Mothers Aluminum Polish

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mothers Aluminum Polish

I love this stuff. It leaves the best shine on a rim that I have ever used. I suggest buying it. Here is some picks and I know i know the rim was really dirty before(btw its my grandmas car)
BEFORE:

AFTER:

I have used 1 bottle of it and it impresses me eveytime....

Old 06-25-2006, 01:17 PM
No offense but if you're using mothers you're working to hard with an inferior product.

Get your hands on a product called semichrome and you'll be amazed...you will wish you had found it years earlier.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Old 06-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's perfectly OK to be happy with a product that works for you, but you might want to remember that the wheels you used it on are chrome plated. I don't look at chrome as an acid test for a metal polish. Just about anything will bring them back. (Try Meg's NXT and see what I mean - and that leaves a protective coating on after you wipe it off!)

Now, if you want to talk acid test, try a polished aluminum wheel with no clear coat to protect it. A polish that can bring one of those bad boys back gets my vote here.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's probably a clearcoated wheel being that it's factory... my hunch is that 409 would've done about the same... not advocating 409 on wheels but, it's not impossible to bring back a wheel that is VERY far gone with clearcoating...

It does, indeed, look good though.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:06 PM
I have used Mothers on my Centerline wheels on my Chevy. The wheels are polished aluminum and probably over ten years old. It produces an excellent shine. Going to put on chrome 20's on my F150 and may try it on those too.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:48 AM
I'm not saying that mothers doesn't work and won't make you happy. I've worked in a chrome plating/ polishing shop when i was younger, and have owned and currently own about 5 completely chromed and polished out motorcycles.

I usually strive to use the best product (don't we all)! And if possible one that saves me time. Simichrome is one such product. I've tried anything and everything on all ferrous and non ferrous metals. I'm not suggesting you use it on your polishing wheel in the place of rouge to polish out parts and strip paint..etc etc..But as far as maintenance of chrome/ polished parts go...it is the best on the market..Even stainless parts, in which simichrome is the recomended last step before drastic measure such as an electropolishing procedure (I think mostly cold perchloric acid combinations)....and if you're really looking to protect them once chromed....try some wax...USUALLY (and i have not used NXT polish) a product that does it all....cleans and protects etc etc, is usually the best at neither. Maybe I'm just a perfectionist.....But i think we all want to use whats best. Again, consult someone in the polishing industry....at least 95% of people will say the same about simichrome's use on ferrous and non ferrous metals.....Just try it and you'll see....

Last edited by hotstang46; 06-27-2006 at 03:02 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 06-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Again, if it's a clearcoated wheel... metal polishes probably aren't your best choice of attack IMO...

Old 06-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Is Simichrome good for billet aluminum?

Old 06-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by hotstang46
No offense but if you're using mothers you're working to hard with an inferior product.
X2

I just about blew out both elbows trying to use that stuff successfully on the last set of polished aluminum wheels I had.

I wound up using Flitz which made the job 100 times easier. I also started washing my wheels religiously to keep from having to use anything to bring them back.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by quackrstackr
X2

I just about blew out both elbows trying to use that stuff successfully on the last set of polished aluminum wheels I had.

I wound up using Flitz which made the job 100 times easier. I also started washing my wheels religiously to keep from having to use anything to bring them back.
I use it with a mothers powerball. I hand did those rims and they only took me about an hour for all 4 of them....

Old 06-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Rio J
Is Simichrome good for billet aluminum?
simichrome is great for billet.....

Old 06-27-2006, 05:10 PM
For all of you that have a polished/ aluminum/ chrome wheel and are not sure if it's polished.....

If you know what clear coat feels like with your finger nail, you can use the finger nail test to see if your finger nail glides over the surface then it more than likely has no clear. If you finger nail does not glide then it probably has clear. Test this by finding something you know is solid chrome and a chrome rim that has clear. Just be careful with the amount of pressure you use, you are only testing for the glidding effect, you are not trying to scratch or remove something from the surface. (little pressure).

You can also get an idea of the clear by feeling the clear on painted rims. The clear is almost the same, this will help you get an idea if you can not find a chrome rim with clear.

If it's cleared....and not yellowed/ or in extremely bad condition....use the least abrasive cleaners possible and you should be fine...ie soap anda water..followed with wax.....If you're like most and have no clear......use the semichrome and marvel at the shine..then wax as well....(flitz is alright as well, I just prefer semichrome) Hope this helps some of you!!

Old 07-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by hotstang46
simichrome is great for billet.....
Simichrome is great. I ordered a tube from Ebay last week and it arrived last night. I have a lot of billet parts from Chickenears and the Simichrome really makes polishing it a lot easier. It even took out a lot of the micro marring and haze that the Mothers polish left behind. I always dreaded polishing my billet but now it's a breeze.

If I had a camera that was worth a damn I would take some before and after pictures but it is great polish. Thanks for the tip hotstang.

Last edited by Rio J; 07-06-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Does any stores carry this? I will try it and see which is better. My wheels on truck are bad. They have like little white dots everywhere that even scrubbing won't take off.

Quick Reply: Mothers Aluminum Polish