Leather steering wheel care

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather steering wheel care

Hello everyone, I have an 05 f150 fx4 with the black interior and leather steering wheel. I use Meguiar's nxt tech protect as an interior protectant except on the steering wheel. I am pretty sure if I use the nxt stuff on the steering wheel, it will make it slippery and wouldn't be too safe. Can anyone recommend a good leather cleaner/conditioner/protectant? I tried searching but couldn't find any updated info. Thanks everyone!

Old 06-09-2006, 04:06 AM
I'm surprised the search didn't throw anything up as this has been discussed a lot lately.

However........

1. Don't get the leather dirty in the first place. Wash your hands

2. If it does get dirty, Johnsons baby soap and a damp sponge normaly does the trick. Don't let crud get hammered in and baked on. Clean immediately.

3. Personally, I like Lexol Conditioner although the Megs is good as are many other top brands.

Old 06-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks EnglishAdam, i'll give the Lexol a try.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had great luck with 303 Protectant. It is supposed to be a silicone free protectant. It cleans very well and the wheel doesn't feel greasy with it on there. 303 is usually available at boating stores.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:40 PM
I just use

I keep these leather wipes in the truck door and when I need one I have them there. Once the wheel is dry it isn't slippery.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by vader716
I just use

I keep these leather wipes in the truck door and when I need one I have them there. Once the wheel is dry it isn't slippery.
Thanks Vader, I bought a container of those the other day and you're right, the steering wheel was slippery until dry but cleans really well. It took about a day for the slippery feel to stop. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by SC_05FX4; 06-22-2006 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by Bent6
I've had great luck with 303 Protectant. It is supposed to be a silicone free protectant. It cleans very well and the wheel doesn't feel greasy with it on there. 303 is usually available at boating stores.
Thanks Bent6, I'll try the 303 too. I've heard it's pretty good stuff.

Trending Topics

Old 06-18-2006, 02:19 AM
Take care of it while you can, you dont want your to look like mine...

I did not do this to my steering wheel, I bought the truck with the wheel like that, the previous owner must have gripped hard with gloves or something.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by ws6_guyscrew

I did not do this to my steering wheel, I bought the truck with the wheel like that, the previous owner must have gripped hard with gloves or something.
I had a '98 Malibu on which the wheel looked like that too and I babied that car. I think it has more to do with the material of the wheel as opposed to how it was used or cared for and it was actually a similar colour so who knows if that has anything to do with it.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:47 PM

Thanks ws6, that's what I'm going to try to prevent.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by candrusiak
I had a '98 Malibu on which the wheel looked like that too and I babied that car. I think it has more to do with the material of the wheel as opposed to how it was used or cared for and it was actually a similar colour so who knows if that has anything to do with it.
I agree.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:20 AM

I've been trying to figure this out. It's happened to every vehicle my dad drives and trust me he's not wearing gloves or working construction. I think it has something to do with the natural oils on some persons hands that removes the stain from leather. (in all seriousness)

OR

It has to do with someone pumping gas, getting it on their hands and then driving.

Duke

Old 06-23-2006, 02:09 PM
as soon as i purchased my truck i added a cheap grey coloured cloth cover from a local shop over mine to protect it. your hands will sweat and ruin the leather just like the pictures above. mine still looks like new and you can't really tell i have a cover on it. just remove and wash once in a while and that's it.

Quick Reply: Leather steering wheel care