Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consumer Reports Rates Waxes

Its a quick read to be sure but have a look:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/060621-4.htm

Some interesting things there.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah... it is interesting. I've tried the Black Magic stuff (because it was on closeout for $1.00 @ Advanced and found it to be one of the worst products I've ever tried -- and I've tried a bunch.

It's all in the eyes of the beholder... there are, indeed, a bunch of great products out there... I'd have to go on record as saying that I cannot believe that they'd give the 'top nod' to this product. Everyone is entitled to their opinion...

RP

Old 06-21-2006, 09:48 AM
This might be my favorite line:
"The magazine also noted that the Turtle Wax T-6 "can cause slight scratching or hazing on newer, dark-coloured finishes.""

Sounds like a great product there.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:54 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by candrusiak
This might be my favorite line:
"The magazine also noted that the Turtle Wax T-6 "can cause slight scratching or hazing on newer, dark-coloured finishes.""

Sounds like a great product there.
I would speculate that the scratching was caused by their techniques but... who knows? I really doubt it has much *that* much cleaning power. Again though, who knows?

I'll keep my own opinions...

Old 06-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah yes, a rating of automotive waxes from the same folks who brought you such "critical" static measurements as "Trunk Liftover Height" and dynamic measurements like the "Moose Avoidance Test." Excuse me whilst I run right out the door and buy whatever they recommend.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Wow- never even named the other brands used. If someone writes in a magazine it's safe to wax your vehicle with peanut butter, someone will do it. Just goes to show the media is always biased.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw that posted a couple weeks ago on another messageboard.
Whatever I'll keep using what works for me.

Trending Topics

Old 06-21-2006, 05:07 PM
I could have been using peanut butter all this time instead of zaino?

Old 06-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ZAXJAX
Wow- never even named the other brands used. If someone writes in a magazine it's safe to wax your vehicle with peanut butter, someone will do it. Just goes to show the media is always biased.
What? Doesn't everyone use peanut butter?

Old 06-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
What? Doesn't everyone use peanut butter?
Yeah! Crunchy Chunky Peanut Butter, with a protective topcoating of grape Jam

I don't think I ever bought into believing that anything Consumer Reports does is impartial, fair, and completely unbiased.

Biased Media! Whatchyoutalkingaboutwillis? They will NEVER let the real true facts get in the way of a good story!

Last edited by Patrick@hmsga; 06-21-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:01 PM
The only way to find the best products are done with trial and error by the user. Enviormental differences will cause products to perform differently, persay what works well in NY may not work so well in AZ!

Old 06-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Yeah... it is interesting. I've tried the Black Magic stuff (because it was on closeout for $1.00 @ Advanced and found it to be one of the worst products I've ever tried -- and I've tried a bunch.

I second that. The first time i ever waxed my truck I used the new Black Magic wet shine stuff. It came out RIDICULOUS. Dont buy it to save your life.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:23 PM
I have never noticed a difference between removing liquid and paste wax. Call me silly but they dry and come off exactly the same to me.

I really want to know when atleast one of these companies is going to educate people to knowing that spray wax is just a booster. It is meant to be used after washing your vehicle between waxings, not to replace a traditional liquid or paste wax.

I would like to know how they prepared the vehicles that they tested the wax on before actually applying the wax. Just like RockPick says, and it's the truth, prep is everything.

There are really good waxes on the market that are not overly expensive. For instance, one of my favorite waxes to use on my moms Crown Victoria is simply Mothers California Gold. It really brings out a nice shine with a lot of depth into her metallic gold paint. I think a bottle of it runs at around $7 in Wally World. At the same time though, I take my time and prepare the paint properly for the wax. I don't just run some soap over it and then cake on any old wax.

- Chris

Old 06-22-2006, 09:41 AM
I really want to know when atleast one of these companies is going to educate people to knowing that spray wax is just a booster. It is meant to be used after washing your vehicle between waxings, not to replace a traditional liquid or paste wax
Its not necassarily a booster. Its more or less in *most* cases a liquid drying agent that aids in *breaking* water off the car so that under conditions like rain the rainwater will get off the car faster, leaving less the likelyhood of water spots. Its also aids in getter a drier car faster after washing. It is NOT a replacement for a wax applied that is liquid or paste.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Ah yes, a rating of automotive waxes from the same folks who brought you such "critical" static measurements as "Trunk Liftover Height" and dynamic measurements like the "Moose Avoidance Test." Excuse me whilst I run right out the door and buy whatever they recommend.

the same people that tell us that the Tribute is far superior to the Escape and the Matrix far superior to the Vibe

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Rates Waxes