Scrapes??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scrapes??

Blue 2004STX. I ran across some bushes but its not deep but still noticeable. Whats the best product to get???

Old 09-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Maguires scratchX. I once let my dad drive my truck and he hit a telephone pole going about 5mph. It scatched up the bumber bad. With some ScratchX and elbow grease you cant even tell.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:20 PM
Yep. Scratch-x should do the trick for you. Unless, that is, you are experienced with a rotary, but from the sound of it, you aren't. But with a rotary, there's plenty more options.

Scratch-x is definately worth the price, though. I have found it to be indespensible in the realm of having a good-looking truck. It will take away those marks as long as they're not into the colorcoat. If they are...DOOM ON YOU!!!
j/k. If they're in the colorcoat, get a Motorcraft touch up pen from the stealership that matches your paint code. It's virtually impossible to tell on small areas that it's been done. (They have a ballpoint pen version now, so the clunky brushes are a thing of the past.)

Good luck

Old 09-17-2006, 12:48 PM
I just used the Scratch x but when up close it is still noticeable. Would a buffer along with the x help???

Old 09-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TXhustla
I just used the Scratch x but when up close it is still noticeable. Would a buffer along with the x help???
Would it help? Probably but, remember, you only have so much clear coat to work with and then you're in to the color coat. Once you've burned through the clear, you're really crap out of luck...

Some scratches *cannot* be totally removed.

Old 09-17-2006, 04:09 PM
PICS please. And, yes, RP is (once again) right. After you grind through your clear, you're SOL.

Old 09-17-2006, 06:28 PM
I would not recommend using a buffer with ScratchX .. it can be a major pain in the butt to remove if you alow it to dry on the paint, and you cross that line in a real hurry if you use a "buffer" when applying it ..

Old 09-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Moderator &

True... plus, Scratch-X doesn't really play nice with a buffer. Beyond being a booger to remove, it has a tendency to 'gum up' and really thrash a buffing pad.

S-X is, generally speaking, a 'by hand' product.

-RP-

Old 09-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Would it help? Probably but, remember, you only have so much clear coat to work with and then you're in to the color coat. Once you've burned through the clear, you're really crap out of luck...

Some scratches *cannot* be totally removed.
It didnt get into the color coat. If I Turtle Waxed it after the X would this help?

Old 09-22-2006, 10:32 PM
It didnt get into the color coat. If I Turtle Waxed it after the X would this help?
%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 09-23-2006, 01:45 AM
Moderator &

Sorry bud. Must have missed this one...

It's not going to hurt but, I'd recommend getting the vast majority of it out of the paint before moving to a 'last step' product like wax.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Sorry bud. Must have missed this one...

It's not going to hurt but, I'd recommend getting the vast majority of it out of the paint before moving to a 'last step' product like wax.
I put as much elbow grease as possible, could wax make it go away even more??

Old 09-23-2006, 01:33 PM
As far as I know, wax will not fill it in any, whereas a filler product (I believe #7 is a filler, right?) will conceal it more.

Although I say wax doesn't fill any, it can conceal it somehow (a little bit). Depending on the color, method of application, wax, etc., you can concievably hide around 30% of swirls...until the wax wears off. I don't know how efffective this will be for your more major scratch, but it's definately going to help some.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by f-150sport03
As far as I know, wax will not fill it in any, whereas a filler product (I believe #7 is a filler, right?) will conceal it more.
Incorrect. #7 is a pure polish. Simply for 'pop'; no filling... You're thinking about #9.

Although I say wax doesn't fill any, it can conceal it somehow (a little bit). Depending on the color, method of application, wax, etc., you can concievably hide around 30% of swirls...until the wax wears off. I don't know how efffective this will be for your more major scratch, but it's definately going to help some.
Kind of right... some waxes will aid in helping to conceal however; will not remove. Other waxes will help to remove and also do a bit of concealing. Any product that reads 'cleaner wax' will have some sort of additive to the mix that can help to conceal and/or remove problem spots. Different manufacs use different techniques to make paint blemishes go away.

30% removal is probably a fair number. I would lean, if any direction, lower though. Meguiar's Color-X is an example of a more aggressive cleaner wax whereas their standard 'Cleaner Wax' is more on the lower end of removal (it offers more filling capabilities).

Lastly TX, you need to be aware that you only have so much clear to work with to 'remove' this problem. Concealing it may not be a bad option if you're not comfortable going after this scratch in a more aggressive fashion. While I know you'd like to work with the products on your shelf, I would probably recommend adding one more (to the tune of around $8) so that you can attempt to handle this in a better fashion than simply trying to 'wax it out'.

But, even before I did that, I'd probably hit it a few more times with the Scratch-X... how many times have you tried it? Are you doing it per the instructions?

RP

Old 09-23-2006, 04:19 PM
I put as much elbow grease as possible, could wax make it go away even more??
If you haven't read this article about Scratch X then take a look at it.

How to use Scratch X

Quick Reply: Scrapes??