clay bar residue, can I wax on top of it, or wash the truck over again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
wait until your paint has a 'texture' to it... in short, you can feel stuff stuck to the surface that isn't washing off with normal washings... then give it a whirl.

RP
Man good thing you changed it to stuck to the surface. The texture of my truck is very discourging. Not sure if i want to detail it again. Very disappointed in my golf ball textured truck. This is the first truck that i have owned that has that much orange peel in the paint. Not sure if it has anything to do with assy plant but my last 2 came from canada.

oh forgot to mention i ended up using the clay since i ran out of the cleaner. I also noticed it is mild clay so im guessing they have different grades. But i could see all the stuff coming off and on the clay. unreal how much was there after washing the truck. But in order to fix the texture i think i would have to some wet sanding. not sure if i want to put that much work into it.

Last edited by nditech; 07-31-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:34 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nditech
Man good thing you changed it to stuck to the surface. The texture of my truck is very discourging. Not sure if i want to detail it again. Very disappointed in my golf ball textured truck. This is the first truck that i have owned that has that much orange peel in the paint. Not sure if it has anything to do with assy plant but my last 2 came from canada.

oh forgot to mention i ended up using the clay since i ran out of the cleaner. I also noticed it is mild clay so im guessing they have different grades. But i could see all the stuff coming off and on the clay. unreal how much was there after washing the truck. But in order to fix the texture i think i would have to some wet sanding. not sure if i want to put that much work into it.
Ehh... clay and wet sanding are night and day. I really doubt that wet sanding is anything that you're going to want to attempt to remove bonded contamination. It'd be similar to utilizing a 35 ton crane to lift a 5# bag of sugar.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:43 PM
sorry to confuse you i ment to get rid of the orange peel. The only way to get rid of that is wet sand and I have been out of the autobody biz far to long to attempt a wet sand.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:05 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Roger that... worried me there.

Even with the wet sand though, some OP is in the base rather than the clear... hence, gotta remove all of the clear to get to the base... hehehe... I love automated robot painting!

Old 07-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Roger that... worried me there.

Even with the wet sand though, some OP is in the base rather than the clear... hence, gotta remove all of the clear to get to the base... hehehe... I love automated robot painting!
Yea that is my worry that its not in the clear. the best paint on my truck is where i made the dealer repaint for nicks in the pass door.

Quick Reply: clay bar residue, can I wax on top of it, or wash the truck over again?