Can't get rid of wax film...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't get rid of wax film...

I finally got most of the ext. of my truck detailed out after 6 hours and now I have the rims to do tomrrow. Now there is a "film" or cloudy look, you can't see it from 2 ft away but any closer you can. I washed the truck, then dryied it all, the applied Meguiars Deep Crystal 3 step system, went through all the steps and put on 2 coats of wax. All in my garage in the shade, I did everything by hand useing applicators and Microfiber cloths. What did I do wrong and also how do I get rid of this filmy/cloudy look??

Paul

Old 05-28-2006, 06:00 PM
that happens to me too.

I take a damp micro towel and wipe down the truck. I get that film almost every single time I wax my truck. It comes off with a wet towel for me.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Sounds like two things to me, but I may be wrong. Drying times are critical for the waxes, polishes or cleaners to set up. Either it was not left on long enough or too long.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:56 PM
If it doesn't dry long enough, it is possible to get a haze effect. Get some last detail (or final inspection I can't remember the meg's name) and wipe it down good and it should come off. This is more likely on black and dark colors

Old 05-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Every time I wax my vehicles I wash them afterwards. It gets rid of the residue (haze) that you can't get totally clean when you wipe the wax off.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another thought, you may have layed the wax on too thick.Just an educated guess. Thin coats of wax and the recommended drying time will give you the best results and is easier to remove.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would concur that it was a lack of setup time but, I too have experienced this problem when I'm almost certain that I allowed the time for setup...

On black, you'll see this happen more often versus other colors (since black shows everything). The solution, simply wait -- give it about a day to maybe two in warm temperatures and it'll vanish. I know that sounds 'goofy' but, this is one of the EXACT reasons that I recommend that folks withhold judgment on their vehicle's finish when using a carnauba until the next day (or even the day after).

Old 05-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Thats about right. I wipe them down cause customers complain and won't wait. And Black, as usual, is the worst

Old 05-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks guys!! I guess that I will just wait a day or two and see what happens. I thought that I let the wax sit long enough. I waxed the whole truck, went in had lunch and watch Extreme 4X4 and Trucks (so it sat for about 1 hr). Then wiped the entire truck down, and applied the 2nd coat, waited another 45 min, and wiped it down again.... Oh well, but thanks for all the help!!!

Paul

Old 05-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Be patient on this one Paul... I think you'll see that it works itself out after a day or two.... a VERY light wipe down with a QD moistened towel/surface won't hurt your cause either. Don't scrub!! You're evening out the appearance of any smears -- not trying to remove it.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:48 PM
I didn't think that on a carnauba wax you needed to wait between coats, etc. I do it wet-on, wet-off (Karate-kid style), 'cause that's what the famous detailing pros do, or so they say. I've never had a haze problem, but since I'm detailing my truck tomorrow, I'll probably curse myself saying it...

Quick Reply: Can't get rid of wax film...