Which one is better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which one is better?

I need to get out some light scratches and water spots. Is a foam pad (like then that comes with wax) or a microfiber covered pad better? I will be doing it by hand and using Megs ScratchX.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ticman
I need to get out some light scratches and water spots. Is a foam pad (like then that comes with wax) or a microfiber covered pad better? I will be doing it by hand and using Megs ScratchX.
I prefer a clean foam applicator when applying ScratchX by hand.. I feel more comfortable with one if I have to use some force .. less likely to mar the finish than a terry or microfiber is, in my opinion ..

but if it is a good quality microfiber pad, it will work fine for you ..

Old 10-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Foam.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Better off using the Foam pad

Old 10-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to go against the trend here and say a TERRY applicator might be the best...

IMO, the terry will offer a bit more 'cut' than will the foam or MF. After application, I'd use the foam to finish.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
I'm going to go against the trend here and say a TERRY applicator might be the best...

IMO, the terry will offer a bit more 'cut' than will the foam or MF. After application, I'd use the foam to finish.
just gota be different, don't ya .. j/k

actually never thought about it that way ... it definately mkes sense..

I feel the need to do a test...

Old 10-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
just gota be different, don't ya .. j/k

actually never thought about it that way ... it definately mkes sense..

I feel the need to do a test...

personally, i use a terry cloth. same reason...it cuts better. then i use a foam applicator for a final polish/wax.

i also just tried out the mg's colorx. works great! masked most of the waterspots from my wifes car and the shine is excellent too. just need to see how long it lasts...

Old 10-12-2006, 01:27 AM
the foam pad of course...

Old 10-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Well, tried the ScratchX yesterday afternoon with a foam pad and the water spots are still there. I washed then clayed to hood again. I used a foam pad and worked one spot over four times with enough elbow grease my arms are sore this morning. I probably still have to much wax over the top of the spots. You can't see them in sunlight. You have to look at the reflection of a night light on the hood and look just to the side. Since I couldn't see them before I have several coats of NXT on it now.

RockPick, I gonna try again with the a terry appilcator. I'm also thinking of getting some Meg's #2 fine cut. What would be a good way to get the wax off?

Thanks

Old 10-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick

Rock, I say foam not knowing the ability of the people using the products. They could fubar it otherwise

So, if you know what your doing, then terry is fine. If you don't, foam it

Old 10-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by 98Navi
Rock, I say foam not knowing the ability of the people using the products. They could fubar it otherwise

So, if you know what your doing, then terry is fine. If you don't, foam it
You bring a good point as well... hard call not knowing the end user.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:15 PM
You bring a good point as well... hard call not knowing the end user.
Just so you guys will know where I’m coming from, here’s a little back ground. My Dad owned a body shop for about 35 years. He’s retired now. I have sanded, grinded, bondo’ed, primed, panted and detailed cars with a rotary buffer. I’ve used a rotary buffer to help blend in a quarter panel. Or course that was quite a few years ago before clear coat paint was widely used so that should tell you how long it’s been since I did any serious detailing.

If I can’t get these water spots taken care of by hand I’m thinking of getting a Porter Cable 7424. Looks like a very easy machine to use. Sure would help with my sore triceps too.

Ok, guys tell me what you think of this set up for the PC for getting the spots and scratches out.

Megs’ #2 Fine Cut with 7006 pad (only on top and hood)
Megs #9 Swirl Remover with 8006 pad
Meg’s NXT Tech wax on top with 9006 pad, take off with MF bonnet.

Thanks for the help…

Old 10-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Moderator &

Not a bad plan of attack...

Personally, I don't find much use for a 7006 pad on a PC though... I just don't think that the PC is capable of producing enough RPMs nor does it have enough power to really adequately utilize the 'cutting power' that this particular pad caries -- regardless of the product that you're using with it.

That being said, I've actually caused more problems than I have solved with the maroon pad on the PC... Soo... if it were me, I'd probably tend to lean a bit more towards the 8006 (yellow) with the Speed Glaze (#80) as Fine Cut is really more of a 'rotary only' type of product because of the diminishing microabrasives that are in this product.

You might even tap one more step in there -- that being #9 with a finishing pad before the NXT. You see, #9 is more of a 'filler' product than it is a 'removal' product. For many applications, this is A-O-K but, by the same token, you don't need that heavier cutting action that the yellow pad would provide... I've really grown fond of #9 on a finishing pad as of late -- especially on darker colors that are very finicky.

Roger that?

Oh yeah... if you decide to go the PC7424 route, check out www.autodetailingsolutions.com for a fantastic deal. Oodles of us here utilize them for supplies and they really have the absolute best deal going on a PC (the Meguiar's one -- labeled as the G100 -- it's the SAME machine as the 7424 with a lifetime warranty).

RP

Old 10-13-2006, 12:00 AM
I'd say, go with what rock says. I don't yet use enough of the megs products to tell you that. I have found that their leather treatment is rather good though

Old 10-13-2006, 07:13 AM
RockPick,

I sure do appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I have my dark red F-150 and my daughter’s dark blue Mazda to work on so I’ll skip the 7006 pad and go with the 8006 and the #80. I’ll follow the rest of your advice as well.

I was already looking at the www.autodetailingsolutions.com web site. I’m glad to hear that’s a good place to do business. Now if I can convince the wife to let me spend a couple hundred bucks. LOL!!!!!

Oh, BTW did you get your handle from a movie?

Tic

Last edited by Ticman; 10-13-2006 at 08:22 AM.