**PICS** Leather seat help Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation **PICS** Leather seat help Please!!

I need some serious help with my leather seats. I don't know what caused the seats to turn greenish color a long the outer edge (I'm guessing by sliding on them??) I try not to ever slide, but the pictures are from the drivers seat. Passenger side I did not take a picture of, but it's getting the same way as the drivers seat. As I run my fingers on the seat, you can feel where the greenish color is where the leather seems to have thinned out a lot making this color. How can I fix this??? I try to condition the seats and all that does is make the color turn a deeper green until it dries. this looks like crap, but does anyone know how to fix this???

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hard call...

I think the greenish color is because you've worked through the clear coating and are actually abrading the leather's fibers into the color that has been impregnated into the leather. I'm pretty certain that, if you were to use a warm moist rag, that you'd see some of this color on the rag after wiping it -- obviously, this isn't a fix but, more of an observation and confirmation that the clear is off of the leather.

In my professional opinion, you have two options -- the first is to see what an automotive upholstry shop can do for you or, second, a new seat cover.

Best of luck.

RP

Old 05-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick

I'm pretty certain that, if you were to use a warm moist rag, that you'd see some of this color on the rag after wiping it
You are Right RP. The color does come off on a rag after wiping down the seat after I tried to take a warm rag just before taking these pictures to see if I could fix this problem, but no luck myself.

Thanks for the information, although I was hoping the answer would not be to have to replace the seat covers, which sounds like I might have to, but I will check with a shop like you have suggested to see if they are able to make it look a little better before I do the seat cover change on both driver and passenger side seats.

(BTW... How much are we talking about to just replace the lower seat covers about?? Pretty expensive?)

Old 05-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Moderator &

Couldn't even speculate on the cost bud...

Fire Torrie at fastpartsnetwork.com an email -- he's typically VERY quick on the reply.

torrie@fastpartsnetwork.com (formerly fordpartsnetwork.com).

G'luck.

RP

Old 05-13-2006, 06:19 PM
I have a similar problem with my steering wheel, about 60% of the steering wheel has a brownish spot where the leather material must be fading off. It was like that when I bought it. Last guy must havce gripped the wheel hard to make the leather material fade off overtime. Theres no tears in it atleast. I guess I have no choice but to replace my whole wheel, you have it a little more lucky worst you would have to do is replace your lower seat cover with another OEM one. goodluck

Old 05-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Couldn't even speculate on the cost bud...

Fire Torrie at fastpartsnetwork.com an email -- he's typically VERY quick on the reply.

torrie@fastpartsnetwork.com (formerly fordpartsnetwork.com).

G'luck.

RP

Thanks RP, I just shot Torrie an E-mail! Appreciate the help!

Old 05-13-2006, 09:34 PM
I can tell you this. I inquired about having two pieces of the leather on my drivers seat replaced, the one were you have a mark and the front section, and it was quoted at $325. I'll just sit on it as it is, maybe a new seat one day for that price

Old 05-13-2006, 10:26 PM
I E-mailed that guy RP sent me too, in less then 5 mins I got an e-mail back from him. Quoting me at 272.70 for just the lower seat cover on the drivers side, NOT including labor charge!

so to replace both drivers and passengerside lower seat covers, I would be looking at close to 700.00 bucks with Labor charges! OUCH!

Looks like I'm going to get a gray permanent marker and make it look better then it is now. This is not the news I wanted to hear!

Old 05-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Moderator &

Check the upholstry guys too bud...

Anything from FoMoCo, as we all know, is going to be pricey (even at a discounted rate)... You have aftermarket seat cover options as well.

Quick Reply: **PICS** Leather seat help Please!!