I wonder how old this stuff is?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I wonder how old this stuff is?

I was helping my neighbor clean out his garage a few weeks ago. It needed it, lol. As we were throwing some junk out, I stumbled upon this old bottle of Rain Dance concentrated car wash powder. He said I could have it if I wanted it. I was like, ok... looks kind of abrasive don't it? He gave me a few small sponges that still looked brand new too. I figured they'd be good to clean my wheels with.

But anyway, I wonder how old this stuff is? I didn't even know they made concentated car wash powder?

Last edited by Peacemaker; 07-07-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LMAO... nice. I haven't seen Rain Dance detergents in quite some time but, I'm pretty sure my father has some in the garage back home... I'd guess that abrasive isn't the word.

That's a GEM! Fire it up and let's see how it works -- on your truck!

Old 06-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
LMAO... nice. I haven't seen Rain Dance detergents in quite some time but, I'm pretty sure my father has some in the garage back home... I'd guess that abrasive isn't the word.

That's a GEM! Fire it up and let's see how it works -- on your truck!
You're kidding...right? I'll try it on my sister's car first.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:16 PM
It's just like any other dry detergent. It's definitely not abrasive.

Back probably 12 years or so ago, I used to use that stuff. There wasn't always a wealth of automotive cleanup supplies out there and it beats the heck out of Dawn unless you want to strip your wax.

Best I can remember, it's pretty low in the suds department.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:28 PM
I believe I'll just let it sit on the shelf. Hmm, I could use it for sand blasting...

Old 07-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Hey it's GUARANTEED how can you lose?

Old 07-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Lmao.

Trending Topics

Old 07-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Moderator &

Any test results to report? If not... chop chop!

Old 07-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Ok, I tried the Rain Dance detergent out on my truck first. Lol. That stuff suds up like an old timey 10 cent barrel bath.

It got the dirt, road tar, and bug guts off just fine without alot of effort. I did one panel at a time like the directions said, and rinsed it afterwards. It looked like it was drying fast like a Mr. Clean spotless rinse, but it left oily residue all over my paint after it dried.

I'm guessing it was the quick dry sheeting action wax additive like they use at quick washes. Only your supposed to rinse after using that stuff.

I just took my handy dandy MF towel and some Wet Shine QD and gave it a once over and it looked alot better.

I'll put a pic or two in this post in a bit.

Here they are. It was kind of late in the evening, so the pics are dark. I know, I need to clean those wheel wells. Haha. My neighbors already think I'm crazy for spending 3 hours buffing on my truck, so I called it quits before it got dark. I even got a visit from a guy running for sheriff while I was washing my truck. He came up and shook my hand, and it had suds all over it. He said he'd appreciate my vote. Lmao.

Last edited by Peacemaker; 07-07-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Moderator &

Work on those wheel wells! Two or three quick squirts of your least favorite 'black out' type of product (this is where all of the dressings that I hate go to die -- my wells) and it'll really add to your overall look.

This is one of my biggest peeves when detailing... lol!

I can't believe you used that stuff...

Old 07-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Dude, it's just soap....

Old 07-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Yep. It worked pretty good except for the oily streaking. I was kind of weary about using it, but it wasn't abrasive at all.

I put the jet setting on my nozzle on "full stream" so it all got dissolved pretty well in the bucket. I stuck my hand down in it to see if it felt like sand, and I didn't feel anything gritty so I used it.

I'll hit those wells with some armor all first thing tommorrow lickety-split sarge! Well, when I think of it. lol.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:45 AM
I used Raindance wax as a teen on my '71 GTO in the 90's... Seemed to worked fine... Haven't seen it since... lol... It was the best thing that would keep the oxidation from coming back so quickly... I kinda liked the oxidation tho, I never cared for red so faded orange was kinda cool!!

Old 07-08-2006, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by JonF150
I used Raindance wax as a teen on my '71 GTO in the 90's... Seemed to worked fine... Haven't seen it since... lol... It was the best thing that would keep the oxidation from coming back so quickly... I kinda liked the oxidation tho, I never cared for red so faded orange was kinda cool!!
I had a red 89' firebird that faded on the trunk spoiler. I can't remember what I used on it. I think it was Meguiar's cleaner wax about every 3 months. But if I had known then what I know now, I would have clayed it, polished it, and put a double coat of wax on it.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Yeah, unfortunately, I was young, dumb and well you know the rest... Some idiot clipped my front end and the ins. co. totaled it, then it flooded. I still got half my money out of it when I sold it... Miss it tho.. I think one day I may buy another muscle car, but I want to buy a project. I hope to find a 68-70 camaro with a good body and restore it...

Quick Reply: I wonder how old this stuff is?