whats better? hand waxing or using a hand Machine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When applying with the orbital buffer what type of bonnet do you all prefer to use?

Regular Terry? Microfiber?

I always have a hard time finding bonnets for the 9-10 " machine that we have. That is why I have always applied by hand. Also, I always get certain spots that get more wax than others with the buffer, becuase when I add more wax to the bonnet, the spot the gets hit first gets more (I might be the only one this happens to, but I am not sure).

To sum it all up, I seem to only be a novice when it comes to any detail work.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cwbpro69
When applying with the orbital buffer what type of bonnet do you all prefer to use?

Regular Terry? Microfiber?
Foam.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by 98Navi
I said this one time before, and I can't remember if rock agreed or not, but here it is again.

Application with an orbital buffer will give you a more uniform coverage than by hand. The orbital will continuously make the same pressure, whereas by hand you will tire and press harder and softer causing uneveness in the final coat.
I agree totally... pending the user is fairly experienced with the machine (be it orbital, rotary, or DA).

I use MUCH less product when I apply with a machine and, generally speaking, it's typically easier to remove as well because of the uniform coverage.

Old 05-26-2006, 05:09 PM
I found to me a nice little buffer over at Auto Zone for about 75 bucks. I didn't buy it yet, I have a few more questions though before I go out and buy it...

I always read on here about people using number 8 or 9 wax or something to revove swirl marks and what so? what the heck do these numbers mean??

what takes off swirl marks the best way with a buffer and what do these numbers mean??

Old 05-26-2006, 05:19 PM
I would only wax my vehical by hand....if any peice of dirt or sand gets onto the pad it will put the swirls onto the truck.....the best wax i have found so far is meguiars MARINE Quick wax...i have tried tons of different waxes and this seems to work the best....it dosnt say anything about using it on a vehical, it says its for fiberglass......it gives a great shine and took out most of the scratches and swirl marks on my truck......

Old 05-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by mountaineer02v8
I found to me a nice little buffer over at Auto Zone for about 75 bucks. I didn't buy it yet, I have a few more questions though before I go out and buy it...

I always read on here about people using number 8 or 9 wax or something to revove swirl marks and what so? what the heck do these numbers mean??

what takes off swirl marks the best way with a buffer and what do these numbers mean??

I haven't seen the buffer you're talking about but, rather than spending around $100 on something that will, most likely, be average at best, why not spend a little more and get the industry standard for an avid home user? The tool I'm speaking of here is the Dual-Action Polisher from Porter Cable (you'll hear it called a PC or DA). This will utilize a readily available foam pad that is VERY safe when used in a common sense fashion. Check www.autodetailingsolutions.com for more information and the best deal on the internet on the G100 (which is a Porter Cable Dual-Action with a Meguiar's logo on the side -- the Meg's logo gets you a LIFETIME warranty on the unit -- to me, this is a NO BRAINER -- oh yeah, did I mention that, in their kits, you get just about everything you need to get going as soon as the box shows up? -- backing plate, pads, products -- need I say more or explain more)?

As for the numbering system that you hear us talk about -- most likely, we're referring to specific products that are designed to do specific things... some have more abrasive qualities to them and thus, remove more severe swirling and/or scratching... some have much less abrasive and more 'fillers' to conceal swirls and small blemishes -- to achieve the best end result on your finish, you really need to assess it to determine how good or bad your paint really is and then, from there, figure out which products to move towards to achieve the best end results...

I know that's kind of difficult being that you don't understand the numbering schematic but, there are ways to tackle it. Buying a fairly non-aggressive (filler) product like Meguiar's #9 Swirl-Mark Remover and also a more aggressive product like Meguiar's #81 gets you, basically, a nice array of products that will work in different situations and based on how good or bad your paint really is. Beyond that, you'll need a good 'last step product' (or two) to finish up with... this is your 'wax'. Most here would recommend a nice synthetic (me included). But, beyond the synthetic, I like to layer a nice carnauba on top to really give it a deep luster and not a Saran-wrap look (ultra-glossy with no depth).

If you want suggestions on products, that's for another thread.... for now, do a little research on the G-100 or the Porter Cable 7424 (they're the same -- keep in mind, the kit for the G-100 comes with everything you need to roll -- it really is a good deal).

In summary, side-step the AZ buffer.

RP

Old 05-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Blacklariot
I would only wax my vehical by hand....if any peice of dirt or sand gets onto the pad it will put the swirls onto the truck.....the best wax i have found so far is meguiars MARINE Quick wax...i have tried tons of different waxes and this seems to work the best....it dosnt say anything about using it on a vehical, it says its for fiberglass......it gives a great shine and took out most of the scratches and swirl marks on my truck......
Most people can't see a grain of sand. That said, even if you do it by hand (where you will be using more product) then you won't see it due to the wax coverage of the paint.

Also, RP, you use foam to apply the wax? I only use the yellow foam with light grade cuts as it removes the swirls quite efficiantly for me. I then apply with terry cloth. I haven't used microfiber as I have had no issues with terry and the MF are much more expensive and we use a lot of bonnets. Ever tried the Cyclo with terry bonnets? I haven't, but they send me samples all the time.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the replys, and RP, I'm looking very close to buying that buffer you showed me. I mean if I'm going to buy one I my as well buy a good one like that, so thanks for showing me that page!

for now though before I buy that buffer I wanted to see how my Mountaineer turned out by waxing by hand again to see if I can get the swirls off. I waxed it this morning while the weather was very foggy before the sun broke out, I wanted to get it done before the sun came out and I was just in time. 2 hours later this is what I got out of it...

I used "Maguires Scratch X", and put a layer of that over the entire suv, and wiped off. I followed then with whats called "Maguires Gold class wax"

I think it turned out fairly well, 10 times better then how it was before I did anything with it, but I think theres still room for improvement as thats why I'm looking into a buffer.

My camera isn't to good so I did take one picture of the final result. As you can see, my mans best Friend was my side kick for the morning making sure I do a good job, I think he got bored and fell a sleep in front of the Mounty. lol

this is how it turned out so far...
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Moderator &

Navi -- Absolutely; I use foam to apply wax. A 9006 Finishing pad. IMO, terry has more cut than foam.

Moutaineer... looks good bud. Let us know if you have any other questions. Black is a beast but, as you've demonstrated, when it's clean, it looks good.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Sheesh. Now I want to go out and buy some detailing stuff. I've got a DA that my friend "borrowed" from the Yota dealership that he works at Right now I'm just working on cleaning the dang truck, you guys would crap your pants if you saw how many bugs were on it at the moment I'm hoping to wash it later tonight when the sun goes down.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick

Moutaineer... looks good bud. Let us know if you have any other questions. Black is a beast but, as you've demonstrated, when it's clean, it looks good.
Thanks RP, that coming from you means a lot

I've been finding myself today staring out the window admiring the beauty lol

Quick Reply: whats better? hand waxing or using a hand Machine?