How many of you clayed your truck when brand new?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cskrmetti
I'm off for the next three days, and you can only cut the grass so many times before that gets old. So I was thinking of claying my truck tommorrow. I am wondering how many of you out there clayed your BRAND NEW F150 within a month of getting it? If so, how much of a difference did it make? Mine isn't brand new (9 months old) but without many flaws I am wondering how much a difference claying will make. Either way I am going to do it. I just wanted to see how many hardcore clay believers are out there.
Hey! I noticed our Trucky are looks similar except I got Stock Rims here's mine after was been Clayed, Polished, Waxed and Waxed

Old 09-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Clayed mine the first weekend after it came home....I was amazed with the amount of stuff that came off after the dealer "detailed" it.

Woof
Bowser

Old 09-23-2006, 01:33 AM
Ok so I did it. I washed, clayed, polished, and waxed. I started around 3:30 and finished the truck around 7:30. I will admit that I was very skeptical about clay products. I didn't think it would work very well. Also, no offense but I did not believe you about the raildust. I had never heard of it before this post and figured that it was just one more thing for people to be **** about. I couldn't get any pics because it was dark when I finished so I will have to take some pics on Saturday morning.

Before I get into the details of this let me first preface with the following. This week I just accepted a new job working an office job at an oil refinery. As you can imagine this is a heavily industrial area and my parking lot is about 200 yards away from a steam tower. One day this week the steam tower was really going good and I had about a thousand water spots all over the truck. I keep the truck washed and waxed regularly. Knowing that my truck would be in this enviroment everyday, I wanted to strip it down and get some fresh protection on there.

Here are a few pics before the truck was touched today.

As you can see the water spots were pretty bad. All that waxing before paid off as these came up pretty easily with just washing.

After wash pics of hood

So after I washed I got right to it with the clay. I started with the hood section. With the first few wipes it was crazy. The clay that had been touching the hood was a shade of brown from the dirt that it picked up. By the way I use the two bucket method. The clay did pick up quite a bit of stuff from the sides of the truck but not much dirt at all. The hood was a whole 'nother world though. The amount of dirt stuck on the hood was insane after a fresh wash. Upon very close inspection, I found a TON of raildust on the hood. I found some on the rest of the truck but the hood was unbeliveable. There was probably one speck for every square inch. I was able to get about 80% of the truck but what remained would not come up, so I guess it is stuck there unless I use more aggressive clay.

I will say that I am now a believer in claying and I will verify the existance of raildust. Once I finished the claying process I used Meguiars Cleaner Wax followed by NXT. The paint really sucked up the wax I guess that has to do with the blank canvas the clay had left behind.

The products I used were NXT wash, Megiuars Quick Clay, Meguiars Cleaner Wax, and NXT wax. I used a 10" random orbital to apply the wax and terry towels to remove. Tommorrow morning I will snap some pics of the finsihed product and give you guys a heads up.

Sorry for the low res pics. These were taken with a 1.3 megapixel camera phone. My digital is broken and we haven't gotten another yet.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:41 AM
Suspended
Exclamation

The first thing I do when I buy a car/truck is take it home and give it a REAL full detail starting with a thorough wash and claying.

New cars have tons of rail dust, fallout, and all that other crap on them from sitting on the lot with infrequent washes. Usually the dealers just rinse them w/o actually soaping..so whatever doesn't rinse off gets metled on pretty good.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:57 AM
More pics

Upclose of the front passenger door

Rear passenger door

Hood from the mirror POV

Quick Reply: How many of you clayed your truck when brand new?