Forever Black Bumper and Trim Dye

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 03:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forever Black Bumper and Trim Dye

I just ordered a Forever Black Bumper and Trim Dye kit.

Would somebody who has used this tell me the pros and cons of this product?

Old 06-26-2006, 10:45 PM

Well, I removed a couple of bumper stickers and used some "3M Adhesive & Wax Remover" to take the gummy remains off. The 3M Remover did a great job getting the Adhesive off the bumper.

I tried some "Stoner Tarminator" on my trim and it looked good until I washed the truck with soap afterwards. Now the black trims looks kind of white. I don't know if the Tarminator did this but I sprayed some on my wind shield wipers and the plastic on one of the windshield wipers was brittle and broke in a few places. The Forever Black came today but I was not home to receive it. I will pick it up at the post office tommorrow. I will wash the truck every day for the rest of the week and then apply the Forever Black this weekend.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most folks aren't a big fan of the Forever Black product but, I'm sure some love it.

I typically hear people mentioning that it runs quite a bit and gets blotchy looking but... be sure to update us on your experience with it. You may end up with much better results.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:35 PM

Thanks RockPick.

I have been reading on the web that it usually takes more than one coat to get good results. The bottle has a sponge applicator on it like quik-shine shoe polish. I also read that folks have better luck with it using a cloth applicator instead of the sponge applicator.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:30 PM

I put some on the top of the tailgate trim and on the tailgate handle. The bottle says to tape off areas of application and thats what I will do from now on. I got some on the paint and it takes a bit of work to get it off. I just dabbed it on and then went back and smoothed it out with a cloth. I will probably try a second application tommorrow. The trim I am working on looks gray but some of the truck trim is black. The front bumper and the trim around the bed is gray and my plan is to make all of the trim black. I will try to remember to take a picture before I do the rest of the trim for the sake of posterity.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:32 PM

The Forever Black turned out pretty good. I had to put on 2 or 3 coats and then I put Mothers Back to Black over the Top of it. I wish I would have found out about the gasoline and two-cycle oil mixed 1:33 to clean the trim before I applied the Forever Black. It sure cleans that old dirt and wax off the trim nicely.

Quick Reply: Forever Black Bumper and Trim Dye