Bought a new 06 FX6 SCrew, Need detailing help, want to start off on the right foot

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a new 06 FX6 SCrew, Need detailing help, want to start off on the right foot

As you can see this is the wifes new toy, and I'm the sucker that gets to clean it . I get to tow my Trans Am when needed though, so I guess it's a fair trade.

As the posts states, the truck is brand new. We decided to take the truck back home for a visit. The southwest is pretty dry and we got slammed with 70mph winds and dirt to go along with it. :bang: The front was covered with bugs but the very next morning I bought some bug remover, a waffle weave towel and a microfiber wash mit. All from autozone, yeah I know not the best but I didn't have anything with me. I'm back home now and the truck is covered with bugs and thanks to a rain storm last night is now coated with dirt.

For starters, how should I wash the truck without causing damage to the clear coat with the layer of dirt that is on it?

I have a porter cable and the basic pad kit from autogeek.net and also the basic Zaino kit.

Should I prep the car just as I would any other (claybar etc)? Is it even needed? There is a lot of orange peel, would starting with a orange pad help to eventually work some of that down (with time).

I'm am pretty new to this serious type of car car stuff and have a Ranger to practice on before I start with the truck, but I really want to at least clean her up.

Thanks anybody for your help.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:17 AM
Exclamation Ice it

All I have to say is Ice it. It's a new liquid wax called ice works on plastics and all. a little pricy at 20 bucks a bottle but so worth it and clear coat safe

Old 06-27-2006, 03:35 AM
Suspended
start with VERY VERY thorough rinsing. Also, give some time for water and maybe some "bug off spray" to loosen it up, and then rinse some more. then, fill a bucket with your soapy water and wash mitt and VERY gently wash the TOP half of the truck. Rinse your bucket and start over and do the bottom half.

Then be VERY sure to rinse it throughly again and then hit it up with the clay bar for sure.

After that you should start with any abrasives you plan on using, and be sure to follow up with at least one coat of zaino by the end of the day. Or if you run out of time just rinse it again tomorrow and then spend the day applying zaino.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
and then spend the day applying zaino.
And that's not hyperbole...

Old 07-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Living in the South we have a problem with 'love bugs'. I've found that a wet Bounce drier cloth works very good at getting bugs off with out scrathing the cc.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:54 PM
I'd wash it using a quality soap, being sure to rinse the mitt often using second bucket with clean water in it. Try not to rub too hard when taking off the grit, but that's easier said than done. If you can, mix the bug stuff with some wash soap and let it sit on the crud for a while before you take the mitt to it.

Then clay it, even if it is new; it's probably got rail dust and other airborne contaminants on it. You'll be surprised looking at the clay when you're doing it. You'll see specks of crap in the clay.

Wash it again, then polish it with the PC, seal it, and finally wax it.

Last edited by Flyin'Hawaiian; 07-03-2006 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Bought a new 06 FX6 SCrew, Need detailing help, want to start off on the right foot