Swirls In Black

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flareside150
I just detailed the exterior (black) of my truck after my body shop did it because there were swirls in the paint from a machine (very light). I stripped it with dawn and Megs. GC dried and started with my Makita and a foam polishing pad with Megs.#80 next Megs. NXT and then Megs.#16. Rained two days later and dried and I could still see the swirls on the paint. Any help would be great to solving this problem. Thanks
One question. Did they repaint your truck or buff/detail it?

Old 10-10-2006, 08:53 AM
[QUOTE=JesseSVT]heres a tip you might find useful -

try what a few people have said by first applying color-x, then go back over it with scratch doctor. but do not wax by hand, go buy a mini handheld wax orbital (cost around $25 at wal-mart or auto parts stores)

Do you have a picture or part number for a mini hand held ordital. Ive beed looking for one.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Autobodychick
One question. Did they repaint your truck or buff/detail it?
Yes the whole truck was repainted. There was swirls in it from when they did it. So I went over it with my makita rotary with a 3m polishing wool type pad. So either the 80 or the pad swirled it. I just hit it with the Merzerna polishes yesterday and it looks alot better but I can still see some very very light swirl where the machine pad was. Almost all the work i've done with the rotary has been on Mack trucks (no clearcoat) and a ton of alumnium.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:28 PM
i have to say that i have buffed prob around 20 cars last year with only one getting swirls. swirl marks come from using a dirty pad or having dirt on the car once you start waxing. foam is definitley harder to control than wool i burned some paint with foam but never with wool. also i only use a pad once. spend the eight dollars and get a new pad.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by humbleautosales
i have to say that i have buffed prob around 20 cars last year with only one getting swirls. swirl marks come from using a dirty pad or having dirt on the car once you start waxing. foam is definitley harder to control than wool i burned some paint with foam but never with wool. also i only use a pad once. spend the eight dollars and get a new pad.
Wool has a greater amount of cutting power than foam.

While I agree with your thought that pads can be dirty, caked, and can thus cause 'swirls'... I don't agree that wool is a better choice.

I remove wetsanding scuffs with wool... foam won't touch it -- well, not in a timely manner.

Quick Reply: Swirls In Black