Just waxed, results

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just waxed, results

I followed some of the recommendations here reagrding "the best wax" for my truck. Actually i tried a few different types. first i used NXT paste. To be honest, i didn't like it at all. It was hard to remove, it left swirls too. I think it will provide a good barrier but just wasn't easy to work with and required lots of rubbing and buffing and the smudges are still there. I let it dry for over 3 hours.

Next i went with Dupont Teflon. This stuff was easier to work with, but it was as thin as water. didn't really provide much of a shine. couldn't really even feel it after wiping it off. wasn't smooth as silk.

the final wax/sealant i used was good old "RACE GLAZE". this provided a great mirror like finish and was very easy to wipe off. Has anyone ever used this stuff? I am not sure how long this stuff will protect, but seemed to provide the best shine and smoothest finish in the end. I even used it to get the smudges off that the NXT left behind.

I never knew there was so much to wax. I read a post on here that details the difference between carnuba and syn wax. I was never aware of the differences. Oh well, too many choices.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:02 AM
I've never used Race Glaze, but I have one thing to say...

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS

Old 05-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hunter... glad to hear that you found something that you like. That's what's most important.

One thing that I want to mention though is that wax, in and of itself, doesn't leave swirls. My hunch here is that the NXT was either applied too thick and thus you really had to 'work' to get it off of the paint or that the material that you used to apply or remove (or both) caused some problems. This isn't uncommon honestly.

The key to ANY wax or other last step product is to apply in THIN THIN THIN layers. Too thick and you're going to run into removal problems which, in turn, can lead to other problems.

I'm not saying that this is what happend to you -- maybe you have a bad bottle or something else went wrong -- but, either way, I wanted to mention this here... again though, glad you found a product that works well for you.

RP

Old 05-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just applied the NXT and made sure that I put it on really thin. Make sure that you let it dry all the way and then use a good Microfiber towel to remove it. Also make sure that you rotate the spots on the towel to a clean spot. I then applied another coat of was on all top surfaces. Finally, I went back over the whole truck with a clean towel.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:14 AM
No you are right, i did apply it way to thick. i had a hunch that was the problem. i will give it another chance this coming weekend.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I might just add a point on the NXT, I think 3 hours might have been just a bit too long before wiping it off too. I usually work my way around the whole truck applying it, then start taking it off. Yes, and the thickness will kill you too. As much as I love my Zaino, NXT is MUCH quicker - if you do it right.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Of course it should go without saying to wax in the shade to cool metal.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, unless of course you're into that "baked on, took it off with a chisel" look.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by 2stroked
If I might just add a point on the NXT, I think 3 hours might have been just a bit too long before wiping it off too. I usually work my way around the whole truck applying it, then start taking it off. Yes, and the thickness will kill you too. As much as I love my Zaino, NXT is MUCH quicker - if you do it right.
Like he said, the 3 hours was also a factor. Way too long.

I personally wax about 1/3 of the truck with a nice, thin coat, and then I go back and start removing the wax where I started. Repeat the process over and over.

As long as you work fairly quickly, but don't overly rush, the timing is about right. On these larger trucks though, it's usually a safer bet to do 1 or 2, MAYBE 3 panels at a time.

and also like RP said, thin coats...spread it around really well. It helps on removal and saves wax.

I have always found NXT paste to be one of the easiest to work with (Compared to several Mother's products, Gold Class, Zaino system, and other various waxes I've tried including the infamous lame turtle wax lol).

Old 05-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Yeah its laborious if applied too thick.

I usually start with the hood and by the time I'm finished its ready to remove.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Using a PC to apply and remove NXT has always worked very well for me. I apply the wax to the paint, have a drink, change out the pad for a wax removal bonnet, and by that time the wax is ready to by easily removed. By using a PC you get great coverage of the surface with a very small amout of product

Old 05-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Exclamation

Throw the paste out and get the liquid NXT and the Meguiars even coat applicators. It goes on so smooth and thin and wipes off soooo easy... I waxed the entire truck before taking it off and it was sooo smooth and easy compared to the paste NXT and the foam applicator which I find difficult to apply thin and even at the same time.

Quick Reply: Just waxed, results