Wet Sanding

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 11:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wet Sanding

I got to looking at my truck today and it looks great but it is 4 years old so there are a few swirl marks etc and it sounds easy enough. But I would feel really dumb if I screwed it up since the truck looks pretty good. Just wondering who has been brave enough to try it.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't even try, unless properly trained. You would then spend alot of money to have it professionally done, some charge close to $1000 just to high speed polish the whole thing. Even if you had to wet sand a small spot, you do it just enough so it matches the rest or else it looks funny. That I would do for smoothing it right out. Personally, I'd wash, dry then cleaner wax it, claybar, then use a wax like Nanowax by Eagle one or Tech wax from Meguir's. The cleaner/ swirl remover does a good job, but the wax was made to fill in beyond that. Try it, less $$$ and messup proof.

Old 05-20-2006, 01:48 AM
Not to be mean but you don't sound like you have much detailing experience. I would not attempt wet sanding unless you are well experienced in detailing AND have a machine to buff the marks out.

A small area you can get by with using an orbital to remove the marks. An entire vehicle you will have to use a rotary or it'll take 2 weeks.

Old 05-20-2006, 11:12 AM
I don't think you are being mean at all nor am I offended or pissed. I don't have a ton of experience with the detailing just basic wax jobs but I am the type that believes you will never learn if you just say its to hard or I might F up so I will just not do it or pay someone else instead of learning.

NOW saying that I am also not stupid and gonna do something that I am completly incapable of doing or know I am gonna screw up.

I have read a lot about it, I know a lot of people do it so I was just seeing if anyone had attempted it and what kind of results they got. You know is this one of those if you take your time things or is this one of those do not attempt unless you have been tought in person how to do it.

I honestly appreciate the input and say thanks for it this is why I love this site people aren't afraid to say something that might hurt your feelings because they are really only trying to help.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Personally, I'd start with a polish with the lightest cut first (with a dual action polisher/sander) and move on from there. If you don't get the results you want, move on to a polish with the next level of abrasiveness.

Even if you spend $50 or more on products, I think you have less of a chance of damaging the finish beyond your ability to repair it. You'd still need the polishes or compounds after wet sanding anyway.

If after exhausting the various cutting levels of polishes/compounds you still feel you need to wet-sand the finish, there are 2000 and 2500 grits available. I wouldn't use anything more coarse than 1500, although some have gotten results using 1200, but you still need to apply polish working from the heaviest cut to the final finishing cut.

Another thing to remember... you're removing the clear. How much of the clear are you willing to remove and still have the base coat protected?

Just my $0.02...

Last edited by Flyin'Hawaiian; 05-21-2006 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:21 PM
I used to cut and buff at a custom paint shop. I'm no expert since I was still learning the craft when I was laid off, but I do know factory paint has very little clear on in it. It's possible to do, but you'll change the finish so you'd have to do every panel consistently. I'd be tempted to flatten my stock paint's peel if I had the tools to do it, and I kinda know what I'm doing, but I ultimately wouldn't risk it. There's just not much clear there.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It sounds to me like you've received some very good advice plus.... wet sanding isn't really the preferred method to attack swirls... in fact, quite the opposite in my opinion.

Old 05-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
It sounds to me like you've received some very good advice plus.... wet sanding isn't really the preferred method to attack swirls... in fact, quite the opposite in my opinion.
I agree. I haven't seen what you're attacking, but I'd probably try some polishing compound. I bought some duplicolor clearcoat at napa and sprayed it onto a small paintbrush, and wiped it into some scratches on my jeep. Works great!

Old 05-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Wetsand it with an angle grinder

Old 05-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Wetsand it with an angle grinder
umm no.

doesn't sound like the risk is worth the reward........as big as this website is I am a little suprised noone has done it though or atleast noone has any input about it (meaning input as far as did and this is what I found out). I respect the opinions of those people who posted them.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Mattineer had his truck wetsanded by the dealer, don't remember why, but he said it ended up looking amazing. I've never tried it, and am scared to do so. I'm pretty sure most people are, mainly because if you mess up just once, you can really mess things up.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Quackaddict
umm no.

doesn't sound like the risk is worth the reward........as big as this website is I am a little suprised noone has done it though or atleast noone has any input about it (meaning input as far as did and this is what I found out). I respect the opinions of those people who posted them.
There's a lot paint correction and care information at Detail City Forums, OCD University, Autopia...There are a ton of other sites.

Old 05-21-2006, 04:50 PM
thanks for the links I will check them out. You guys are right though I think I have a few options to try first. It is funny though for the last 2 weeks whenever I show people my truck for the first time they say wow thats nice what is it an 06. I have to say no it will be 5 years old in Oct.

I am much more into the details though so I see the imperfections.

Quick Reply: Wet Sanding