Cleaning my toolbox?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning my toolbox?

I've got a black powder coated UWS toolbox. It's starting to look a little oxidized. Does anybody have any any tips or tricks to cleaning it? I thought about waxing it, but I think it would be a real pain to try and remove the wax from the diamond plate.
Would clay help anything? And then maybe a wax that removes easily like Turtle Wax ICE or something?

Old 09-03-2006, 11:34 PM
uhhh... Powder coated + wax/cleaner wax = serious PITA. I don't think you'll ever be able to remove the wax if you use it. Have you scrubbed it real well? If not, try this. Aside from that, I'd look @ a chemical method of reversing the oxidation process. I still find it amazing that you're having proble s with it. Perhaps RP has some ideas...

Good luck.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Maybe if its just fading you could apply a type of steel gloss or plish to it.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:41 PM

I think it's powder coated... isn't that what they use to make the UWS toolboxes black? I'm almost sure.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by tardman91
I think it's powder coated... isn't that what they use to make the UWS toolboxes black? I'm almost sure.
Yeah, I looked it up. Powder coated...but it looks glossy, like there's a clear on top of the powder coat. Is this right, or was that a misguiding pic. If there's a clear, than some sort of a cleaner wax and/or a metal polish shouldn't be any more than an hour each. (I'd definately look into a sort of wax like wheel wax or something meant for metals that will provide a tough barrier against the elements.)

Old 09-03-2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by f-150sport03
Yeah, I looked it up. Powder coated...but it looks glossy, like there's a clear on top of the powder coat. Is this right, or was that a misguiding pic. If there's a clear, than some sort of a cleaner wax and/or a metal polish shouldn't be any more than an hour each. (I'd definately look into a sort of wax like wheel wax or something meant for metals that will provide a tough barrier against the elements.)
It was nice and glossy when it was brand new, but I don't think it has any kind of clear on it. It's just starting to get dull, and I want it to be glossy again.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:01 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As was previously mentioned, wax and powder coat, often times, don't play well together.

If it were mine, I'd look into Detailing Sprays and maybe even spray waxes as a method to bring it back.

I'd test it in an inconspicuous area to ensure that you'll be able to use it effectively (rather than causing a bigger problem).

Old 09-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Yup. I'll second what RP said. (Also, look into painting it yourself, then clearing it. I don't think it would be that hard...

Old 09-04-2006, 08:15 AM

When I get a chance I'll give it a really good scrub down and see if that helps any.
Would Simple Green be safe to use? Any other products to reccomend to clean it?

Old 09-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah...I'd try simple green (start diluted @ 4:1, then 2:1, then 1:1, then straight) at these dilution ratios (to prevent using too much cutting power).

If you'd rather, try a citrus based cleaner (ie: orange clean) or even oxi clean made into a spray or paste.

Aside from that, I'll go look into my garage for some more ideas...

Good luck

BTW-- scrub with a soft bristled brush, and work towards stiffer bristles...stopping a plastic bristles (like you would find in a bike shop for cleaning chains, or like you would find for scrubbing stains outta carpet)

DON'T USE WIRE BRISTLES...this may sound obvious, but I've seen it done, with horrendous results...

Quick Reply: Cleaning my toolbox?