Kerosene isntead of wax???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmmm....So I have heard that somewhere then...

Old 07-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Keep in mind that most people don't even wash their cars, much less detail them! If you never washed or polished your vehicle, then applying kerosene might just leave you with the impression that you "really shined up the car nice"....

Old 07-12-2006, 03:03 PM
True...look at how many vehicles out there are rust buckets or are owned by people who have nice vehicles but are always dirty...

Old 07-12-2006, 05:53 PM
I've seen people use Armor All to make them shine.

When I bought my truck I wax EVERYTHING that was waxable, door jambs, inner fenders, underneath the hood etc. I do that once a year. There is no salt here so thats a BIG blessing, but even where there is, good hard core maintenance will take care of most problems. When I was a kid back in Ohio my father would take all the chrome body moulding off twice a year to clean and wax underneath and he drove his Dodges for at least 6-7 years without any rust.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by cscoios
So, yesterday I'm working outside and my older and wiser neighbor comes over and says he has some advice for me, since I spend so much time washing and waxing my F150's.

He said a buddy of his who had an immacluate black vehicle used a mixture of 1/2 kerosene and 1/2 water in a bucket. He washed his vehicle in this manner every week and said the kerosene would leave a protective film across the paint to protect it. My neighbor suggested I do this instead of spending my weekends with the PC waxing my trucks.

As he told me this, my mouth was just hanging wide open because I didn't know what to say. I finally said I don't think I'm brave enough to do that to my trucks, but thanks for the tip.

Has anyone heard of such craziness?
Boy does this bring back memories. My Dad had a '61 Impala, black 348 w/3-2bbls, some trick factory solid cam profile, 4-spd Muncie. He took better care of that car than me and my brothers and sister. He used to make me wash it just like the guy above...50/50 kerosene and water. Comet on the white walls. Pine-O to clean the engine bay.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:04 PM
I wonder if it is the older form of a liquid wax?Since it just gives it a shine maybe it could be like a quick detailer liquid wax.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
...keep in mind, they used to put DDT (dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane - I think I spelled that right...) in pump spray cans and douse children in it before they went outside to play.

I'm sure the next generation will make note of several idiocies that our generation has used/developed/enjoyed.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:59 PM
In the late 60's I woked for Sherwin Williams Paint Co. As a promotion we gave away a book called "Hints from Heloise" and it had the kerosene/water wash in it. It;s a wonder we didn't have a lawsuit. It was bad enough when the dust settled on the kerosene but if you encountered a sprinkle at night it was murder and streak city when you turned the wipers on. And the smell - friends could smell you a block away.

Kenny

Old 07-15-2006, 02:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I used kerosene to take the tar off my truck after they redid the roads around here, but i washed it after i got all the tar spots off. i didnt dose the truck in it, but i washed it good immediatly after i did all this, and later that month gave it some wax. I havent noticed any problems though. . . just my 2 cents. .

Old 07-15-2006, 11:44 AM
...keep in mind, they used to put DDT (dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane - I think I spelled that right...) in pump spray cans and douse children in it before they went outside to play.

I'm sure the next generation will make note of several idiocies that our generation has used/developed/enjoyed.
The only reason they quit using it was because of the book "Silent Spring" by Rachael Carlson. She claimed DDT made the egg shells of birds too thin, reducing the bird population. It was banned after that.

It turns out that it was pretty much bull. It was junk science. People who study such things agree that most if not all of worldwide mosiquito born illnesses could be wiped out if DDT was allowed to be used.

As for kerosene, this is a common old timers way of waxing their cars. When I was at KDOT I worked with a foreman who talked about doing this to his cars when he was dating his wife. He was about 67.

I wouldn't do this if you lived in a very dusty area. I've seen what happens if you spill just a little bit of diesel on the paint, I imagine kerosene would be just as bad if not worse since it's even more oily.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Well, not to show my age or anything, but many years ago in a land far away;

I had a red vehicle that we used to refer to as having dead paint. You know when you wax the vehicle and your applicator turns the same color? Once I tried the 50/50 Kerosone as recommended by my uncle. Worked great. The truck was never cleaner, and had a good shine.

The next day it look a dull tan color with all the dust stuck to it.

Took it to a car wash and used the high pressure on it and never did it again.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by KDOTengineer
The only reason they quit using it was because of the book "Silent Spring" by Rachael Carlson. She claimed DDT made the egg shells of birds too thin, reducing the bird population. It was banned after that.

It turns out that it was pretty much bull. It was junk science. People who study such things agree that most if not all of worldwide mosiquito born illnesses could be wiped out if DDT was allowed to be used.
Fully and 100% aware of that... I was specifically stating that people doused themselves in a chlorinated chemical which, indeed, is a carcinogen. DDT is responsible, in the opinion of most scientists, for the irradication of malaria.

It's also, however, responsible for gross contamination of waterways, groundwater, and is the focus of countless numbers of environmental remedial projects.

Kerosene... oh yeah, that's the topic.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Fine, great, whatever.

Kerosene: use it for jet fuel, burning tree piles and stumps, heaters, very old tractors, and oil lamps.

Don't use it for wax. I believe the whole purpose of wax is so stuff doesn't stick to what you apply the wax to. Kerosene is oily and therefore dust and dirt will stick to it quite easily.

Then again diesel or kerosene is commonly used for form oil for concrete forms. So I guess it's kind of the same stuff except waxing your pickup won't make dust stick to it like a magnet.

Last edited by KDOTengineer; 07-15-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:57 PM
I used kerosene a long time works great

Ive been using kerosene for prolly 5 years but it was on my jeep and it was black- kerosene really takes off the oxidation I would not advise this on a brand new truck but it made my 98 jeep wrangler glisten better than any high doller wash -wax -buff gob any day just a regular hand wash with about a pint of kerosene to one or two gallons of water and rince but like I said I wouldn't use it unless you need it

Old 07-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by KDOTengineer
Fine, great, whatever.

Quick Reply: Kerosene isntead of wax???