Cleaning Cloth Seats 05 FX4

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Cloth Seats 05 FX4

Looking for help with cleaning my cloth seats. I have an 05 FX4 with med flint seats. It seems like everything stains these seats. When I try to use water and a clth, a water mark forms. Any suggestions on what to use to clean the seats? THanks

Old 08-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although I'll have to get back to you with the exact name of the product I use, the bigger learning for me was technique. I have the exact same interior and was experiencing the same problem - until I figured out the technique. So what was it? I finally ended up actually masking off areas before cleaning. (You read that right.) I mask off (with 2" blue masking tape and / or towels) the panel(s) to be cleaned, then spray on the cleaner before scrubbing it with a medium bristle brush. I then remove the masking and let it dry overnight.

As a matter of fact, I have some staining from my son sitting in the passenger seat with a damp swim suit. He'll be learning my technique in the next few days! Hope that helps.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:43 PM
No offense if this has already been suggested, but have any of you 04+ folks tried using an extractor on your cloth?

I know that your material differs from my 2001 cloth, but I have had mucho success using my Bissell extractor on everything on my interior.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:22 PM
I haven't tried that particular tool yet, but having owned a '97, '99, '02 and now an '05, I can tell you that the fabric is very different. It even shows a stain from just plain water. I get "stains" when rain drops hit the seat when I open the door to get in during a rain storm. It's a real pain. That said, you could probably use an extractor with the masking process to avoid the stain issue.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toolmaann
No offense if this has already been suggested, but have any of you 04+ folks tried using an extractor on your cloth?

I know that your material differs from my 2001 cloth, but I have had mucho success using my Bissell extractor on everything on my interior.

x2

I clean with the Bissell "Little Green Machine" and have no problems.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Checked on the exact name of the splooge I've found to work the best on my seats. It's called Tuff Stuff and it's available at your local National Gearhead store. It's in a yellow and red aerosol can. Use it with the process I mentioned in my earlier posts and see what happens.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
I have some staining from my son sitting in the passenger seat with a damp swim suit. He'll be learning my technique in the next few days!
You are such a slave driver

Old 08-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Checked on the exact name of the splooge I've found to work the best on my seats. It's called Tuff Stuff and it's available at your local National Gearhead store. It's in a yellow and red aerosol can. Use it with the process I mentioned in my earlier posts and see what happens.
Thats what I used and works good. I found it a wal world.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:46 PM
It also helps to clean the whole area where the stain or mark it. For instance, if you have a stain on the lower seating area clean the whole lower seat. If you try to spot clean you will just get another water mark from the cleaner. It can be very frustrating if you attempt to spot clean. Just get the whole area damp and it should dry without a water mark. That's what I have done but you results may vary. I even had a mayo stain from someone eating a sandwich in my passender seat and the whole oily spot came up but left a water stain until I went back over the entire seat. Now you would never know it had been there. Also, once you get your seats clean again, try scotch guard. Stuff will still leave a mark on the upholstery but it comes up much easier. I picked up a couple cans myself from the local 3M retailer when the truck was new. I applied it when brand new and I just cleaned my interior last week and reapplied 3M when I was done (about 9 mo. old).

Old 08-20-2006, 11:16 PM
And, simply give the cloth seats time to dry. My 2003 Ranger has a black mixed interior and I was shocked the first time I spilled water on it. But, over time in a dry climate, the water stains went away.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:02 PM
Try woolite....1:10 mix...woolite/water

Old 08-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Scotchguard

Good luck with getting 'em clean. The thing to remember is, once they are clean, Scotchguard 'em. It's worth the few bucks.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Cloth Seats 05 FX4