Clay Bar Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay Bar Questions

I'm about to clay my truck today. I just gave it a really good wash and got all the dirt off. Now I'm ready to clay.
Is there a particular brand that everyone likes?
Any tips/tricks?
And after I clay can I apply wax, or do I have to wash it again?

I tried a search and got 1,000,001 htis, so this is just easier. Thanks!

Also, can I clay in direct sunlight, or is that not a good idea? Garage space is kind of limited at my house.

Last edited by tardman91; 06-20-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:40 PM
I use Meguiar's Clay kit. It's simple, just follow the directions. Use a good lubrication and you'll be fine. I would try to do it in the shade. Direct sunlight will dry out the detailer. Do not use the clay "when" you drop it.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by tardman91
I'm about to clay my truck today. I just gave it a really good wash and got all the dirt off. Now I'm ready to clay.
Any tips/tricks?

Also, can I clay in direct sunlight, or is that not a good idea? Garage space is kind of limited at my house.
my only advice...when you get the clay bar, cut it in half, store one in the bag and use the other in case you drop it.

Your paint will feel silky smooth when you get done. It's pretty cool.

you should be able to do your truck in 1-2 hours.

Last edited by RollingRock; 06-20-2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:20 PM
And yes wash it after using the claybar.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Any tips/tricks?

I agree with both tardman91 and ZAXJAX. Try to clay in the shade, make sure that the panels are cool to the touch. You don't want the detailing spray or lubricant to dry off, you want to wipe it dry before you move onto another panel. I use back and forth motions with the clay while it's gliding across the panel. And I do a couple of passes over each square inch to make sure I don't miss anything. You shouldn't use pressure when claying either, just let it glide. After you clay you can apply a wax (assuming there's no tar or scratches you want to remove). Washing again is what some do because they most likely didn't completely dry off the sections they clayed after using the spray detailer. I like to use Meguiar's clays. Either the Quik Clay kit, Smooth Surface Clay kit, or their mild professional line clay bar are safe to use. I go through about 32-48 oz of detailing spray so make sure you have extra bottles handy. I'd cut the clay bar in half on the Quik Clay kit but not for the smooth surface kit because it already comes in halves. Just in case you drop the bar (you will need it throw away) and have the other half handy. And I just go from the top down, starting with the horizontal panels. And remember to keep folding and kneading the clay bar whenever you start to see contaminants building up.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by ZAXJAX
I use Meguiar's Clay kit.
Thats what I use.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:15 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I went and got a ClayMagic bar and did it this afternoon. It was a lot easier than I thought. This was the first time I ever used clay and I will continue to use it now. The paint was SO SMOOTH after I was done. Then I waxed it and now the finish is unbelieveable!

Trending Topics

Old 06-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I went and got a ClayMagic bar and did it this afternoon. It was a lot easier than I thought. This was the first time I ever used clay and I will continue to use it now. The paint was SO SMOOTH after I was done. Then I waxed it and now the finish is unbelieveable!
I was so impressed how the paint felt after I did the treatment....question now is, how often can you use the clay bar? What is recommended?

JP

Old 06-20-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by RollingRock
I was so impressed how the paint felt after I did the treatment....question now is, how often can you use the clay bar? What is recommended?

JP
I believe after you are done with it you should throw it away. I cut mine into 4 pieces after I unwraped it for two reasons. First, I would have a backup in case I dropped it, and secondly, because I only used 1/2 of it for the truck. Now I can use the other half in a couple of months when it needs to be done again.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:07 PM
I believe after you are done with it you should throw it away. I cut mine into 4 pieces after I unwraped it for two reasons. First, I would have a backup in case I dropped it, and secondly, because I only used 1/2 of it for the truck. Now I can use the other half in a couple of months when it needs to be done again.
Sorry, my question is how often can you use the clay bar treatment on the paint? What is too much or not enough?

Old 06-20-2006, 10:00 PM

Sorry, my question is how often can you use the clay bar treatment on the paint? What is too much or not enough?
I think on the box it said you could use it with every wash or something crazy like that. I'm not sure how that would effect the paint, but I think once every 3-6 months should be more than necessary.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:03 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The answer to this one is "as needed". Assess your paint before and after every wash and/or detail cycle. If the paint feels 'rough' to the touch, it may be time to consider going back to the clay bar to remove the bonded contamination.

Different environments will yield different time schedules on claying... for example, in a heavy industrial area or near a railway, you'll find yourself needing to clay more often than if you're in suburbia and garaging the vehicle every night.

RP

Old 06-21-2006, 01:37 AM
Keep in mind that the claying process removes any wax protection that was on there before

Old 06-21-2006, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
The answer to this one is "as needed". Assess your paint before and after every wash and/or detail cycle. If the paint feels 'rough' to the touch, it may be time to consider going back to the clay bar to remove the bonded contamination.

Different environments will yield different time schedules on claying... for example, in a heavy industrial area or near a railway, you'll find yourself needing to clay more often than if you're in suburbia and garaging the vehicle every night.

RP
As usual RockPick you are the master and we are the grasshoppers.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar Questions