Best Wax For Black

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Wax For Black

Just like the title says I just bought a 2006 Grand Cherokee and I would like to wax it but I want to use a good wax to start with. Any suggestion?

Old 07-05-2006, 09:03 AM
I've had good results by using a clay bar, cleaner wax, Meguairs NXT followed by Mothers California Gold Pure Carnuba wax.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:17 PM
I would think almost any name brand is good providing your technique is correct.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by vader716
I would think almost any name brand is good providing your technique is correct.
x2

Plus I'll add that you need to make sure it's waxed, and cleaned, often.
IMHO its all about getting it clean, then KEEPING it clean.

In my case, it gets driven once per week, so I even keep it covered in the garage, so dust won't muck it up.

Black looks great, or it looks cr@ppy.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by vader716
Not necessarily. I have trouble with Meguire's NXT streaking on my black truck. So I stick to the Meg Classic Gold or the other one in the red can. Much better results for me. i have tried the NXT twice, and both times I had to go over it with one of the others.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Have used Megs NXt and Gold Class, both very good IMO.

Trending Topics

Old 07-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Technique, environment, and OODLES of other factors will contribute to the overall 'look' of your final product.

In a nutshell, there are lots of great products out there. Some will yield depth, some will be very 'glossy', some will be better on the protection end than others, some will be simple to apply/remove.... there are too many things to mention...

Ultimately, it'll be up to you to determine what is 'best'. My suggestion is to go with a product with a slight amount of cleaners (like NXT, Synwax, or several others) because black is a monster of a color. The very light cleaners will help keep the swirling down and such.

RP

Old 07-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Whats up guys. I use Maguire's NXT on my Tahoe and love it. I use the wax when I have time but mainly I use the imbetween detailer everything I wash it. It is about 2 years old now and still looks as it did the day it was purchase. Plus I am religious about washing it.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
Technique, environment, and OODLES of other factors will contribute to the overall 'look' of your final product.

In a nutshell, there are lots of great products out there. Some will yield depth, some will be very 'glossy', some will be better on the protection end than others, some will be simple to apply/remove.... there are too many things to mention...

Ultimately, it'll be up to you to determine what is 'best'. My suggestion is to go with a product with a slight amount of cleaners (like NXT, Synwax, or several others) because black is a monster of a color. The very light cleaners will help keep the swirling down and such.

RP
RP, what is the name of the cleaner/wax in the deep red container from Meguires. I have had good luck with that one. Actually, maybe that is the name of it, Meguire's Cleaner/Wax.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
RP, what is the name of the cleaner/wax in the deep red container from Meguires. I have had good luck with that one. Actually, maybe that is the name of it, Meguire's Cleaner/Wax.
Cleaner wax... A-12

When it comes to carnauba-based cleaner waxes, this is one of my favorites as well. Tried and true... just a solid product IMO.

RP

Old 07-08-2006, 10:16 PM
my process for black is:

Meguiars #82
Meguiars #21 (or Meg's NXT, if you don't have access to #21)
NXT Paste wax.

your washing, drying and daily care processes and tools will have more say in how your paint looks over the long run than anything else .. you don't have to worry about how to cover or remove swirls and scratches if you never put them there to begin with.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:08 PM
I use Poorboy's EX as a sealer then top it with Natty's paste wax.

Quick Reply: Best Wax For Black