Winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winter

Winter coming how should i get the truck ready for all the salt adn snow and all that good stuff???

Old 10-17-2006, 07:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In addition to my regular maintenance, I spray WD-40 into all of my lock cylinders, lubricate all of my door hinges with White Lithium grease, apply Armor All to all of my door seals, switch to my "winter" floor mats and change over to the windshield washer fluid that actually melts ice. Oh yea, and in a month or so I'll do a full detail with 3 coats of Zaino to hold me until spring.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:03 PM
..... you forgot one of the most important items to the list.

Zanio the lightbar

I am assuming that as part of your 'regular maintenace' you will be switching out the 20's for your stock tires ????? You don't want me or any member of the brotherhood coming to your rescue do you????

Old 10-17-2006, 01:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tiny1
..... you forgot one of the most important items to the list.

Zanio the lightbar

I am assuming that as part of your 'regular maintenace' you will be switching out the 20's for your stock tires ????? You don't want me or any member of the brotherhood coming to your rescue do you????
Yea, I guess I kind of missed mentioning that. After all, doesn't everybody Zaino (or wax) their light bar, door jams, headlight lenses, rear inner fender wells, etc?

As for the 20's, oh yea, they're coming off soon. My plan is to replace the 17" Ameritrash all seasons with a "real" set of snow tires on the 18" Lariat rims I bought from a fellow member here. If I do go off the road, just look for the light show!

Old 10-17-2006, 01:42 PM
At least we are not in the Buffalo area with the mess that they got last week

Note: To those that are in the Buffalo area, it sucks to be without power, phone etc. for a long period of time. The ice storm that we had a few years ago, my county was one of the hardest hit in the state and I had no power for 3 or 4 days. Keep the faith and things will return back to normal.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks 2stroked. Reading this post made me go out in the drizzle and WD-40 my key cylinders and rub down my weather-stripping around the door seals with some silcone-based tire/rubber spray. My anti-freeze checked out ok. All five ***** floated. Now I need a few gallons of winter washer fluid, and maybe a couple bottles of stp fuel line freeze additive to keep my fuel lines from freezing up. I hope I can get one more coat of NXT on it before the white stuff starts flying.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:50 PM
give it a good final year wax and spray the underbody up every so often

Old 10-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Peacemaker
Thanks 2stroked. Reading this post made me go out in the drizzle and WD-40 my key cylinders and rub down my weather-stripping around the door seals with some silcone-based tire/rubber spray. My anti-freeze checked out ok. All five ***** floated. Now I need a few gallons of winter washer fluid, and maybe a couple bottles of stp fuel line freeze additive to keep my fuel lines from freezing up. I hope I can get one more coat of NXT on it before the white stuff starts flying.

this post made me realize that I don't miss living in Connecticut at all. (11 years of my life I will never get back, )

biggest thing for the winter, imo, other than protecting before hand is to keep as much salt off of it as possible.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
this post made me realize that I don't miss living in Connecticut at all. (11 years of my life I will never get back, )

biggest thing for the winter, imo, other than protecting before hand is to keep as much salt off of it as possible.
Yeah, we just have one, or maybe two bad snows during the winter. We'd be lucky to get a foot here in TN. So there's not much salting going on. I feel for you guys up North. Good luck with old man winter.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Yeah, we just have one, or maybe two bad snows during the winter. We'd be lucky to get a foot here in TN. So there's not much salting going on. I feel for you guys up North. Good luck with old man winter.

A foot of snow all winter?????? That easily could be from an overnight snow.
Winters are not too bad in this area once Lake Erie and Lake Ontario freeze over. Where I live, we can get some lake effect off from Erie, but when the winds come out of the NW, we get lake effect off from Ontario and it usually is wet and heavy. We average around 120-130" through the whole winter.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:54 AM
It snowed here last night, only 4" though, but more than 12" in the mountains.. I do my regular underhood maintenance and rotate and air up the tires ..

For the exterior I did Poorboys EX-P followed by 2 coats of Collinite 885 Fleetwax should be good for 5-6 months. Still need to apply some Aquapel.

The wifes ride got Meguiars #21 topped with Pinnacle Souveran wax...mmmmmmmm ( It's garaged all the time )

Old 10-18-2006, 11:26 AM
tiny1,

I meant a foot of snow at the most during one snowfall.

Padron,

My Dad is out in Wyoming doing surface mining, and he said it snowed alot up that way. He's out in the desert so I don't think they got much. It's supposed to warm up a little for the next few days though according to yahoo weather.

Where do you buy that Collinite 885 fleet wax if you don't mind?

Old 10-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Where do you buy that Collinite 885 fleet wax if you don't mind?
Hi,

Yeah, I hope it warms up it's like 25 degrees out now, Brrrrrrrrrrr

I bought the Collinite here:
http://www.mactecllc.com/collinite.asp

They have the full line and Free 2 day Priority shipping. The 885 Fleetwax is the same as the 476 but you get more for your money ( 476 = auto - 885 = marine, but they are the same product )

845 Insulator wax is also very good if you prefer liquid, they are all Extremely Durable. One of the most durable waxes available.

Last edited by Padron; 10-18-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Oh Yeah,

Collinite can also be found at Autopart stores usually in the Marine / boat section..

Old 10-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks Padron. I'll have to look into that.

Quick Reply: Winter