Polishing Exhaust Pipes : Need LOTS of Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polishing Exhaust Pipes : Need LOTS of Help

Hey Guys,

So I have a Magnaflow SS SIDO from Troyer performance. The muffler or tips don't have any surface rust, but the pipes are COVERED. I wanted to polish them up this weekend when I'm detailing the truck.

I've been using Eagle One chrome polish on the rims, step-ups and tips and it's worked well. However, the pipes would take a ton of elbow greese and Eagle One to do this job.

Is there something anyone would suggest to undertake this project?

Duke

Old 07-01-2006, 06:17 PM
help?

Old 07-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So you're wanting to polish the pipes on the undercarriage? A bit confused here...

Old 07-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by RockPick
So you're wanting to polish the pipes on the undercarriage? A bit confused here...
I think he wants to polish the pipes between the muffler and the tips.
My friend works at a car wash and I go there from time to time "borrow" some chemicals for things like that. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but they call it acid. I spray it all over the undercarriage and let it sit for a lil while and then rinse and it's all clean. MAybe RP can tell us exactly what that chemical might be?

Old 07-02-2006, 02:44 PM
I started polishing the factory exhaust from the muffler back using some fine steel wool and some polishing rouge on a buffing wheel:

I was going to keep going until I got a mirror like finish, but it's next to impossible to do on stainless with just the normal things you may have around your house unless you want to spend hours on it.

Word of advice, just hit it with some fine steel wool to get the rust off and don't worry about polishing it out. Unless you can get that high polish finish on it, it will only stay semi-shiny for about a day. That stage is as far as I ever took mine once I saw how quickly it tarnished back up.

I'm sure the actual ss tubing used for most exhaust is not the grade you need to keep a good polish and shine.

Last edited by quackrstackr; 07-02-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Yeah I was referring to the actual pipes inbetween the muffler and tips.

I guess after reading everyone elses results with doing this, it doesn't sound worth it.

Duke

Old 07-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Yeah I was referring to the actual pipes inbetween the muffler and tips.

I guess after reading everyone elses results with doing this, it doesn't sound worth it.

Duke
00 wool is just about the best way I guess... not sure I've really ever gone after that area but once... and then, it wasn't too far gone. It's going to be a good amount of work...

Trending Topics

Old 07-03-2006, 12:20 PM
00 wool is just about the best way I guess... not sure I've really ever gone after that area but once... and then, it wasn't too far gone. It's going to be a good amount of work...
It's not that bad, just surface rust or tarnished areas. If it's not hurting anything then I'll just leave it alone.

Duke

Old 07-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by F150 Duke
It's not that bad, just surface rust or tarnished areas. If it's not hurting anything then I'll just leave it alone.

Duke

You're turning out to be more **** retentive than I am with my truck... LOL! I'd leave it alone man...

Old 07-05-2006, 10:25 AM
You're turning out to be more **** retentive than I am with my truck... LOL! I'd leave it alone man...
I try, I try.... Yeah, I'm just going to let this one go. The detailling that got away...

Duke

Quick Reply: Polishing Exhaust Pipes : Need LOTS of Help