Layering waxes???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Layering waxes???

I know this is a stupid question but, i've become confused recently. I have seen the idea of using carnuba as a topper? Does that mean that you apply it on top of another wax, for example NXT?
For example i see a lot of people use a 7/26 combo. Is 26 a wax, or another polish? I recently orderd some number 7, and nxt wax. I was going to clay and polish, and wax my truck, but i want to make sure there isn't a step i am missing. Like a second coat of wax, or a topper? can someone explain the concept of a "topper"? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-23-2006, 05:15 PM
I have done this. I first apply a coat of NXT and then apply a second coat of Adam's Butter Wax.

I find the the NXT lasts longer than the Butter Wax, but I can get a little better shine from the ButterWax.

Last edited by Mark05KR; 09-23-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by red06f150
I know this is a stupid question but, i've become confused recently. I have seen the idea of using carnuba as a topper? Does that mean that you apply it on top of another wax, for example NXT?
For example i see a lot of people use a 7/26 combo. Is 26 a wax, or another polish? I recently orderd some number 7, and nxt wax. I was going to clay and polish, and wax my truck, but i want to make sure there isn't a step i am missing. Like a second coat of wax, or a topper? can someone explain the concept of a "topper"? Any help would be appreciated.
What Mark mentioned is generally what most of us like to do when 'layering' a product.

Personally, I like the appearance that a carnauba-based wax yields as the last step as it typically makes the appearance more rich and deep versus 'glossy' (as is the case with most synthetics).

The last step will also add just a touch of additional protection.

There is a limit to how many layers can be 'layered'. The Law of Diminishing Returns kicks in -- this, very simply put, means that you can only layer so much before you're simply removing the layer that was beneath rather than adding a new layer. This number is, typically, somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 or 4 layers.

With your 7/NXT/26 combo, I'd go with a single layer of 7 on bare paint (meaning that you've washed, clayed, etc) and then follow it with two layers of NXT (spaced at 12 hour intervals) and then a final 'topper' coat of #26.

Old 09-23-2006, 05:43 PM
I've heard that you cannot really layer most waxes unless it is designed for layering, like Zaino.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:00 PM
You can layer about any "good" wax. Here is a good thread that discusses the use of layering the NXT product. Layering NXT

Old 09-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by cskrmetti
I've heard that you cannot really layer most waxes unless it is designed for layering, like Zaino.
As long as it is not a cleaner/wax you should be fine with layering.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:19 PM
I'm not sure either way, just repeating what I heard. A guy that I worked with who detailed his Z28 for shows told me that doing NXT and then topping with carnuba was a complete waste of time.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Well, NXT all by itself is an excellent product.

By the way. Meguiars recommends 2 coats for NXT. I have used NXT alone and have been very happy with the results. I have also used NXT topped with ButterWax and been more happy with the results.

You are going to have to try things yourself and find out your own effort to results ratio.

Don't listen to anyone else, believe your own eyes!

Old 09-23-2006, 09:17 PM
I usually do two thin coats of NXT just to be sure that I cover everything.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:49 AM
Moderator &

I'm not sure either way, just repeating what I heard. A guy that I worked with who detailed his Z28 for shows told me that doing NXT and then topping with carnuba was a complete waste of time.
Unfortunately, your detailer friend/coworker is incorrect.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:55 PM
A guy that I worked with who detailed his Z28 for shows told me that doing NXT and then topping with carnuba was a complete waste of time.

It's all on your opinion. He may have liked the glossy look, and probably waxed so often that it wasn't a protection factor as much as for someone else. It's also what your definition of a waste is. I don't mind spending several hours every weekend detailing different vehicles. Some people woudln't spend more than an hour a year washing. It's all in your eyes.

Personally, the NXT then Carnauba is my favorite look out there. It offers a great shine with a richness, not to mention the fail-safe of using 2 different kinds of waxes. And, the ease of mind that I never have to worry about whether I have a missed spot, since I went over the entirity of the paint at least 2 times, I know that I've surely covered every inch at least once. But, that's all IMO. YOURS is what counts.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:24 PM
I just do single thick coats of Zaino and it gets me the protection I want, and the shine I want

Old 09-24-2006, 10:26 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by ws6_guyscrew
I just do single thick coats of Zaino and it gets me the protection I want, and the shine I want
It's kind of useless to apply any type of paint protection product 'thick'. Remember, only a minuscule, very very thin microscopic layer of protection is being left behind...

Old 09-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
It's kind of useless to apply any type of paint protection product 'thick'. Remember, only a minuscule, very very thin microscopic layer of protection is being left behind...
hmmmmmm good to know, What I do is apply with a basic applicator pad and smooth it around, then I have another pad I go over with, not for getting excess wax, I dont apply sloppy, but to make sure it is all sealed up, But thanks for the tip man

Old 09-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Hey, everyone,

I have used Zaino, NXT Tech Wax, Meg's #16,Meg's #21, and collinite Fleet wax on my vehicles and I find the best application method is very thin layers. Z specifically calls for thin layers. All these products will perform better ( easy to remove) with a multiple of thin layers. 2 coats of 21 via pc will make my vehicle shine and they come right off with minimal effort.

Andrew Parshall

Quick Reply: Layering waxes???