Leather protection?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather protection?

Does anybody know of a product to help the leather last longer or not discolor? I've been told that Armor-All is not very good (that's what I've used in the past) I have a 2004 lariat that is now just starting to show a small wear spot on the drivers seat. I'm trying to prevent it from getting worse. Any help would be great. Sorry for posting this twice....I didn't see the interior section until after.

Last edited by doctorgts; 04-28-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:57 PM
A quick search of the site will yield more info on the subject than you could have possibly ever wanted. My preference so far has been the conditioner from Griot's Garage. Zymol makes a nice product also. There are many people around here that like Lexol's(sp?) stuff.

Old 04-28-2006, 06:33 PM
All the protectants do just that, i.e. protect. They don't armour plate it to stop wear.
You need to look at what is causing the wear spot.

Is it the billfold in your pocket? Rivet on your Levi 501's? Zipper?

I'd never use Armor All on leather. it's completely the wrong product.
Personally, I use Lexol although as RP would say, there's "oodles" of good products out there.
Just use one which is specific to cleaning and conditioning leather, not a general purpose protectant.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Lexol is an excellent product. I use it in my detail shop every day. The worst wear usually occurs on the left portion of hte drivers seat where you butt rubs everytime you get in and out. The lexol will aid in keep the leather soft and help it to flex better, but over time there is no real cure for it as it is really just normal wear. Other seats do much better, still others fare much worse. The absolute worst ones are the high dollar mercedes seats. They are very soft leather and about the only way to save them is not to get in and out.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lexol is, indeed, a great product that I personally like -- well, at least their conditioner. For an analine leather (like the KR), I DO NOT like their pH balanced cleaner (orange bottle) but, as for conditioners, the Lexol conditioner (brown bottle) is very good stuff.

Another personal favorite of mine on 'coated' leathers (like that of the Lariat) is the Meguiar's Rich Aloe 2-step system. I use it on my wife's Eddie Bauer Explorer and it continues to look stellar.

There are, indeed, 'OODLES' of products on the market. Armor All isn't necessarily the 'worst' product but, there are a lot of products that are better. It'll be up to you to try out a few and come to the conclusion on which is best for you.

EA mentions a good point too IMO... there might be something contributing to the problem that you're experiencing like a rivit on jeans or a zipper on a jacket... definitely something to look in to.

RP

Old 04-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I didn't mention that the cleaner is crap. I still have a jug layin around from 5 years ago when we opened.

Quick Reply: Leather protection?