Water spots + glass

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water spots + glass

I was just wondering...

I was working on a friend's F-250, and he has some pretty bad water spots on the windshield. I used Simple Green, to get off all the dust, bugs, and some rubber residue from the wipers, then used Bar Keeper's Friend (the powder in the gold can) and water to try to abrasively remove the spots. I was able to remove 30-40% of them, but would like to get the rest out. Any ideas?

I know some of you are advocates of steel wool, but this guy is strongly against it. He's of the impression that it'll scratch/mar the glass to all hell. So, if there's anything in particular that I can use, or a really good argument as to why steel wool is safe (using the right kind, of course), please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help/input.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Have you tried claying it?
I've used steel wool on mine to remove tree sap and no problems.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:15 PM
I would never use steel wool. I didn't know it could even be used in the same sentence with safe. But I'd try a glass polishing product. Like autoglyms glass polish with the pad and a drill or rotary. And you could go to Autodetailingsolutions and do it with Meguiars heavy cut cleaner, a 3 in. wool pad. and a rotary or drill backing plate.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:54 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are some mechanical ways to remove them but, here's the 'less-hassle' way...

Just about any 'bathroom cleaner' has a low enough pH to remove it. Acidic cleaners will dissolve the spots. Naturally *NEVER* do this on paint but, on a semi-non porous media like glass, you're fine.

My personal favorite -- Kaboom. Purple bottle.

Spray on a terry rag AWAY from the vehicle where NO over spray or mist can find it's way to the paint. Wipe down the glass and glass only. Pay special attention to not get anything on rubber moldings, paint, plastic, etc, around the windshield. Presto.

Follow with a good glass cleaner like Eagle One 20/20, Stoners, NXT Glass or something that floats your boat and you're set.

RP

Old 10-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Suspended
fwiw, I've never seen steel wool scratch paint. The key? Get the right kind... there are different variations (weights).

You will often see it for sale on detailing supply sights (for a reason). Works great on chrome and glass.

Quick Reply: Water spots + glass