Dent removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dent removal

It seems that somehow i got a dent in the top of my tailgate. Not sure how, i dont see it happening by me since it would hit the bumper first ...... but anyway. It did not do any paint damage and i am thinking i could push it out from the inside. Is there a way to take off the back of the tailgate (i am not sure if it is part of my factory bedliner or not).

Thanks

Old 09-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are dent removal guys out there, but beware. There are also scammers saying they can remove your dent. Here is my personal history with that.

06 Mustang GT two weeks old. Got vandalized with four large dents on driverside rear quarter panel and driverside door. Normal collision places quoted 1800 to fix it. I called a paintless dent removal guy. He came out and got all but one tiny dent out for $125. One small dent he could not get at. That small dent will cost me $800 at any competent body guy. Nobody will pound out, fill and paint in Las Vegas. Nope they have to replace the whole goddam rear quarter panel for a dent the size of a freaking dime!
Hard to get good help now days. Makes me sick!

Old 09-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah, i went to a paintless dent guy today and he quoted me $175. Seems the tailgate is a hard area to do because you can't get behind it. I don't knw why they had to make it one solid piece. I am going to go get some other quotes and see what others think. I really wanna get it fixed soon because i have only made 3 payments and i got a long way to go.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by 06STX4x4
Yeah, i went to a paintless dent guy today and he quoted me $175. Seems the tailgate is a hard area to do because you can't get behind it. I don't knw why they had to make it one solid piece. I am going to go get some other quotes and see what others think. I really wanna get it fixed soon because i have only made 3 payments and i got a long way to go.
My only suggestion is to go right to the dent guys and not to a body shop. A shop usually just hires the dent guys and then tacks on money on top of that.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The paintless dent removal guys are, generally speaking, VERY good. My father had a baseball ding removed from his roof a year or two ago. After seeing a before and after, I was VERY impressed.

I've heard multitudes of folks here on the forums mention that they've solved similar problems for them.

RP

Old 09-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd recommend PDR (Piantless Dent Removal) too, with a few cautions. First, there are a lot of folks doing it and with any population, you'll have the good, the bad and the ugly. So do some checking. I can tell you that the best guys are awesome though.

That said, PDR will not work in all cases - like mine for instance. (My rotten luck continues.) If you have a very hard to access area and / or a crease in a body panel right where your dent is, the results may not be as good. Remember, no two dents are created equal.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Thats what i am scared of, top of the tailgate. So of course in one dent i am in the worst area twice,end of teh panel and hard to get to place.
Aint i lucky.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Just had one removed on my black 06 last week, part of the bed I never thought they could reach. Some PDR guys work out of dealerships with members of the service staff at the dealership who are trained to assess the dent size and location to tell you if its possible...at least that is what the dealership I went to told me. Anyway I would do it again without question he (dent wizard) did a fantastic job. Cant even tell it was ever dented.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Only one way to find out. Ask a few different PDR guys for their opinions - which are free!

Old 09-14-2006, 12:56 PM
I have looked and looked and unfortunately i can only find one true PDR guy.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:19 PM
And his answer was? .....

Old 09-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
And his answer was? .....
That was the 3rd post

Old 09-15-2006, 09:25 AM
OK, but that doesn't tell me what he said. The guys I talked to on my dent both said they could get 90-95% of it out - which the one guy did. Although it's not perfect, it's VERY hard to see / find unless you're looking at it in just the right light. I'll take that (and the smaller bill) in place of traditional body work where you can almost always tell it's been painted.

Quick Reply: Dent removal