Water spots worse after wax

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water spots worse after wax

My truck is black and I waxed it for the first time about 3 weeks ago. I bought it new back it august. I used Zymol Cleaner Wax on it and it turned out Ok. Anyway now when I wash it the water spots are far worse than before I waxed it. I am also using a new soap. I think it's from Mequires. It's purple and says something like "The fun car wash soap".
I don't know if it's the soap or wax or both causing the white spots. I don't dry it because the chamois seems to lightly scratch the paint in my opinion.
But I never dried it before and the water spots were not nearly this bad. Any suggestions on why this is happening all of a sudden?
I am thinking about buying that Mr Clean car wash kit as most of you seemed to like it.
Thanks,
Craig

Old 07-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are not drying the truck, that is why you have spots. Try a synthetic chamois like The Absorber or the Mr Clean system.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:19 PM
when you are done rinsing the truck, sheet the water off , then dry it using your favorite method, keeping in mind your truck is black.

I sheet the water off, then use a water blade on the glass, then I use either a PakShak waffle weave, or a Meguiars water magnet to dry my truck.

While the absorber does a good job of drying, since it has no nap, you stand a greater chance of scratching or swirling with it (the same can be said of a chamois).. I personally would not reccomend the Mr Clean autodry .. I have never had much luck with it.

another thing to look into, is if your water is hard, get a filter, and use it to rinse off with .. and it will help prevent spotting.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, that's the secret of the Mr. Clean system. When you turn it to "rinse" the water goes through a PUR brand water filter.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:33 PM
thanks. What does "sheet the water off" mean?

I also read on here somewhere that if you keep the truck wet until the wash is complete and then spray it down with purified water (just a gallon from the store poured into a garden sprayer) there will be no spots.
Interesting.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by CraigH
thanks. What does "sheet the water off" mean?

I also read on here somewhere that if you keep the truck wet until the wash is complete and then spray it down with purified water (just a gallon from the store poured into a garden sprayer) there will be no spots.
Interesting.
sheeting the water off simply means allowing the water to run straight out of the hose, with no nozzle on it, from the top of the car to the bottom .. doing this will leave much less water on the paint than rinsing it with a spray nozzle.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:08 PM
I would not wash it under a blazing sun either. That seems to contribute to the spots.

Trending Topics

Old 07-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dr. Franko
I would not wash it under a blazing sun either. That seems to contribute to the spots.
good point ..

Old 07-17-2006, 11:20 PM
I use a 2-stage filter on a separate line to do the final rinse. I try to sheet the water as well when doing this. When it's time to wipe off the few water spots that are left, I spray a little QD on the area, then use a waffle weave towel.

Quick Reply: Water spots worse after wax