OK to spray engine bay with hose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumadar
...So I think newer engines might be better off than the older ones.
Interesting perspective. I'd probably flip-flop that in my opinion though... electrical instrumentation has come a long way wince the late 80's.

Again though, like you mentioned, just because you use water in an engine compartment doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to have problems... it's just that one time though -- that's all it takes.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
Interesting perspective. I'd probably flip-flop that in my opinion though... electrical instrumentation has come a long way wince the late 80's.

Again though, like you mentioned, just because you use water in an engine compartment doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to have problems... it's just that one time though -- that's all it takes.
Also a good point.

Maybe the newer engines have MORE electrical- it's just better protected?

We barely hosed his and it filled with water in a few places. Where as I've never experienced that with hundreds and hundreds of brand new cars.

I mean, think about all the massive cosmetic plastic covers in the engines these days comapred to the older cars? Maybe they play a part in "shielding" certain aspects of the engine that would otherwise have problems from the water.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:55 PM
WOW. that is a dirty truck but your windshield is shiny. What kind of windshield blades do you have?

Old 06-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Talking VADER716, Ford wants to speak to you

Something about desecrating your truck, and the fact that maybe you should not have such a nice truck to destroy. Maybe you need a ricer to go Muddin with, everyone likes to see those trucks abused. But no one likes to see a $ 30K truck brought down to salvage value, by playing in the mud.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by XTRUKY
Something about desecrating your truck, and the fact that maybe you should not have such a nice truck to destroy. Maybe you need a ricer to go Muddin with, everyone likes to see those trucks abused. But no one likes to see a $ 30K truck brought down to salvage value, by playing in the mud.
30k....come on...it stickered at 41.

The kids were in the back watching a DVD while Daddy was flooring it through mud pits and off-road trails.

I keep inviting RP to come run his garage queen but so far he keeps ignoring me.

Video of just the mud part (about 20 seconds long)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...75554755772654

Last edited by vader716; 06-30-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by xplorgee
WOW. that is a dirty truck but your windshield is shiny. What kind of windshield blades do you have?
OEM but I need new ones they are 2 years old now

Old 07-01-2006, 03:06 AM
Originally Posted by vader716
I do it but I'm very cautious. In fact the owner's manual recommends it and shows you what should be covered.

Now I would never do anyone else's but I do clean my motor.

Engine degreaser, Castrol SuperClean, brushes and hose.

I've never had a problem.
Same here. I use plastic bags to cover the accessories and duct tape to hold them on. I cover the fuse boxes up front the main Distribution box and after Im done with cleaning the Battery I cover it up as well. I use Degreaser and EZ off oven cleaner, and aircompressor and/or wet-dry vac. No problems yet.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:29 AM
OT----
vader716, great vid - but you would NEVER catch me gassin' it in the mud next to trees. You got stones, bro.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by txnole
OT----
vader716, great vid - but you would NEVER catch me gassin' it in the mud next to trees. You got stones, bro.
Not stones....just too dumb

Old 07-01-2006, 03:26 PM
First Post New Member

Not knowing any better I've always washed my engine off 4-6 times a year while at the car wash. I washed my new FX4 Scab yesterday for the first time. The engine bay was covered in a fine sand from sitting on the dealors lot. I always make shure the engine temp is not to hot. Over twenty years of doing so with no problems yet. I will keep my fingers crossed and go with what has worked for me.

Old 07-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Well heading out to clean the truck...

look for me in the engines forum under "I washed my engine and need help"

(sorry about the tread drift re: off-roading)

Old 07-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Clean clean clean

I just removed everything like That plastic thing on the top of engine The power steering bracket and everything else that was in the way(even my intake), blew it off with compresser and got in there with a rag tooth picks and q-tips (i love my truck very much) its took me about an an hour and a half but the time flys when you start seeing results enother good idea if your are EXTREMELY CAREFUL is a powerball an a drill for the valve covers

Old 07-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Powerwashing the Motor

I have done my 01 Screw, 05 Screw 2001 Mustang, 93 & 97 Sables.
All with my own Pressure Washer, 2500-3,000 Psi, 45 Degree Tip,
But I always have them Running while I am Doing it, 2-3 Minutes and then
I shut down the Engines and I ALWAYS Blow Dry The Motor and ELECTRICAL Components and Everything Else Under the Hood off with my Toro Electric Super Leaf Blower, Not just for Leaves anymore!!!! Works Great. I have not had a Problem in 12 Years. Then I Wash the Vehicles off, and I Blow Dry them off with the Leaf Blower also. Gets all the Water out of the Power Mirriors, and all the nooks and Crannies, I even Blow Dry the Rims and Tires Off.
But I have never had to use an Engine Cleaner such as Gunk engine Degreaser or other Chemicals. just my Experiences. But these where all with FORD Products. Maybe GM isn,t as Water Compatable??
Seriously just my 2 cents worth. KR Paul

Old 07-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by tbizzle
It's a truck for crying out loud. I'm thinking it is supposed to get dirty.
Ya right... I don't even take my MX bikes in the mud. Mud just wheres shit out too quickly. To each and their own however but 1) I work too hard for what I have to destroy it and/or let it go to shame and 2) I like keeping and having my stuff in brand new mint condition for many years after I bought it so that everyday I'm driving a brand new off the showroom vehicle.

Anyway, I keep my motor bay mint, here's how I do it:

The only thing I cover is my open air filter element with a small plastic bag. Then I spray down the entire motor bay with Fantastik with OXY. Let it sit for a couple minutes then I lighty rinse with my Mr. Clean autodry filtered water. Then I hand dry with dry microfiber rags using Eagle One Wax As You Dry on all plastic parts and WD40 on all metal parts. I then let it sit for aleast a hour just to make sure it's all dry before starting it. A added bonus of using the Fantastik with OXY is that when you turn your air on, you have such a nice clean scent. Three years old non-garaged:

Holla...

Last edited by emig5m; 07-04-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After splashing in mud off road for a few days, you will need more than a damp rag to clean your engine.

I have used a steam jeanie pressure washer on all my vehicles engines for years with no problems.

Quick Reply: OK to spray engine bay with hose?