How Many Vehicles Do You Tend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Many Vehicles Do You Tend?

Me?... I have 6 I'm responsible for.

2001 F150 Screw. Garage kept, driven 3 or 4 times a week. Usually washed once a month or so, and a complete detail twice a year.

1994 Ranger. Driveway kept, driven 3 or 4 times a week. Washed monthly, 2 or 3 complete details a year.

2003 Explorer (Wifes). Garage kept, driven pretty much every day. Washed once a month, and 1 complete detail each year. My wife will on occasion drive through one of the "touch-less" type car washes which I don't like, but will tolerate.

2005 Escape (Daughters). Driveway kept, driven every day. Washed monthly, complete detail couple of times a year.

2000 Holiday Rambler 35ft motorhome. Storage yard kept (protected with a roof, and exposed only on the front nose), and driven maybe 3 tmes a year. Washed before putting away every time. Haven't yet done a complete detail, but plan one on the next trip out.

Mid-90's Yamaha golf cart Shop kept, driven 5 days a week. Rinsed off monthly, and 1 complete detail a year.

I keep up appearances between washing by using a car duster, and will wipe down with a quick detailer.

Monthly washings: Wash, vacuum, glass (inside and out), tires and trim dressed.

Complete detail: same as above, but will break out the PC and give a polish and wax job, Extract the interior.

Last edited by toolmaann; 09-10-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 F-250 KingRanch driveway kept. (won't fit in my garage) Driven on weekends. Washed weekly, full detail monthly.

2004 Lincoln LS v8. Garage kept. Driven on weekends. Full detail monthly.

1999 Dodge Grand caravan. Daily driver. Driveway kept. Washed monthly.

1999 F-150 4x4off road. Driveway kept. Hardly ever used. Washed monthly, never fully detailed. Just used for firewood & hauling my atv.

1997 Camaro SS. Garage kept. Never driven, never dirty & detailed every 2 months.

1968 Mustang GT/CS. Garage kept. Never driven, never dirty & detailed every 2 months.

1952 ****** M-38 Army jeep. Barn kept. Used for camping and offroading. Cleaned on a need to basis.

2005 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i. Garage kept. Washed weekly.

2003 Honda Rincon 650. Garage kept. Washed weekly.

I am the only one that drives the above vehicles so they usually are never to dirty.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:15 PM
washing a Vehicle once a month only is horrible. Thats no where near taking care of a vehicle. Once every week washing it is border line pretty much. In the Winter, I wash about 2-3 times a week.

I take care of a 2002 Mountaineer--washed 2 times a week, waxed once a month.

2002 f-150---washed every Saturday, waxed every 3 months.

2006 ford Escape, washed every week, waxed once a month.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With a small client-base... about 12 - 14 I guess.

2005 F-150 King Ranch (mine) - Washed two to six times per week. Waxed as needed (minimum of once every other month or so).

2004 Eddie Bauer Exploer (mine) - The wife's ride. Washed once per week minimum. Waxed as needed (about every other month).

1978 Ford Bronco XLT Ranger (mine) - Just got this. Still in my hometown. Hasn't been washed in 10 to 12 YEARS. It'll soon be in a regular routine though.

1997 Honda Civic - (edited to 1997) - Full service guy. Daily driver for him (around 65 miles round trip / day). Typically a very easy detail as he's kind of a motor head without a 'toy'. He always drools over my truck.

1999 Nissan Maxima - former neighbor. Haven't seen this one in half of a year. They just bought a new house. Not sure what's happend to him.

2003 BMW 735Li - Local owner. I was recommended by the 2001 4-Runner owner listed below. W&W client.

2005 Lexus ES330 - Black. Very finicky owner. Difficult to please. I've seen this guy thrice though. Insists on brush-type tunnel car washes. Requires copious work when working on his vehicle.

2001 Cadillac DTS (worked on this one this week) - Older gentleman that lives locally. I've worked on it three times I think. Services vary.

2001 Toyota 4-Runner Limited - About once per quarter -- wash & wax.

2005 Scion xB - New client (neighbor). I've worked on a spot or two for him (rotary work) and have done a full wash and wax once. I expect to see this guy again before winter.

200X & 2002 Chrysler Town & Country Minivans - Both are mini-van moms. These are the only two vans that I'll do... and I only do them because they're friends. I hate working on these. One is a full-detail client. One is a wash and wax client. Both opt in for interior work (unfortunately). I see these about once every quarter.

