Boat Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boat Wax?

Alright, I have NOT tried this, but a friend of mine said he use to use boat wax on his car? Would this work. He said it was the best wax he had ever used.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Most boat wax is designed for gel coat paint. Your car or truck has clear coat paint. Its a little more durable, but I have never heard of anyone using it on a car. I don't know of any ramifications

Old 04-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Not that it's boat wax, but I've also heard of using airplane wax. It's got a static bleed something or other to prevent static build up (or something to that effect. This is just what my pilot friend told me.) This wax should be especially good if you're in a dusty area. Since towels (especially microfiber) are meant to build up static to take off dust, etc., your truck will attract dust. Supposedly with this aviation wax, the static is bled off and dust has a hard time sticking.

If all else fails, I use a great Dupont Teflon wax. it's about $6 at wally world.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not terribly familar with aviation products however; I have been approached about detailing a tiny plane once. With that being said, I did some investigative work and found a pretty big chunk of the 'wax' market being located within that sector. I don't know what they all use as their 'selling points' but, static spark is a big issue with avoinics (abrasion with air across metal creates a charge).

As for the Teflon based waxes, many years ago Dupont, the inventor of Teflon (polytetrafluoroethylene - AKA: PTFE) went on record as to stating that the addition of PTFE to a car wax / paint protection product added ABSOLUTELY NO additional protection. Further, I remember reading about PTFE requiring a temperature of at least 600 degrees Farenheit to 'bond' to a painted surface -- so, unless you own a VERY large HIGH POWER oven, it's probably a marketing ploy... I'm not saying that the product isn't a good one but, I am suggesting that it's in the marketing/name recognition of Teflon.

RP

Old 04-30-2006, 06:43 PM
That's a shame. Oh well, it was only a $6 waste (at least I didn't burn like $20). What do u use, RockPick? Judging by your signature photos, it's gotta be something good. Is it Meg's? (Also, I just got the Armor-all gel wash/wax system as a gift from a friend. What do you think about it, before I use it?)

Old 04-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Moderator &

It's probably not a 'waste' but, probably not a product that will be beneficial simply because it has PTFE in it. Of the three products that you mentioned in the other post, I'd stick with the Dupont product over the others based on age and other specifications of the other two products (one being a pure polish and offering no protection).

I use a plethora of products. Honestly, I have favorite combonations on different color paints which are in different condtions... it's all what the paint is asking for which will yield good results.

Painted finish perfection is in the PREP WORK... not in any one product.

RP

Old 04-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Ahhh. I see. Thanks. (BTW, what would that auto polish be good 4 anyway? Anything?)

Old 04-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Moderator &

Polish adds depth and shine... some polishes are abrasive to remove oxidation and swirls/scratches...

#7 is a pure polish meaning that it's only for depth and luster.

Being that it's in a metal can, could you take a picture of it? I may know of someone that would be interested in buying it as he collects old wax/polish containers.

RP

Old 05-01-2006, 12:46 PM
But first send the can to RP so he can detail it RP, when will you be back in MO? I might have a job for you....

Old 05-01-2006, 12:53 PM
I know you are all about Meg products and all RP but I wanted to ask you if this would work: Mother's cleaner wax, then 3M hand glaze, then finish with Mother's carnuba phase three wax. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by RedDragon
I know you are all about Meg products and all RP but I wanted to ask you if this would work: Mother's cleaner wax, then 3M hand glaze, then finish with Mother's carnuba phase three wax. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks.
Shouldn't really have any problems but... here's my question back to you... do you want to use a cleaner wax and then a glaze and then another wax?

Ideally, you'd probably want to go with a light filler/polish as that first step and then keep the others the same. Also, I'd recommend two coats of the Nano (as I always recommend two coats of any last step product to ensure uniform coverage).

RP

Old 05-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
here's my question back to you... do you want to use a cleaner wax and then a glaze and then another wax?

Ideally, you'd probably want to go with a light filler/polish as that first step and then keep the others the same. Also, I'd recommend two coats of the Nano (as I always recommend two coats of any last step product to ensure uniform coverage).

RP

Right, that's what I wanted to know. Whether to use a wax first or start with a polish. I do need to get rid of some water spots, so what do you recommend? Also, are you saying to use the two coats of nano after the mother's carnuba or in place of...? I would still like to use the hand glaze but I need to know what to use before and after it. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Boat Wax?