Rotary/DA/Etc...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotary/DA/Etc...

Just out of curiosity, I am looking at getting the G-100, but was just thinking... I have an air compressor and tank...Does anybody make a pneumatic buffer/rotary/DA/etc. that works well for detailing? If so, how does it stack up to the G-100? And, how much do they cost?

Thanks ahead of time..

BTW- If anybody needs any detailing stuff, talk to Rick at ADS. Best customer satisfaction EVER. I have never done business with anybody as eager to help the customer as Rick is. Great guy, very professional, and exceeds the highest standards of customer satisfaction I have ever seen.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:02 AM
I have a 6" DA that came from Snap On. I hesitate to use it on my truck because even after draining the tank and water filter your still gonna get some condensation coming through it. Also, you have to oil the air units and some of that is subject to being sprayed out the exhaust port on it.
The other thing that keeps me from using it is that I only have a 5 hp, 30 gal tank and the DA sucks a lot of air so the compressor is running alot. And, the hose would be a lot harder to keep off the car than an electrical cord is.

Some day may give it a try though.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Ive been thinking the same thing and did a little research and found one for about $250 and was wondering why I couldnt use my DA sander. They make air dryers for the hose but is very expensive. Id like to here from someone who has used it already.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've seen these systems in action... I have no clue who makes them though.

If I have a minute, I'll swing by the detail shop that is near my office tomorrow. They had one... I'll check it out. It helps when you're buddies with the owner.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Chicago, Central and Astro all make air d/a's.
As for oil & water separators, Milton, Devilbliss and others, make them separately and as combo/piggback units.
Expensive? Not really, unless you want the air so clean it's fit for an OR.
Water only units start around $25. Oil & water units are a bit higher ($175-225).

SL

Old 09-14-2006, 04:54 PM
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...om%2Fdeli.html
Heres one I found on the net. Go to polisher and pads.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:41 AM
I guess pneumatic isn't for me, b/c I only have a 6 gallon tank...and they said you needed around 60 gallons of air. Not to mention I only have 2 HP, whereas they say you need 5-7.5.

Oh well. worth a try to ask. Maybe when I get a really nice air compressor (ie: around 60 gallons and upwards of 5 HP), I might give this a shot. But, this'll be a long way down the line.

Thanks for all your help, though.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:53 AM
I have a craftsman profesinal 25 gallon 2 stage. I might try it. Is a 60 gallon really needed if you do small sections at a time.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
I have a Craftsman professional 25 gallon 2 stage. I might try it. Is a 60 gallon really needed if you do small sections at a time?
Depends on how small "small" is. The reason for the CFM spec on the tool is to ensure that the compressor has the ability to provide continuous air for non-stop use. If the tool's CFM requirement is higher than your comp's ability, you'll run out of air. If you're only doing a quarter of a panel at a time, and smaller tank will suffice, but having to wait for the tank to refill gets old after a while, especially if you're almost done and run out of air.

Most body shops have huge (120-200 gal) tanks with 2 or 3 cylinder, high (10-15) HP compressors for multiple loads, high CFM and fast refill times

Old 09-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by snappylips
Depends on how small "small" is. The reason for the CFM spec on the tool is to ensure that the compressor has the ability to provide continuous air for non-stop use. If the tool's CFM requirement is higher than your comp's ability, you'll run out of air. If you're only doing a quarter of a panel at a time, and smaller tank will suffice, but having to wait for the tank to refill gets old after a while, especially if you're almost done and run out of air.

Most body shops have huge (120-200 gal) tanks with 2 or 3 cylinder, high (10-15) HP compressors for multiple loads, high CFM and fast refill times
agreed .. plus your head will be pounding from the compressor running non stop, trying to keep up . which also adds to the overall wear and tear on the comp.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Snappy... inbound email! Good to see you bud.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by snappylips

Thanks, A friend of mine add a tank to his maybe Ill try that. My comprsser is pretty quiet.