Can a PDR remove ding from a crease?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a PDR remove ding from a crease?

For mothers day I told my mother I would detail inside and outside her New 06 Escape Limited with just over 350 Miles on it. It needs a good wax even though its brand new you can feel a roughness to the paint, so I plan to do the clay bar and 3 step wax and so on...

But to get on subject, I went to her house to take a look at the Escape but couldn't do anything since it's raining out. But Looking down the side of the Escape I noticed a pretty nice size ding in the passenger side already! I got my mothers Attention and told her someone already opened up a door on her new car, and it's like I broke her heart when I told her that. I guess she loves her Escape so much that she was depressed the hole day due to this ding on her new Escape.

I told her about the PDR guys and how well of a job they do as they did work on mine last time, but money is running short with her and said she can't spend the money right now just to remove a ding and I know how much the ding bothers her, so I offered to detail inside and out and Pay for the Ding to be popped out, and she was in heaven then after hearing what I would do for her to get it looking new again.

The problem is, now that I looked closer at the ding, it's on a seam, the seam isn't pushed in to much, but JUST right under the seam is the ding. Wonder if a PDR guy can remove that being extremely so close to that seam on a door? Since I offered to take the ding out, It's really up to me now what I can do now. I tried to call my PDR guy but he hasn't called me back yet.

can a PDR guy remove a ding from a seam?

Old 05-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are good and bad (and everything in between) PDR folks out there. I've seen some pretty amazing work done by some of them, but stuff on seams is a problem. I had that exact kind of problem on the rear fender flare on my '05 F-150 and both guys that looked at it said they'd be hard pressed to get it 100% out. The guy I picked got it about 95% out - just like he promised. If I didn't tell you where it was, you'd never know it. In exactly the right light though, it's still barely visible. For the $75.00 it cost me though, it was worth it until I feel like getting the whole quarter panel repainted. At least I don't have masking lines, overspray and the other problems associated with conventional repairs.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
What a good son you are. Yes, I think they can fix that. Coincidently I just got off the phone with a PDR guy and I am taking my truck in in the morning. A tree fell across my driveway with the top landing on my fender and hood. I was able to cut it away leaving only one dent about 2" long. I am going to get that and a door ding fixed. They quoted me $250 over the phone without looking at it.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Check to make sure you have access to the backside of the ding -- that's where they need to get at in order to remove the dent properly.

Unfortunately for me, both times I have wanted to remove a small ding using this process, the PDR guys have told me they couldn't do it since they couldn't get at the backside of the ding because of a double wall body panel!

Old 05-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
David hit it right on the head. If you can't reach it, you can't work it out either. Even if they can reach it, creases are a problem. Remember, what they're doing is basically teasing the metal back into shape from the back side with a variety of tools.

By the way, I'd be more than a bit worried about anybody who gives a quote without ever seeing the actual damage.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:34 PM
I was able to have a dent removed that was on the body line of my 2006 fx4. The PDR guy came out to my house and was not able to reach the dent from the side but said if I took the door panel off myself he would give it a shot. Got it out 100%. Cost me $100 and it was worth every penny

Old 05-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The paintless dent guy we use at work (who is damn good) told me that removing 'em from creases can get sketchy. Won't know 'till you try though.

Old 05-19-2006, 07:51 PM
My dent guy can do it !If you want to drive to NJ.

Quick Reply: Can a PDR remove ding from a crease?