking that when i leave the switch set to on that it sorta leaves vents open or something.. which brings in the moisture mold smell...

Old 04-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check around to see if any detail shops in your area offer an ozone treatment. This is, by far, the best way to deal with dingy odors and such... at least from my experience and reading.

RP

Quick Reply: Bought used '04 F150 and A/C stinks? Any Help?