Spreading wax with hands.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spreading wax with hands.

I heard someone on the radio say it's best to spread car wax with the hands.I didn't have a chance to hear why, but maybe the warmth of the hands would allow wax to spread better than with an applicator. Sounds too messy to me.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:36 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
there was a video a little while back of this guy in england that is a professional car detailer, like to the tune of 5,000$ for a wash/wax

and he was applying by hand, but he was also using the most pure caranuba wax none to man.

And i agree too messy! I have a hard enough time keeping on a routine wash/wax cycle....

lets wait patiently for RPs opinion....
-Patrick

Old 10-20-2006, 03:05 AM
My opinion on this is that you would not be able to spread it as thin as you would if you were to use an applicator pad. If it is applied too thick, then you're just wasting wax and can cause difficulty in removing some waxes.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Suspended
Lightbulb

the reason why "that guy from England" uses his hands is because that specific wax is activated from him warming it in his hands.

For normal wax... ehhh... I mean, I guess you could do it and it wouldn't cause any harm, but seems awfulyl messy to me and I don't see it really serving a purpose. Plus, with the applicator I feel it would go on more evenyly.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:08 AM
You can go ahead and spread it on with your hands if you want to...be sure to leave all your rings and big belt buckles on while you do...

I believe I'll keep using the applicator pads, getting the proper thickness of wax on the surface.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but my hands are pretty rough enough after years of hard work. That alone is reason enough for me to use a pad. Besides, a pad will flex enough to get into those tight places that a hand just can't. I think the whole reason this guy advertises that he does it this way is what we might just call "marketing hype."

Old 10-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
I think the whole reason this guy advertises that he does it this way is what we might just call "marketing hype."
he does it that way because the manufacturer of the wax recommends doing it that way ..

from the zymol website http://www.zymol.com/vintage2.htm

Put a very small amount of the glaze to the palm of your hand. Use the warmth of your hands to melt the Carnauba. With your hand, gently apply the glaze in a light, even pattern over no more than two or three square feet of painted surface.

and if you are going to spend $1800 on a container of wax .. probably a good idea to apply it as recommended ..

Follow the manufacturer's application instructions for whatever product you are using .. that is almost always the best way to do it ..

Old 10-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Yea, with the Vintage, I too would apply by hand...With some of Zymols entry level waxes, I don't know if I would bother..

Victoria Wax also recommends hand application.

http://www.victoriawax.com/concourswax.htm

Old 10-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With all due respect, don't you think $1,800 for a bottle of car wax constitues just a wee bit of "marketing hype?" Frankly, I'm surprsed that they don't require one to "have it applied by scantily clad, blonde virgins" or something to support the price.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by OnBelay
You can go ahead and spread it on with your hands if you want to...be sure to leave all your rings and big belt buckles on while you do...

I believe I'll keep using the applicator pads, getting the proper thickness of wax on the surface.
IN ADDITION, PUT ON YOUR WRIST WATCH TOO!!!!

Old 10-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

With all due respect, don't you think $1,800 for a bottle of car wax constitues just a wee bit of "marketing hype?" Frankly, I'm surprsed that they don't require one to "have it applied by scantily clad, blonde virgins" or something to support the price.

Hey, it comes with free refills for life.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:42 PM

while you may be absolutely correct .. I would have to reserve final judgement until I actually used it, and since that will probably never happen .. lol

they recommend hand application of all of their estate glazes, even the cheap $164 one ..

I would love to know what it actually costs Zymol to make 22 ounces of that stuff ..

Old 10-20-2006, 08:10 PM
That wax is crazy. It actually hardens, and is suppose to last like a year or something stupid like that. That's part of the reason you can apply by hand. I wouldn't be worried about the mess of doing this with your own wax....I'd be worried about the nice scuffed finish you'd leave behind.:o

It's probably just a relabeled Meguire's thrown out there for those supercar driving douchebags (actually I'm just jealous). Cause if it's an $1,800 wax, it's gotta be good for my Ferrari! HAA!

Old 10-20-2006, 11:45 PM
The most efficiant way to apply wax is with an orbital buffer. It continuously applies the wax at the same pressure, making sure you get equal coverage all around. When applied by hand, you press harder and softer depending on how fatigued your hand is. This cuases unever levels of wax that will wear out faster or slower depending on thickness.

And the $5000 wax job is like the tornado or electric supercharger, a great scam that to many dumbazzes fall for

Quick Reply: Spreading wax with hands.