Rust!, Help prevent cancer...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rust!, Help prevent cancer...

I recently traded in my '97 Lariat. Hated to do it 'cause she was low miles, a good runner and great looker - but the cancer got her. Pennsylvania uses a ton of salt in the winter so I kept if off the road as best I could during the winter. Power washed underneath often, always after muddin'. Fact is, truck spent most of the time parked in my driveway (outdoors). Just took delivery of my new '06 and it's sweet. Want to keep it that way for a long time. I ordered a Noah car cover to help keep the rain / sap and junk off it, but want to know if anyone has suggestions how to prevent rust. My '97 started with the brake lines all rusting out. Then went the bottoms of the doors, followed by the rockers - both from the inside out. I've heard of guys using some kind of special paint on the brake lines. What can I squirt into the bottoms of the doors and rockers to guarantee my new baby doesn't go to an early grave?

Old 09-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just get the whole underside oil sprayed (inside doors, fenders etc.) once a year. this will greatly reduce the chance of the cancer eating your new truck away like your last one. good luck

Old 09-14-2006, 05:58 PM
Get it undercoated NOW!

Old 09-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Or you could do what most "car guys" did when I lived back home in Minnesota -- winter beater!

Put all the ugly winter miles on your "rusty but trusty" beater (maybe you should have kept your old truck -- sounds like it would have been perfect for this duty) while your shiny new baby is tucked safely away in the garage for a long winter's sleep!

Old 09-19-2006, 06:06 AM
Cool

i plan on preping to bare metal then primer then paint and still this truck wont see a winter just like them really clean or muddy but no rust

Old 09-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Oh yeah Pennsylvania winters are very harsh on your cars & trucks. Rust prevention... a little too late on my Supercrew ( Not my fault, bought it rusted out, never forget to look underneith when buying a truck ) So many things underneith have broke and I have been under re-welding... This trucks my daily getter though. I need another Supercrew, i'm out looking for a black '02 - '03 Lariat with tan int, & wont settle for anything less man mine ( no XLTs, & i want a moonroof!!! & a 6 disk!! ) Hopeflly the summer of 2007, someone else can rescue my Triton.

But anyways, wanna see my spare tire? can you say "dial roadside service incase of flat"

Last edited by ws6_guyscrew; 09-21-2006 at 10:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Rust!, Help prevent cancer...