RP -- Megs Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
RP -- Megs Question

I have almost a full bottle of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax sitting in my cabinet. I was thinking about throwing a coat of it on my daily driver Ranger just to use it up, and then top it with a layer of Nxt.

Assuming all other factors are the same (washing, prep, etc.) how would that combination compare to my normal regimen of one coat of #7 followed by one coat of #26? What would I gain and/or lose from one combination to the other?

Old 09-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From a looks or performance perspective?

Old 09-05-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm thinking more looks -- I'll assume the Nxt topcoat will give me slightly better longevity than the #26 if that's what you're referring to by performance.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Moderator &

Correct. That was what I was going to say ...

From a looks perspective, I prefer a carnauba as a topper on just about every color... that's a personal preference though.

Obviously, the cleaner wax will help conceal/remove more blemishes than a 7/26 combo (in fact, 7/26 will conceal/remove nothing)... NXT has very light cleaners (very very light) and thus, you will remove some of the cleaner wax with the NXT -- again, that's a mediscule amount though.

Burn through the Cleaner Wax... that's my opinion. It's actually my second favorite 'all in one' product out on the market...

Old 09-05-2006, 03:29 PM
That's what I'll do!

Who knows -- I may end up liking the new combination better than my "old faithful" #7/#26 combo....

Old 09-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Hey RP -- that Meguiar's Cleaner Wax topped with Nxt turned out real nice. I think it might be pretty close to a perfect combination for use on a daily driver vehicle!

I wasn't all that impressed with the level of protection that seemed to have been left behind by the cleaner wax, but the Nxt topper obviously took care of that.

I'll definitely use the combo again -- probably the next time my wife's Escape is due for a detail.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Moderator &

Interesting statement on the level of protection left behind by Meg's cleaner wax... I've always been quite pleased. What did you base your opinion on? Just curious... certainly not trying to disagree... just curious about your observations.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:03 PM
When I felt the surface of the paint after wax removal it was slick, but not as slick as I am accustomed to when using #26 or Nxt. After I applied the Nxt the surface was back to what I would consider "normal"....

The Cleaner Wax left almost what I would describe as an oily feeling on the surface of the paint.

I do have to offer "kudo's" to both products in terms of their ease of removal. Both came off very well and left very little residue behind on plastic trim and such. Everytime I use the Nxt I like it more and more because of its ease of use -- but I still like applying a topper of #26, at least on my "non daily driver" vehicles....

Last edited by ddellwo; 09-06-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I have always felt I get good results from the Cleaner Wax. That is the one in the deep red can or bottle, right? I use the paste and it does well for me on my black truck. I have tried Classic, too hard to use and NXT, left streaks. I keep going back to the Cleaner Wax.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Moderator &

Don't take that slightly oily feeling as being a bad thing... that is the protection. Given a bit of time, I believe that you'd begin to feel the 'slickness'. Also, slickness isn't necessarily a guage of protection... although, I understand what you're saying.

Lastly, keep me posted on how this combo works out. My hunch is that it may fade a bit quicker than what you're used to from NXT. The reason being is that the NXT really doesn't have much to 'bond' to but rather is sitting on top of a wax itself... Again, I use the word 'bond' figuratively...

Old 09-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Would the #26 tend to bond better with the wax that is left behind by the Cleaner Wax?

Quick Reply: RP -- Megs Question