Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound - Heavy Duty Cleaner / Eagle One Nano Polish

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound - Heavy Duty Cleaner / Eagle One Nano Polish

Hey Fellas,

So I put new rims and tires on two weeks ago. Tomorrow I'm going to clean and wax the OEM rims before putting them in storage for the rest of the summer in preparation for using them again in the winter.

On the back of the rims I have quite a bit of "oxidation" where the winter salts in Minnesota have had at them.

I went to Checkers Auto Parts last night and the gentlement there suggested using the Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound - Heavy Duty Cleaner and a rag on the stock rims to remove the oxidation. Then follow up with a wax such as NXT since I have that on hand.

He also suggested using this rubbing compound on my Magnaflow SS tips to remove some of the oxidation, black spots and other "crud" the Eagle One metal cleaning wadding won't get rid of.

What are your thoughts on this? Should it be done with Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound - Heavy Duty Cleaner or should I use something else? If I should use something else, then what should I buy and where?

ALSO:

To polish my new chrome rims, billet grill, chrome bumpers, chrome grill surround, chrome Mark LT handles and Magnaflow SS tips I was told to use Eagle One Nano-Polish.

Is this what I should use or should I use something else, also where should I buy it?

The reason I want to clarify this with you guys before I use it is because he also suggested Mothers Back to Black rubber cleaner for the window trim and other hard plastic on the outside. Well I just search on the "Back to Black" and it didn't get so many stellar reviews with running and such plaguing it's users.

I appreciate your input fellas,

Duke

Old 07-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Doing a ton of searching is leading me to RP's suggestion of Heavy Metal Polish to use on the stock rims and SS tips.

Am I correct in saying the following?
Chrome Rims, chrome bumpers, chrome grill surround, billet grill, chrome Mark LT handles, and chrome step-ups = Heavy Metal Ultra Fine Polish

Magnaflow SS Tips and stock OEM lariat rims front and back = Heavy Metal Medium Abrasive Polish

Is there any stores that carry this in MN? (NAPA, Target, Wally World, Checkers) I'd really like to work on this tomorrow.

Also, what would I use with the polish? (ie. just a rag?) I have a PC, if that helps.

Also, what should I use on the chrome bumpers, grill surround, billet grill and chrome rims?

I was looking at the back of the chrome bumper and see lots of hard brown stuff which I'm assuming is oxidation. How dangerous is this? It would be next to impossible to hand polish it with all the stuff that's in the way. Will this eventually eat through the bumper?

Thanks,

Duke

Last edited by F150 Duke; 07-06-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:13 PM
I just called Heavy Metal Polish. Here is what I was told.

All chrome on the truck, all OEM rims and Stainless Steel Exhaust tips = Heavy Metal Polish Medium

If the OEM rim has a clear coat (I don't know if the stock Lariat rims do) then the polish will neither hurt or help the rim so it's worth a try. She said the rag and the polish will turn black if it doesn't have clear. If it does have clear then it won't do anything.

She said not to do the new chrome rims just yet since they're brand new even though I put a few hair line scratches in them with the Eagle One wadding last week. She said to wait awhile and just put a good coat of wax on them like NXT wax. But when they need polishing, use the medium heavy metal polish.

I'm about to put an order in online since there isn't a store in MN that carries heavy metal polish.

What do you guys think?

Duke

Old 07-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't be gung-ho to use the metal polish on my stock rims but, you should be okay -- probably.

Look at it this way -- your stock rims are clear coated; you wouldn't use metal polish on your hood (which is also clear coated) -- you'd probably use a cleaner of some sort...

Old 07-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
I wouldn't be gung-ho to use the metal polish on my stock rims but, you should be okay -- probably.

Look at it this way -- your stock rims are clear coated; you wouldn't use metal polish on your hood (which is also clear coated) -- you'd probably use a cleaner of some sort...
What about the back of the stock rims then? There are areas that appear oxidized or have brake dust that is so permanently stuck on there I couldn't scrub it off with soap and a rag.

What do you suggest as a good cleaner?

Do you think I'll be ok to use the medium polish from Heavy Metal on all the chrome on the truck as well as my SS tips?

Thanks again RP,

Duke

Old 07-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
What about the back of the stock rims then? There are areas that appear oxidized or have brake dust that is so permanently stuck on there I couldn't scrub it off with soap and a rag.

What do you suggest as a good cleaner?

Do you think I'll be ok to use the medium polish from Heavy Metal on all the chrome on the truck as well as my SS tips?

Thanks again RP,

Duke

Duke ..

I have had very good success using Metal Armor Paint and Hard Surface Polish to remove brake dust and such from painted and clearcoated wheels. I then follow it up with 3 or 4 coats of their Final Polish and Sealant, and from that point on, it becomes a wipe and rinse process to clean the wheels ..

make sure you do a small test spot just to be safe .. I used the process on my painted C5 wheels, and the brake dust would literally rinse off with a hose.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
Duke ..

I have had very good success using Metal Armor Paint and Hard Surface Polish to remove brake dust and such from painted and clearcoated wheels. I then follow it up with 3 or 4 coats of their Final Polish and Sealant, and from that point on, it becomes a wipe and rinse process to clean the wheels ..

make sure you do a small test spot just to be safe .. I used the process on my painted C5 wheels, and the brake dust would literally rinse off with a hose.
Where can you find Metal Armor Paint and Hard Surface Polish?

The Heavy Metal Polish should be here this week and I'll try that first. I'll be doing the backs of each of the OEM rims first, so that'll suffice as a safe spot test before I go messing with the fronts (which arn't really bad at all).

If that doesn't work, I'll track down your stuff.

Duke

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Where can you find Metal Armor Paint and Hard Surface Polish?

The Heavy Metal Polish should be here this week and I'll try that first. I'll be doing the backs of each of the OEM rims first, so that'll suffice as a safe spot test before I go messing with the fronts (which arn't really bad at all).

If that doesn't work, I'll track down your stuff.

Duke
hope it works ..
search yahoo for Metal Armor Precision Polishes and you will find their website ..

Quick Reply: Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound - Heavy Duty Cleaner / Eagle One Nano Polish