2 or more coats of wax ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 or more coats of wax ??

Will putting 2 or more coats of wax on my black Screw accomplish anything , or is it a waste of time ?? Thanks in advance all

Larry

Old 07-17-2006, 07:12 AM
I give mine a coat of Megs NXT followed by a coat of Mothers liquid carnuba.
I find (as Rockpick suggested) that this gives a much deeper shine.
I taped down the middle of the hood and gave one side the extra coat and asked somebody else which side looked best so I didn't cheat myself.
Try it for yourself and see if you can see the difference and feel if it's worth the effort.
Good luck.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:26 AM
I use NXT followed up by two coats of carnuba!

Old 07-17-2006, 08:09 AM
What about 2 coats of Nanowax (in my case) or in yours, 2 of NXT? Why the carnuba after, lay a good foundation for reg. wax? How about longevity?

Old 07-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BLUE20004X4
What about 2 coats of Nanowax (in my case) or in yours, 2 of NXT? Why the carnuba after, lay a good foundation for reg. wax? How about longevity?
I don't think you can "layer" the synthetic waxes, and that's why most folks do a carnuba topper. From what I understand, NXT has slight cleaning properties that would essentially remove the previous layer you had applied.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Two coats is a good rule of thumb... here's why:

Humans aren't perfect. We miss spots when we wax. We over wax some and under wax others.

Long story short, what you're doing when you apply TWO coats is you're removing a great deal of the human goof factor in that you're covering the paint in a more uniform and complete fashion.

You can layer synthetics but, only to a certain extent. Law of diminishing returns...

So, putting 8 coats on is probably not any better than putting 2 or 3 on.

RP

Old 07-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Rock , Can ya recomend a wax to use on my New black screw ? I really need to put something awsome on it cause Im Forced ,because of all the trees on my property to park under trees and im gettin Tons of sap on it . Im At My wits end thanks in advance

Larry

Trending Topics

Old 07-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, unfortunately, you've got a problem that won't be remedied by ANY wax. The sap issue will be a royal PITA until you can park elsewhere.

As for a suggestion -- I'd definitely go with a synthetic which will yield a longer, more durable protection factor. A wax like Zaino, NXT, or Nanowax would be my suggestion.

Wax, in and of itself though, won't do all the work. Your application technique is going to be a critical part of keeping your BLACK truck looking good. Black, as you and I both know, is a monster of a beast to the nth degree. It's nearly impossible to have it look perfect - ever.

Use your smarts when applying any product, washing, and especially when drying or QD'ing. There are hundreds of tips here and on other sites to prevent marring, swirling, and scratching (which are all, generally, the same thing) your paint. Use them and use them EVERY time with no exceptions.

Quick Reply: 2 or more coats of wax ??