Considering Spot Free Water Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering Spot Free Water Filter

Has anyone tried the Spot Free Water Filter? The water spots on my truck are driving me crazy.

Rockpick, are you still satisfied with your purchase. Have you had to replace the prefilter yet?

I found one for $314.00 plus s/h
schumans

Thanks in advance

Old 07-04-2006, 04:19 PM
I heard they work very well, I'm getting one next week. Last time I spoke to RockPick about it..he was satisfied.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:56 PM
The poor man's version, the Mr. Clean unit, is decent for the money.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm still very pleased with my SF unit. I have regenerated it three times at this point and it continues to work just as well as it did on day one out of the box.

I want to stress that this will not totally eliminate water spotting if you have harsh water (like me) but, on a scale of 1 to 10 from a diminishing standpoint, it's a solid 8. In short, it's not perfect but, for what I want -- which is a softening system that buys me some more time from a drying/sudsing standpoint without the hastle/cost of replacement filters -- it's PERFECT.

Feel free to ask questions if you have them... also, just for giggles, contact Auto Detailing Solutions via email and mention to them that you've found the 1000 unit at that price -- see if they'll match it if you're interested. The only reason I recommend this is because oodles of folks have dealt with Rick with ADS and have had nothing but great results/service - me included. Up to you but, who knows, maybe he'd even beat that price!

RP

Old 07-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need one too... washed my truck yesterday and had spots that didn't come off from the last time I washed a couple weeks ago..

The only way I can get them off is a Meguiar's Cleaner Wax in a red bottle.. takem off no problem, then I have to rewax, this is getting old quick...

I may just buy a MrClean to see if its anything to it.... wouldn't be the first 20.00 i've wasted....

Old 07-04-2006, 11:53 PM
Moderator &

MrC isn't bad but, if you really have HORRIBLE water, expect to spend some bucks keeping filters in the unit.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RockPick
MrC isn't bad but, if you really have HORRIBLE water, expect to spend some bucks keeping filters in the unit.
Thats what I've heard also, I don't no what the filters cost, but I hate buying something that going to dollar you to death.....thats why I've never even looked at one....

Old 07-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Mr. Clean filters work great, but you must change the filters as directed. My black Tahoe never really had bad water spots by using it, it was worse with out it. I would use a detailer after the wash to get rid of the spots left on your truck. If you use the soap make sure to clean your brush or what ever you use often during the wash to keep from smearing.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Neill7082
...I would use a detailer after the wash to get rid of the spots left on your truck.
A really nice tip that a lot of folks utilize (me included)...

Start with the top and work towards the ground when drying. Go panel by panel and spray down the panel you're going to dry with a nice lubricating QD spray (Poorboy's Spray and Wipe is my favorite for this task). This DEFINITELY helps to deal with those tiny little water spots that have occured while getting your drying tools together...

Old 07-05-2006, 05:15 PM
MJN
I too have had the same problem with water spots lately on my red 150. I guess I could never really see it on my gold Explorer but they sure show up on the red truck.

One question I have is for that price of the filter could you not buy a water softer and install it on the pipes to the outside and have the same result?

Old 07-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Moderator &

I don't really have a good place to put a softener in my house -- although, I'd like to have one. I'm on a slab with, obviously, no basement...

For $300ish though, you're not going to get close to purchasing and installing a softener... $500 or so for a smaller softener plus installation...

Old 07-05-2006, 05:30 PM
MJN
Yea it does sound like you might have a little hard time putting a softer in RP. I was just asking and making sure the softer is doing about the same thing as the filter. I have been wanting a softer for awhile now with my well and I can install it myslef in my basment fairly easy. For me if the softer is performing the same job as the filter it will be better to go the softer route.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Moderator &

Like you, if I could install one for the house, I probably would... And, actually, it might make sense to run both of them (house softener and the SF system) to really knock out the CaCO3 and other minerals (calcium is my main problem with the local water)...

Old 07-05-2006, 05:58 PM
MJN
Cool thanks for the info RP. Not sure what I have more in my water but I do know that if left on the truck I sure get that nice white ringed water spot on the paint.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by F-150 AZ
I heard they work very well, I'm getting one next week. Last time I spoke to RockPick about it..he was satisfied.
Have you gotten your spot-free yet? How bad is your water? I'm curious how it does with water not nearly as bad as Rockpicks.

I test pool water at work and know that my hardness is near zero, but I still get white spots BAD I am assuming that TDS's are the culprit

Quick Reply: Considering Spot Free Water Filter