1999 Jaguar XJ8 (haven't seen this one in over a year) - Wash and wax client. Very little 'detailing'.

Last edited by Rockpick; 09-10-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:52 PM
washing a Vehicle once a month only is horrible. Thats no where near taking care of a vehicle.

That's a pretty blanket statement (and unnecessarily critical to me) not knowing what conditions are for each of us here.

Topic of the thread though is how many vehicles, not how well you may think we take care of ours. I'm glad you're able to keep your maintainence to a level you enjoy.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by toolmaann

That's a pretty blanket statement (and unnecessarily critical to me) not knowing what conditions are for each of us here.

Topic of the thread though is how many vehicles, not how well you may think we take care of ours. I'm glad you're able to keep your maintainence to a level you enjoy.

You should wash your car a minimum of once a week, due to the fact that your car is constantly bombarded with contaminants such as tree sap mist and bird droppings, "If the contaminants are not removed quickly they can bond to the paint and even etch the paint

just a little tip

Old 09-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaineer02v8

just a little tip
Opinions are like a-holes Matt. You've got one and you're entitled to it. Where ever you snared that quote has the entitlement to one as well.

While I don't agree that you *must* wash weekly, I don't disagree that it's a bad idea.

I still stand true behind the notion that, if it's needed, do it. If it's not needed, don't do it. Pretty simple I think.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Don't forget, some people drive their vehicles very little, and they are garage kept. and besides, the guy said that he used a QD wipedown. That's good enough to remove the dust and fallout for the month, if done daily or so. I did this all summer long, and my truck looked as good at the end of the summer as at the beginning. The only caution I have is that if you choose to do this, make sure you use enough QD and a MF. If not, you get swirling. And when it's dirty enough to see ANYTHING more than dust (not heavy, mind you...I mean like the dust you get in a closed garage...), a wash is necessary.

Either way, it all depends on what you're looking for. If you just need your vehicles to be relatively clean, than once a month is fine. If you want showcar shine, than...well, I think you can figure out the rest...

Old 09-10-2006, 07:19 PM
BTW--
The vehicles I tend are:
2003 F-150 Sport -wash weekly or as needed, wax monthly, detail quarterly

2003 Nissan X-TERRA- wash monthly or if terribly needed (ie: mud), wax quarterly, detail once/year. (Mom's daily driver--she doensn't really care about the look of the paint--just so that it's not muddy...)

2001 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty-- Rain takes care of most of the washing. Otherwise, automated car wash once/2months, and hand wash once every 6 months. It's been waxed 2 times since it came from the factory, and detailed once. (Dad doesn't care either...bothers me)

2004 Volvo S-60--Brother's new daily driver. Looks like it was fairly well maintained, probably got waxed 1 or 2 times per year. If I can get a hold of it, it's getting a full detail, but I don't think that'll happen soon... It will probably get washed once a month or once every 2 months, and when he comes to visit (rarely), I'll wax it. (I like the car.)

1996 Dodge 1500 SLT-- Washed by the rain or once every 6 months. Never has seen wax, never has seen a detail. It's my brothers, who could care less, but I got hold of it for awhile, and it will get some attention.

3 Yamaha V-Star (1: 650cc, 2: 1100cc, 3: 1100cc) between 2002 and 2004 for all of them. Hand wash all of them. None have seen wax, hand wash means MF and QD.

1986 Nissan (pickup) --don't know even the type...just small pickup w/ tons o' rust, crappy paint, and rain takes care of all the washing. Never has seen a wash, much less a wax or detail. It's purely a utility vehicle we got for practically free with paint in unalvageable condition. It is an off road POS for our land

The F-150, X-TERRA, and F-250, and Volvo are all daily drivers. None of these are ever garaged (as they will not fit with the motorcycles and other misc. stuff in the garage.) The Dodge is currently dormant, but I plan on making it look as good as I can in order to sell it, or possibly send it to our land, where I will do my best to prevent it from meeting the fate of the Nissan pickup. Speaking of the Nissan pickup, it is driven less than 50 miles per year, and is so far from street legal it's not even funny. Basically a junker that gets abused (and was blown up...long story.

The motorcycles get less than 2k miles/year, and are garage kept. Cleaned upon arrival home. (They belong to Mom, dad, and Brother.)

