G-100 Polisher

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah,

Thanks RockPick, I had to hold myself back from ordering more.

I got the 7006 pad as a backing plate to use with the Microfiber bonnets.

Don't know if I'll use it that much, but figured why not just grab it now.

I told Rick you helped talk me into to buying all this stuff, maybe he'll give you a kickback j/k...

Thanks for the help and advice..

Old 08-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by 26point2
I think it's your fault RP...If you would just say all we need is a wash cloth and a can of wax we would all be more financially secure..

Yes,

If I didn't start reading in this forum, my wallet would be a little heavier.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Simply put, the PC won't generate enough RPMs (and thus heat) to really utilize the cutting pad effectively.

Do you also have a Rotary in your aresenal? if so, what kind / model do you have? Can you tell me about them?

Thanks.....

Old 08-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ahh, I don't expect anything from Rick...

It's kind of like this... I'm sharing knowledge of a very reputable vendor that I personally use for my own supplies. It's the same type of 'referral' I'd expect if you guys ran into a super individual who serves a niche market very well. It's simple... I'm sharing a resource that I trust; nothing more.

RP

Old 08-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Padron
Do you also have a Rotary in your aresenal? if so, what kind / model do you have? Can you tell me about them?

Thanks.....
Uhh... I have two.

The first, a Makita 9227. This is my favorite machine. I like it because of the full 'loop' handle which really helps in working it on the left or right side (various hand positions). It does, in turn, prevent the machine from getting into some tighter spots though. This is a fair trade off in my opinion though... This is, however, my second Makita... my first one locked up fairly quickly -- which was terribly disappointing considering that they're about $200 new. The first one probably met an early demise due to it falling a couple of times off of my detail cart... in short, my own boneheaded fault. The current one was bought new earlier this year and really hasn't been used all that much... my 'real' job has kept me out of the detailing loop with only minor exceptions.

The second, a Dewalt 849. This one has a 'stick' handle rather than the loop. Some like this one better because the stick is able to be placed on either side of the machine... different strokes, different folks. This one is a tad heavier but is still a VERY nice machine. Ironically, I believe I'm selling this one to a co-worker -- he's going to use it as a sander though. I just don't have the need for two rotary units...

RP

Old 08-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Ahh, I don't expect anything from Rick...

It's kind of like this... I'm sharing knowledge of a very reputable vendor that I personally use for my own supplies. It's the same type of 'referral' I'd expect if you guys ran into a super individual who serves a niche market very well. It's simple... I'm sharing a resource that I trust; nothing more.

RP
I was just joking, but do thank you for sharing all the information you provide to us all.

Very glad to have gone to ADS's web site and grabbed some good stuff.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Also,

Thanks for the info on the Rotary's, I just started reading about them at Autopia forum, but it will be quite a while until I look at getting one, need to master the DA first...

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2006, 11:28 PM
My rotary is a Makita also .. I have had it a couple of months now, and have no complaints so far. .. my old Dewalt died, do I decided to buy new, instead of fixing.

If you are goign to start playing with a rotary, and you want to speed up the learning process a little, go pick up an old hood from an auto salvage, and practice on it .. find one with a ridge or edge on it, and you can see first hand why you have to be so careful around edges and corners ..

I have never purchased anything from ADS .. I will have to take a look, as I am running out of a few things ..

I usually buy direct from Meg's, or from the local distributer here ..

Old 08-27-2006, 12:01 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Padron
Also,

Thanks for the info on the Rotary's, I just started reading about them at Autopia forum, but it will be quite a while until I look at getting one, need to master the DA first...

Thanks!
The DA (aka: PC) is a good starting point from the standpoint of mechanical application of polishes and LSPs as it's forgiving. I say that because you would really have to be a total bonehead to ruin a painted surface with the RPMs and heat that a PC is capable of putting out. In short, you'd almost have to 'try' to hurt the paint to do it... it's a VERY safe and VERY effective tool.

The Rotary, on the other hand, is a mean beast when it comes to paint. It's a MUCH more powerful tool and is more than capable of thrashing a painted surface in no time flat. It can burn the paint down to the base metal and generate enough heat and friction to chew through the film build of the clear and into the color coat in a jiffy if you're not paying attention. On the other hand though, there are blemishes that simply cannot be dealt with by PC -- this is where a rotary can typically take the bull by the horns and remedy a problem -- that is, if it's in the right hands with the right products.

As a weekend detailer, I have and use both but, honestly, I use my PC 3X as much as a rotary... it's much lighter, much easier to use, and accomplishes a lot with the right products/pads.

RP

Old 08-27-2006, 12:30 AM
Awesome,

Thanks guys, glad I am starting with the PC, as I have burned paint when I was a teenager with a rotary. If / when I eventually get one I think I will pickup and old body panel to practice on.

Good Advice..

Quick Reply: G-100 Polisher