recommendations on WAX

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recommendations on WAX

Just looking for opinions on a good car wax. Any suggestions? I was going to try the dupont teflon stuff but is there better? i want to take care of my new truck and keep it looking great.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:39 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lots of great products out there on the market... unfortunately, it's somewhat believed that the Teflon (PTFE) thing is a gimmick due to the fact that Dupont went on record as to stating that the addition of PTFE to a wax product added NO protection (because you basically have to heat PTFE up to a minimum of 600 degrees Farenheit before it will actually 'bond' with paint and thus offer any type of PTFE protection). So, with that being said... I'd recommend going with a nice synthetic wax.

In that realm, there are several. Eagle One Nano Wax, Meguiar's NXT, Mother's Synwax are all brands that should be readily available and are SIMPLISTIC to apply/remove. Each will run you around $15 for the bottle but, being that these are synthetic waxes, they will offer greater durability and longevity under normal environmental conditions.

Another option is the Zaino system which is very highly thought of in the detailing world. It isn't, however, available locally and is much more expensive/labor intensive as it requires several steps to get it done. The results, however, are pretty hard to argue - that being that they're very good.

As a tip, apply two coats to ensure uniform coverage across the paint.

G'luck and let us know if you need anything!

Old 05-02-2006, 09:19 AM
I was just checking out the NanoWax and found this:
http://www.eagleone.com/pages/produc...=1121&cat=5010

Anyone use this? You don't have to buff it out???

Old 05-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by kr1mson k1ng
I was just checking out the NanoWax and found this:
http://www.eagleone.com/pages/produc...=1121&cat=5010

Anyone use this? You don't have to buff it out???
While I haven't tried it, I've heard some chatter about it on some of the detailing message boards that I frequent... generally speaking, the consensus is that it's not bad as a 'touch-up' type of wax but falls way short on durability (because it's a carnuba-based wax and not synthetic like the other Nanowax product). BTW, of the four I mentioned, on terms of durability, the overall feel is that Zaino would be the best with Nano being the worst (again, based on reading and personal experience).

RP

Old 05-02-2006, 09:53 AM
If Nano is the worst, I'm trying Zaino for sure because Nano is my personal favorite right now. I hear Techwax by Meguir's is the same as Nano, twice the price. Granted using Nano alone will not produce the greatest results, but it definetely works great after a cleaner and claybar have hit the paint to give it a good foundation. Just my opinion, but I'm probably trying Zaino soon.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:21 AM
I have been using Zaino for years. It is an unbelievable product. It is a multipart product but the time spent is worth it. I usually only have to Zaino my vehicles once a year and then just wash and instant detail the rest of the year. You can purchase online at http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc. I just got my F150 2 months ago and have not had time to get it Zaino'd but the time is coming soon. Another nice thing is you can apply the polish in the direct sun, however I would not recommend it as that usually causes higher beer consumption

Just my 2cents.

Bill "Crash" Youells
05 SCab FX4 Flareside 5.4L

Old 05-02-2006, 10:36 AM
What about Cherry Wet Wax? I've heard great things about it...but RockPick left it out of his almighty list --

Trending Topics

Old 05-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Moderator &

Cherry isn't a synthetic... I hear it's a pretty good product though. The key is to find something that you like and use it often -- I'm stealing that line from a collegue but, it's the truth.

I disagree in that Nano and NXT are 'the same' but, it's all subjective. I definitely give the nod to NXT over Nano but, again, that's me... NXT and Synwax -- tough call IMO.

RP

Old 05-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RP,

Did you just (actually) say that Zaino was a pretty decent product? Geez, I'm trying to eat my lunch here and I almost required a Heimlich maneuver. I'm going to mark my calendar here!

I've got to agree though that Zaino isn't for everybody. It's more of a mating dance than a simple wax job. Don't forget Meg's NXT as a pretty decent and quick product too!

Now, where's that apple go that I choked up? Five second rule!

Old 05-02-2006, 12:06 PM
I just bought and applied Meg's NXT wax this weekend. I have to say that I used Meg's ColorX first, and then followed up with the NXT. It went on easily and was easy to remove. The result was outstanding. I was using Meg's Gold Class, but the NXT is much better! You won't go wrong using that.

Good Luck!

Old 05-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by 2stroked
RP,

Did you just (actually) say that Zaino was a pretty decent product?
I've always thought that it was a good product but, it was more fun to stay on the 'other' side of the fence and give people like Harley#356 and 01XLT crap.

For me though, it's just not worth it. The time factor involved and the mystery of it all far exceeds the benefit in my eyes. Thus, I stick with what I'm comfortable with and use it often.

RP

Old 05-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vote for Meguiars NXT here:

Old 05-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Don't forget Liquid Glass.... Although NXT liquid plus the even coat applicator is my current weapon of choice (still think Liquid Glass is up there with the best, Liquid Glass definitely beads water twice as good as NXT IMO)

Old 05-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Liquid glass is all we used to use on the 61 vet. But, onto the other stuff. I ran into a deal recently and bought the Eagle One Nanowax package with a microfiber towel included for $3.95 They were at a salvage store, I bought all they had and am selling them in store for $9.99 Haven't used them though, glad to hear they are good!

Old 05-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Moderator &

LG is definitely good stuff... and is well respected amongst the detailing world as well...

Quick Reply: recommendations on WAX