Aside from that, friends and neighbors...next post

Old 09-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Don't know much about these vehicles...but here goes...

1986 Mazda 323--detailed once in order to help sell it. (friend)
Honda Accord- detailed for b-day present on 16th b-day (friend)
Toyota Camry- detailed once a semester for teacher.
Mazda SUV- Teacher's wife's daily driver.. detailed after bought new.
Nissan Maxima- detailed once for friend (new to him, used car...)

Ford Taurus--Ex-Girlfriends car.. Never saw the likes of wax or clay, but was washed about once a month. I detailed it for her. Used junker turned nice car...

Volvo S-70--Brother's fiance's car. Wash and wax. (it gets hand washed weekly or as needed...)

Dodge 3500 (black paint...)-detailed once, installed bedliner (DIY). Taught the guy how to detail so he could do it himself (car lover w/o knowledge--now he waxes monthly and washes weekly...)

Buick Regal- Detailed once, same as the Dodge 3500

There are a few others that I have done as one-timers, but I won't mention any more. The next big thing for me will be a friend's BMW 325i. It's black, and there's swirling problems (no suprise here). I'm supposed to do a full detail on it sometime soon. That plus a Mazda 6 (silver) and an RX-8 (black). these last 3 owners are all big into good looking cars, wax monthly, wash weekly, but have no concept as to the rest of the detailing process. I plan on teaching them so they can enjoy it themselves.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:46 PM
95 F160 (mine)

99 Amigo (hers)

2006 F250 SD turbo powerstroke (work)

Bobcat S130, S175(2) T190, 323, 331

Ditchwitch RT55

I pretty much wash and do basic maintenance on the work stuff everyday, somedays we don't have time to do much but a quick pressure wash, grease and go.

The worse time was when we leased a 175 to a packing house. They used it to cleanup entrails etc and never really cleaned it. Took me three days to get the odor out, and on a hot day you still get a wiff.

My personal vehicles get a good rinse once a week or so, definitely once a week at least in the winter, and the mean scrub about every other month.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:31 PM
2005 F150SuperCrew :{mine} Daily Driver : washed on a regular basis, detailed out every six-8 weeks as needed.

2003 Windstar {wife’s Daily driver} Detailed once a year or so when I get so fed up with it that I cannot stand it. Wash-Are you kidding….if she runs that thru a car wash once ever 6 weeks, I am amazed . I just gave up on this vehicle-> I was giving myself ulcers.

1980 Corvette: Stored under a cover and driven only on weekends and cruise nights. Gets a regular cleaning each time.

1997 Grumman Pontoon Boat: Clean about once a week, and detail before storing for the winter.

2003 Jag XK8 Convertible [Mom’s Car] Regular washes and full detail about every 2-3 months. Gets driven very little.

2006 VW Bug Diesel {Dad’s Car} Detailed before winter and then I’ll do it again after.

Woof
Bowser

Old 09-10-2006, 10:49 PM
My vehicles:
1999 F-150, never been garaged, washed about once per week, waxed every month or two. Vaccum whenever possible, interior gets wiped down
1973 Tahiti Sidewinder, washed once a month, wiped down after EVERY use inside and out, waxed once a month. Currently stored indoors in an airplane hangar. Trailer for it also gets washed about once a month, but no wax. I'm not admitting that I do, but I may or may not also put tire shine on the tires on it :o

When I get around to it:
Dad's 1998 Ranger - 170K, garaged usually, washed with dish soap weekly by him, has seen wax once. I also wash it with his stuff (dish soap), not mine.
Mom's 1995 Buick Woody Wagon - 45K, always garaged, washed 2 - 3x a month (usually by dad), I'll wash it with whatever cheap car soap is around, waxed 1 - 2 times per year
Brother's 1997 Jeep GC - Was mine, 115K, not currently garaged. When I had it, it was washed weekly, waxed monthly, vaccumed as much as possible, and interior wiped down. Now, it's washed whenever he's SUPER bored, and the interior has about 2" of dust in it. Also, it gets football pads left in it ALL DAY long. Yeah, it smells great.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Here's mine!

2000 F-150 - my daily driver and sits in the driveway

2006 Toyota Sequoia - The wife's daily driver

2003 Mustang GT Convertible - The garage queen (only driven on weekends when the weather is decent)

1994 Corvette - Dad's garage queen

2004 Corvette - Mom's playtoy

Quick Reply: How Many Vehicles Do You Tend?