Removing black smudges on interior plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 03:35 AM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing black smudges on interior plastic?

Hey all-

I've got an 05 lariat with tan interior and I have a few stubborn black smears on my door panels. I think most of it is from my shoes.

I bought the Meguire's interior spray, but it didn't do much. Anyone know of any aggressive solutions that won't ruin the plastic or remove the color that is supposed to be there?

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2006, 12:59 PM
You could try a brush that doesn't have too hard of bristles. I've used a toothbrush and interior detailer on the plastic where your feet scrape against. After it is all clean, I like to use NXT Cokpit Shine. It makes mu 04 Lariat tan interior shine and dust doesn't collect very quickly.

Kevin

Old 04-28-2006, 08:44 PM
I've used 409 many times in the past with no problems on several different marks. Just rinse well with a warm wet rag and then treat with your Meg's Interior Detailer. Good Luck.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cobra909
I've used 409 many times in the past with no problems on several different marks. Just rinse well with a warm wet rag and then treat with your Meg's Interior Detailer. Good Luck.
This is something that I was going to recommend as well but, I wouldn't use it frequently as I belive it could strip out some of the 'stuff' in the plastics and eventually cause accelerated fading or drying of the plastic.

A long time favorite of mine is the late/great Meguiar's APC+ which I know works but, you're not going to find this particular product any longer... unfortunately.

Like cobra mentioned, after you have it off, then go with your Meg's QDI to leave a nice matte shine (and it'll also provide a very minimal amount of cleaning action too). Remember, QDI isn't necessarily a 'cleaning' product but more of a product to provide lubrication to remove surficial dust and such.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey RockPick,
Autodetailingsolutions just started carrying it, I got some not too long ago.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by F-150 AZ
Hey RockPick,
Autodetailingsolutions just started carrying it, I got some not too long ago.
It's different. Just trust me on this one.

The one that they have out now is similar but, after using it myself, falls short of the late/great APC+.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
Hey all-

I've got an 05 lariat with tan interior and I have a few stubborn black smears on my door panels. I think most of it is from my shoes.

I bought the Meguire's interior spray, but it didn't do much. Anyone know of any aggressive solutions that won't ruin the plastic or remove the color that is supposed to be there?

Thanks!
use GOO GONE it will work and you can buy it at pretty much any store it is a little bottle of a yellow/clear liquid. All you do is put some on a soft cloth and rub the stain out, it works great on everything and it has a nice citrus scent as well... hopes this helps you out.

Trending Topics

Old 04-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Mr. Clean Majic Eraser is great for removing scuffs from interior plastic.

Quick Reply: Removing black smudges on interior plastic?