2 Qs about exterior

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Qs about exterior

I have two short questions about my exterior.

First is, can sun-faded trim be brought back to its rich dark color with any product. If so, which one. I tried a Mothers product but it did nothing besides lighten my pockets a little more

Second. What is the best way to remove emblems from my 99 F150. I want to remove the triton V8 emblem under the F150 emblem. Any tricks to this? Thanks, Id really appreciate any reply

Old 08-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Sorry, I don't know how to get the badges off properly, but I can say that you should try Meguiars Natural shine Vinyl and Rubber protectant, and if that doesn't work, BONDO has some sort of dye called Restore Black. My friend used it on his '96 Dodge 3500 w/ cummins. The black trim had previously faded to gray, but the restore black made it perfect again, and that was a few months ago. so far, it still looks great. I believe it was between 10 and 30 dollars from Wally World. (Sorry, He bought it, so I naturally don't remember the price.)

Good luck (also, RP probably has some other ideas.)

Old 08-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.4ever
I have two short questions about my exterior.

First is, can sun-faded trim be brought back to its rich dark color with any product. If so, which one. I tried a Mothers product but it did nothing besides lighten my pockets a little more
If the sun has chewed on it, you can mask it but you'll never get it back to 100%. There are some 'back to black' products out there but, they're messy, run with the rain, and need to be reapplied frequently. Your best bet is to replace the sun damaged parts.

Second. What is the best way to remove emblems from my 99 F150. I want to remove the triton V8 emblem under the F150 emblem. Any tricks to this? Thanks, Id really appreciate any reply
Can't help you there... aren't they all one piece?

Old 08-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Like others have said, if it is the suns doing and not wax stain you could just mask it. It will take using a trim restorer ever other wash or so to keep it looking good. Or you could always clean them good and paint them with a trim paint. The suns usually takes YEARS and YEARS to fade trim though. Any chance you got any wax or polish on the trim?

Old 08-28-2006, 01:26 PM
The emblems are all one piece. You could remove your current emblems and cut off the Triton part, or go to the dealer and buy Lariat emblems, they just say F-150.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:48 AM
Nope, my emblems are not a 1 piece. The triton V8 part is seperate. I know because I was hit on the pass. side fender. When I replaced it, I only put back the F150 sign on and not the Triton V8 emblem

As for the wax Q, no It couldnt be that. I had a tonneau on for the last 4 years. When I removed it, the trim was all kinda faded. Can a tonneau be the cause of this?

Old 08-29-2006, 12:59 PM
To get them off heat them slowly with a hair dryer to soften the adhesive.
Get a long piece of fishing wire and double it, using a sawing motion first one side and then the other as there are mounting posts behind the badge which will stop you from going all the way through from one side.

Wiggle the badge out carefully if you want to save it, or snap it out in pieces.

My 2 cents

Old 08-29-2006, 01:32 PM
^^^^^^^^^
Thanks man. Thats what I needed to know. Will do!

Old 08-29-2006, 05:20 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
I dont know if the Triton badge has a tab on the back. Its small enough they might not have done it. And yes RP they are seperate, the one on the tailgate that says supercrew, is attached to the F150.
-Patrick

Quick Reply: 2 Qs about exterior