What Wax ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Wax ???

Ive been reading the posts alot since i got my new Toy {larietscrew} and so many here are so very helpfull in fact reading the threads here has taught me alot about the care of My toy.

Now my question : I Live in a heavily wooded area more sap then most of u can imagine what wax should i use to help me protect the finish ? {black screw dumb me} ive got the claying , cleaning , polishing , and waxing steps squared away but i need To know which wax , and how many coats , to help me protect the finish .

thank u so much in advace
GanJa

Last edited by Ganjaman; 08-13-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's not a product on the market that is going to be the 'best choice' in my opinion based on your environmental conditions. The best advice that can be given here is to frequently wash your vehicle (which is a double edged sword considering it's black) and keep it covered with a high quality cover when it's sitting in the trees...

A synthetic will, in most cases, provide more durability than a traditional carnauba wax but, you're still at the bottom of a mountain with a STRAIGHT UPHILL fight ahead of you with black in a wooded environment... especially if you're ultra-**** retentive like the majority of us within this forum are....

Some synthetic options include SYNWAX, Zaino, NXT...

Sorry man, there's no silver bullet.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:35 AM
thanks rock as ussual Youve ben more the helpfull Ill pick up the synthetic tonight and let u know how I make out

Old 08-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
There's not a product on the market that is going to be the 'best choice' in my opinion based on your environmental conditions. The best advice that can be given here is to frequently wash your vehicle (which is a double edged sword considering it's black) and keep it covered with a high quality cover when it's sitting in the trees...

A synthetic will, in most cases, provide more durability than a traditional carnauba wax but, you're still at the bottom of a mountain with a STRAIGHT UPHILL fight ahead of you with black in a wooded environment... especially if you're ultra-**** retentive like the majority of us within this forum are....

Some synthetic options include SYNWAX, Zaino, NXT...

Sorry man, there's no silver bullet.
There is only one of us that is ultra-**** retentive, the rest of us are just particular.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by bluejay432000
There is only one of us that is ultra-**** retentive, the rest of us are just particular.

I don't know what you're talking about... I represent that comment!!

Old 08-15-2006, 08:58 AM
Quick question about wax. I tried Nxt wax and like it but want to try the Mothers Syn wax, how do these waxes compare, is it even worth tring. Also my nxt is about 3 years old have they change the formular since then or is it the same. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 05supercrew; 08-15-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Moderator &

Probably not 3 years old... it was actually released in Feb of 04. Most places didn't have it on the shelf until late March -- if then.. but, none the less, if it's been stored in a proper environment (non-freezing and not ultra hot) then it's probably a-o-k. It has a very good shelf life and is very stable.

As for formulation changes -- hard call. Meg's will, on occasion, tweak their formulations and not really make a big hub-bub about it. My hunch that what you have is just as good as what could be bought off the shelf at Wally World -- you will, however, notice that the packaging has changed -- it's a bit more 'consumer' grabbing now. All hype if you ask me.

As for Synwax. I'd encourage you to try it and compare them head to head. It's all an opinion and many folks think that Syn is better than NXT. I'm kind of on the fence... both are very good products. Your decision is the only one that matters here!

My suggestion is to do half of your hood with one and half with the other. Assess looks, optics, and overall ease of use. Then begin assessing durability. I've done similar tests with these exact products and found that they seemed to be par-on with eachother for the most part. A slight nod may go to Synwax for a deeper initial look (aka: not as 'glassy' or suran wrapped)...

Let us know what *YOU* think!

RP

Old 08-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Probably not 3 years old... it was actually released in Feb of 04. Most places didn't have it on the shelf until late March -- if then.. but, none the less, if it's been stored in a proper environment (non-freezing and not ultra hot) then it's probably a-o-k. It has a very good shelf life and is very stable.

As for formulation changes -- hard call. Meg's will, on occasion, tweak their formulations and not really make a big hub-bub about it. My hunch that what you have is just as good as what could be bought off the shelf at Wally World -- you will, however, notice that the packaging has changed -- it's a bit more 'consumer' grabbing now. All hype if you ask me.

As for Synwax. I'd encourage you to try it and compare them head to head. It's all an opinion and many folks think that Syn is better than NXT. I'm kind of on the fence... both are very good products. Your decision is the only one that matters here!

My suggestion is to do half of your hood with one and half with the other. Assess looks, optics, and overall ease of use. Then begin assessing durability. I've done similar tests with these exact products and found that they seemed to be par-on with eachother for the most part. A slight nod may go to Synwax for a deeper initial look (aka: not as 'glassy' or suran wrapped)...

RP
Thank you very much, Ive had the nxt a little while, not sure how long but im sure your right. The nxt has been in the garage so it has been expose to cold weather. I will pick up a bottle of the wax next week and give you a side by side comparison. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
LMAO...

Just go with the Zaino you won't regret it...

Old 08-22-2006, 08:53 AM

RP
I got the Mothers Syn Wax and put it on the tail gate of my black truck (it was late and got dark so only did the tail gate) last night. Went on easy and came off easy, really nice to use. The tail gate came out great. This part of the truck hasnt look this good since I bought it 13 months ago. I cant say I like it better the the Nxt yet but it is easier to apply and remove and thats a big plus in my book. Great shine also. Looked at it this morning in the sun and I like it. Cant wait to do the rest of the truck this week end hopefully.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:18 PM
About two years ago I tried the half and half trick on the hood of my FX4. I did half with Zaino and half with NXT. It's kind of a pain to order it online, but Zaino seems to last a loooooong time. This test was done during a Michigan winter ( Lots of salt and car washes! )

Old 08-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by fishx65
About two years ago I tried the half and half trick on the hood of my FX4. I did half with Zaino and half with NXT. It's kind of a pain to order it online, but Zaino seems to last a loooooong time. This test was done during a Michigan winter ( Lots of salt and car washes! )
Thats my next wax but I just cant spend the money.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by fishx65
No doubt about it... Z will outlast NXT. NXT is a great product but, falls short when really competing with Zaino. For me, I find that utilizing a product that I like frequently yields a better end result for me but, I have tried Z and have to admit that it lasted a pretty good while...

Old 08-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Ever wonder why there is no consumer report type research done on all the millions of waxws and polishes? It's because they are all very close to being exactly the same. Years ago maybe 10 or more I saw one article that said 3M wax will last the longest. That is the only thing I have ever seen saying on wax is better than the other. It's all about marketing boys and girls.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by fmdog44
Ever wonder why there is no consumer report type research done on all the millions of waxws and polishes? It's because they are all very close to being exactly the same. Years ago maybe 10 or more I saw one article that said 3M wax will last the longest. That is the only thing I have ever seen saying on wax is better than the other. It's all about marketing boys and girls.
You're entitled to an opinion... as is everyone else.

Those of us who have used several products and read up on this material (like more in the present) realize that different products do, indeed, out perform others. Technology has come a long way in this market and it's not all about who can make their wax 'smell' good anymore.

Zaino markets little to none to the professional detailing community... they rely almost solely on word of mouth. Which, for them, has worked FANTASTICALLY well because they have a solid product. Others, like Mothers, Meguiar's, and Black Magic utilize advertising dollars on a more frequent basis but, in turn, do offer a solid product that, typically, performs as well as the next guy's wax/sealant/synthetic.

There's still no silver bullet product out there... nothing's perfect but, there are products that are better than others...

Quick Reply: What Wax ???