whats better? hand waxing or using a hand Machine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats better? hand waxing or using a hand Machine?

my truck needs a good waxing and it's got a little bit of swirl marks that I can't seem to get off by waxing by hand.

I never had one of those hand Machine things before to put on and off the wax. Are those better to use then doing wax by hand?

Can you put on and take off wax with a hand held waxer too? or just have it to put on and take off by hand?

Old 05-24-2006, 09:39 PM
I would apply with one, but am mixed on removing the wax with it. Even if you do, go over it once or twice more so there are no waxing swirls and residue left. A good microfibre cloth does great here.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:22 AM
Originally Posted by mountaineer02v8
my truck needs a good waxing and it's got a little bit of swirl marks that I can't seem to get off by waxing by hand.

I never had one of those hand Machine things before to put on and off the wax. Are those better to use then doing wax by hand?

Can you put on and take off wax with a hand held waxer too? or just have it to put on and take off by hand?
Matt

Given your past record with mishaps on your vehicles, DO NOT USE A MACHINE

Old 05-25-2006, 04:37 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Matt use the chainsaw to apply it and then take it off by hand.... yeah that will work... or wait no its the othere way around .... sorry...:santa: poor paint ...

Old 05-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I concur with the initial response.

For a 'wax', I actually don't have a preferred method. The machine, obviously, is quicker.

For removal of wax/polish/anything, I don't like the machine although I have used it. Bonnets tend to 'cake' up and don't allow the dust to escape and thus, have the potential, in my opinion, to mar a finish.

RP

Old 05-25-2006, 08:50 AM
I have been detailing vehicles for years and I like hand waxing always. I only use a buffer with compounding or sometimes polishing. The best stuff I've ever used and believe me I've tried them all is at prowax.com

Old 05-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Matt,

Don't worry about the way the paint looks, after the tree falls on it they will paint the whole thing and make it look shiney and new.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Has anybody tried Nu Finish Scratch Doctor? I bought a bottle of it but haven't used it yet. I have a few scratches into the clear coat and some hazing that I hope it will take out.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KRCANUCK
Has anybody tried Nu Finish Scratch Doctor? I bought a bottle of it but haven't used it yet. I have a few scratches into the clear coat and some hazing that I hope it will take out.
Average at best. There are worse but, there are a lot that are better. My 'trial' bottle of this went in the garbage LONG ago.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:54 PM
I said this one time before, and I can't remember if rock agreed or not, but here it is again.

Application with an orbital buffer will give you a more uniform coverage than by hand. The orbital will continuously make the same pressure, whereas by hand you will tire and press harder and softer causing uneveness in the final coat.

Removing, well, to each his own. I don't do it becuase like rp said, the bonnets cake up and make a mess. You can use a towel underneath but its still a pain in the azz.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the reply's!

Tomorrow I think I'll take a ride over to Auto Zone and take a look at what kind of buffers they have. If one catches my eye, I'll go for it. I just never used one before so this is why I was curious about using one.

Thanks again!

Old 05-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I see no good coming from this.

The next thread? "Hey Guys, What Color is Ford primer...?"

Old 05-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Like Mr. Miyagi said "No no Daniel son! Wax on, Wax off, Wax on Wax off!" See not turn on, turn off! Daniel also got that hot girl in the end!

Old 05-25-2006, 09:54 PM
If you buy a buffer, get one that has a normal size pad. Go with a 7 or 9" the 8 and 11" are sometimes hard to come by.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Well my whole family has been in the car washing/ detailing buisness since 1962 so i might know a few things about this sort of thingy. I have known people that have gone out and bought their own buffers and they have come cryin to me when they messed up their paint job and then they go spend a crap load of money getting it fixed by a proffesional (usually my families place). Im not just sayin this but I would just leave something as important as my paint to people who know what they are doing. But if you want to get swirl marks out, I think meguires or eagle one makes a spray that you spray after you hand wax it that you wipe off and it get rid of swirls but i am not sure, youll have to research it. I hope this helps

Quick Reply: whats better? hand waxing or using a hand Machine?